Please give me some opinions about my chances.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ichiro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
1) Overall GPA 3.7 and MCAT of 33 are the mean acceptee stats at Tufts. I'd suggest you aim higher for your MCAT score. We prefer you to list your total GPA from all post-high school institutions attended. If you haven't calculated it yet, use: http://medschool.ucsf.edu/postbac/pdf/AMCAS%20GPA_Calculator%20Version%204%20Final.xls

2) CC credits will hurt you at some schools; others don't care. You can call the admissions office if a school doesn't have the info on their website.

3) You need a leadership experience. And you didn't mention physician shadowing which is highly desirable to have.

4) You can access an MSAR after you have an MCAT score to decide where to apply. If it's not in your library, you can buy it on the AMCAS website.

5) No, don't bother delaying graduation for that.

1) Overall GPA 3.7 and MCAT of 33 are the mean acceptee stats at Tufts. I'd suggest you aim higher for your MCAT score. We prefer you to list your total GPA from all post-high school institutions attended. If you haven't calculated it yet, use: http://medschool.ucsf.edu/postbac/pdf/AMCAS%20GPA_Calculator%20Version%204%20Final.xls

2) CC credits will hurt you at some schools; others don't care. You can call the admissions office if a school doesn't have the info on their website.

3) You need a leadership experience. And you didn't mention physician shadowing which is highly desirable to have.

4) You can access an MSAR after you have an MCAT score to decide where to apply. If it's not in your library, you can buy it on the AMCAS website.

5) No, don't bother delaying graduation for that.

Thank you so much Mobius1985!
I have edited my GPAs.
The volunteer work that I have been doing does include physician shadowing.
Can I hear some examples of good leadership experience?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Can I hear some examples of good leadership experience?
Become a club officer. Serve on the student board of an organization. Become active in student government. Take the lead position iin a charity fund raiser and direct people in the task to get the job done. Lead a committee and get something to change. Help boyscouts with their badge requirments. Join the Army and lead others in maneuvers. Start a nonprofit foundation and do good works. Inspire, cause change, take on tasks no one else wants to do, motivate others. You get the idea.

Become a club officer. Serve on the student board of an organization. Become active in student government. Take the lead position iin a charity fund raiser and direct people in the task to get the job done. Lead a committee and get something to change. Help boyscouts with their badge requirments. Join the Army and lead others in maneuvers. Start a nonprofit foundation and do good works. Inspire, cause change, take on tasks no one else wants to do, motivate others. You get the idea.

I'm head chair of my college's professional procrastination society. We haven't done anything yet or even officially added any new members since it was initiated by me. Our policy is to support and spread the wonderful philosophy of procrastination in all shapes, forms, and sizes. Of course, I think that is what the mission statement would read if I ever got around to writing it.

I'm head chair of my college's professional procrastination society. We haven't done anything yet or even officially added any new members since it was initiated by me. Our policy is to support and spread the wonderful philosophy of procrastination in all shapes, forms, and sizes. Of course, I think that is what the mission statement would read if I ever got around to writing it.
You made me lauugh out loud. Nicely done. It would be interesting to see what adcomms would make of this activity description on the Primary application.

You made me lauugh out loud. Nicely done. It would be interesting to see what adcomms would make of this activity description on the Primary application.

Sorry Mobius. Your advice is always extremely thoughtful and sound. But I couldn't help smirking at the extreme "means to an end" examples rather than the pure "end in itself." I'm such a hypocrite myself though when it comes to Kantian moral ethics.

English: It sounded like you were encouraging the OP to become a gunner.

Last edited:
(Keeping JennaQ's comment in mind)
Warning to the OP: You will be considered a gunner if you do all the things I listed. One of them will be sufficient. If you can think up your own leadership activity, and it's something you'd love to do, it would be an even better choice.

I looked at Tufts website and the number for the entering class is a different from the numbers you gave me http://www.tufts.edu/med/admissions/index.html. May I ask where you obtained your numbers? I am guessing your numbers might be more up to date.

My numbers are from the School Selection spreadsheet sticky that you'll see at the top of this forum, which I understand was taken from the most recent MSAR.

Sourced From my copy of the 2009-2010 MSAR

Tufts:
Private Institution:
Dr. Michael Rosenblatt, Dean
Dr. David Neumeyer, Dean for Admissions
Colleen Romain, Director of Minority Affairs
Tara Olsen, Director of Financial Aid
Thomas M. Slavin, Director of Admissions
John Matias, Associate Dean of Admissions

Mission Statement: Not that important.

Earliest Filing Date: June 1, 2008
Latest filing date: January 15,2009

Latest MCAT considered: September 2008
Oldest MCAT considered: 2006

Breakdown of Accepted Applicants:
Community Service/Volunteer: 66%
Medically-Related Work: 82%
Research: 86%
Overall GPA: 3.4~3.9 with average of 3.7
Science GPA: 3.2~3.9 with average of 3.7

MCAT:
Verbal Reasoning: 9~13 with average of 11
Physical Sciences: 9~14 with average of 11
Biological Sciences: 9~14 with average of 11
Writing Sample: N~R with average of Q

Acceptance and Matriculation Data for 2007-2008

First Year Class:

Applied Residents: 713 Applied
Non-residents: 7802 Applied
International: 368
Total: 8883

Interviewed
R: 164
Interviewed NR: 676
International: 4
Total: 844

Deferred
R: 1 Deferred
NR: 6 Deferred
International: 0
Total: 7

Matriculated Total: 173/8883

Men: 90 Women: 83

Science and Math Majors: 66%

I'M NOT PROCRASTINATING. I SWEAR!

Last edited:
Thank you very much JennaQ. That 178/8883=2% acceptance rate really scares me there :D.

Isn't it totally worth it when you get in though? It's not like law school where they accept everyone and their mom. And the kids you'll be studying with will be creme de la creme... hopefully.