Please give me some hope!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Km41566

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have just finished my junior year of a BSN program and I have decided that I want to go to medical school. I was thinking of just finishing my nursing degree and then doing a post-bac program to pick up the extra science classes but now I am not so sure. From what I have read, there is prejudice against those with nursing degrees, and that makes me think that maybe I should change my major to something else. Please tell me that someone has been accepted to an MD school with a nursing degree!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I would suggest you finish the degree. You're awfully close to it. I've known several folks on a similar career track. The extra income during vacations is always welcome. Good luck!

Nurses should be whole heartedly encouraged in medical school. The greatest lobbyists for physicians have been MDs who were nurses. They are also credible in exposing the fallacies of nurse lobby propaganda( especially CRNA). During the campaigning to keep the CRNA supervision rule former CRNA who later became MDAs said they had done both and openly stated that there was simply no comparing the knowledge they had as nurses with what they have as physicians. Nurses who want to better thier education by going to medical school are right on the decision.....there is not short cut to assuming a physician's role.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with NuMD97, Go ahead and finish your program.

I think at this stage you should finish your BSN. You are too close. If you are looking at the formal post-bac programs, I'd think that one that acually gives you a master's degeree might be better. (If you can work part time as RN while in the program, so much the better, but don't do so at a sacrifice to your grades!)

HOWEVER, the best advice will come from a meeting with a representative of your nearest med school's admission department. Now is an ideal time to that. Be prepared to discuss a litte why you now think you'd rather have the MD role rather than the RN role. Just call the school's admisssion office and set up the meeting!

We each had our own experiences. Your experience doesn't have to be ours. And I know of several BSN in med school. Just be prepared that you may encoutner some bias.

K-,

Don't sweat it. Its possible because I'm doing it right now. I wouldn't let you be deterred by what people think. A lot of peole say stupid things all the time about this and that. But in the end, I value my nursing degree after seeing some of these 3rd and 4th years students @Hopkins know basically nothing in terms of clinical pratical work. Your nursing degree is a valued piece on your c.v. You are a licenses indivudal that is more than what many pre-med students do in terms of volunteering at the hospital or such. I'm working at Hopkins in their SICU/BICU and I can tell you that my work in direct patient contact will be a value in terms of understanding the physiology, pathology, pharmacology that is expected. Reading it on paper and actually treating indiduvals with specific conditions and utilizing a variety of medications and understood the treatment process will serve you well. Thats just my .02 cents