Do I just give up on medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coca_cola

Reaction score
Major: Biological sciences
community college cumulative: 3.03 (freshmen & sophomore years)
University Cumulative GPA: 3.54 (Upwards trend?)
AACOMAS sGPA: 3.22
AACOMAS cGPA: 3.33
MCAT: 493 (2022) --> 496 (2023)

ECs:
- Clinical Work Hours (Medical Scribe): 4000+ hours for 2.5 years
- Hospital Volunteer (ER): 300 Hours for 1 year
- Academic research: 300+ Hours for 1 year (2 semesters, no publications)
- Clinical research: 300+ hours for 1 year (during COVID, no publications, paid)
- Club Involvements: Co-founder & president - 800+ hours of community work, food distributions, clothes, helping local farms.
- Physician Shadowing (MD): 130 Hours
- My activities also include my employment over the years - I worked 3 different full-time jobs since the beginning of college till now, and my activities are written in a way that relates my employment to medicine.
- LOR: 1 M.D, 3 Professors
- Dean's Honor List '18,'19

Additional Information:
- I am 25 years old, graduated in '20, worked through COVID-19 to support my family, mcat '22, and '23. Post-bacc started in '23, but couldn't afford to pay for more than one class (4.0 GPA post-bacc but 3 credits only)
- Middle-Eastern (considered white on apps so I guess ORM), First-generation college attendee, English second language, family received public assistance
- Some important grade breakdowns:
General Chemistry1&2: 1-C, 2(C-, retook it A)
General Biology (from intro class to most advanced): C, B+,B,A,B+,B,B,A,B,A
General Physics1&2: A and B
Organic Chemistry1&2: A and C

- AACOMAS sGPA "Upwards Trend" Breakdown:
Freshman: 2.43
Sophomore: 2.00
Junior: 3.49
Senior: 3.34
- AACOMAS cGPA "Upwards Trend" GPA Breakdown:
Freshman: 3.16
Sophomore: 2.99
Junior: 3.28
Senior: 3.41

My thoughts: My AACOMAS app is ready and verified, did some secondaries for some programs. Do I have a chance at any DO programs??

If not: my plan is to study for the MCAT again and register for 6 credits Post-bac (2 classes). MCAT in March/April, aim for 505, and apply in 2024.

Members don't see this ad.

You might have a chance at brand new DO programs, but I would advise applying next year instead on time and getting your mcat score up.

Hello, I wouldn’t apply with that MCAT score since you don’t have a super high GPA to offset it either and you may not be competitive against other ORM’s. I think it would really benefit you to try to retake the MCAT and score significantly better and/or try a DIY postbacc to show you can do well in upper level sciences.

If you do decide to apply anyway I would look at which schools take lower MCAT’s/ have no minimums and maybe whose mission your app theme aligns with.

Another idea you could do is focus your attention on applying to a DO bridge or linkage program. Most of the programs I’ve seen only require 492-496 MCAT, and you usually get the benefit of a masters (which will raise your gpa as well as giving you better chances to get in to a specific school, unless you decide you still want to retake the MCAT and try a full cycle again).

Just my thoughts as I’ve been in your position.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would suggest trying for an SMP, or doing a year of upper level science classes (DIY Postbacc). Your MCAT score will be a killer at most MD schools, unless you can get it up to 510+

Reactions: 1 users
You might have a chance at brand new DO programs, but I would advise applying next year instead on time and getting your mcat score up.
I agree. OP, your MCAT scores are in the risk for you to fail out of med school/and/or fail Boards. No med school is doing you any favors by admitting you when you're at risk (although the Carib predators would love to).

Just do not take the exam until you are 100% ready for it. Med schools aren't going anywhere.
I would suggest trying for an SMP, or doing a year of upper level science classes (DIY Postbacc). Your MCAT score will be a killer at most MD schools, unless you can get it up to 510+
I also agree. While an SMP is high risk.high reward, it's a back door into med school.

Welcome to the forums!

General Biology (from intro class to most advanced): C, B+,B,A,B+,B,B,A,B,A
I have no idea what this means... what classes are your more advanced ones? I would expect you to nail A's. not B's near the end of this record.

You've been a scribe for 4000 hours. Why are you not considering being a physician assistant? You won't have to take the MCAT (GRE may not be required depending on the program)? If getting in somewhere in the immediate future is your goal, why is PA not in your picture?

You could try these DO schools with your stats:
VCOM (all 4 schools)
LMU-DCOM
ACOM
WCU-COM
UIWSOM
LUCOM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
LECOM (all schools)
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
BCOM
DUQCOM
BUCOM
Orlando (new school that will be accepting applications soon)
Noorda-COM
RVU-Montana
Touro-Montana
ICOM
Many of these schools have MCAT medians in the 498 to 502 range so you could receive interviews.

Welcome to the forums!

I have no idea what this means... what classes are your more advanced ones? I would expect you to nail A's. not B's near the end of this record.

You've been a scribe for 4000 hours. Why are you not considering being a physician assistant? You won't have to take the MCAT (GRE may not be required depending on the program)? If getting in somewhere in the immediate future is your goal, why is PA not in your picture?
I actually was offered an MA job at my local family doctor clinic, do MA jobs usually look better than scribing? The clinic I did scribing for, had also clinical research in it. It was a huge clinic with 5 doctors, that is why I chose it. I worked with multiple NPs and PAs at the clinic too. Honestly idk I have never thought about switching to PA. I always wanted to become an endo physician.

I have a 509 and am getting no love from any medical schools. The MCAT is important, but so is the rest of your application. Continue to do meaninful extracurriculars and study for the MCAT.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users