1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

please guide

Discussion in 'International Dental' started by dentokid, May 26, 2008.

1. dentokid

2+ Year Member

I am from India. I have given the nbde part1 but have been rejected by many dental schools for the advanced placement program. Can any one guide me what should i do now. My part1 score is 87 in new format. and i have a very good toefl score.
    1) I heard from many people about the summer research programs? what are these and what should i do to get into them.
    2) should i join a ortho or paedo course. Is a certificate course suffient to upgrade my C.V. Which universities can I apply as I come to U.S. only on the tourist visa. I dont have citizenship of u.s. and i am slso not a resident of united states.
    Can I join 1 yr general practice dental residency? Am i eligible.
    3) Should I regive part1, as my scores are neither sufficient to help me enter any IDP program or any other course.
    I am feeling helpless. Your suggesions will help me definately.
    good luck to all the applicants

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Ibanez

Ibanez Hai Ya!
    2+ Year Member

Dental Student

Well take GRE, get a real-high score and apply for MPA/MPH/or other health-science related fields at good universities. You have an option of either joining 1/2 yr program... If you score high on GRE, you'll be able to get into a good 1 yr program.

Once in a program, try to maintain good class average... (try to stay in top 5) If you're hard-working and your class-scores are good then you might get an opportunity to be a 'Teaching Assistant' (that way your tuition fee for rest of your semesters will be waved-off). Also try to involve yourself in research projects.

Once done with such program, you can either work as a Public Health Personnel or you can consider re-taking NBDE Part 1. (Or if your GPA is stellar by then, your application will be good enough without even re-taking your Part 1)

Good Luck,
    Mayank.
    PS Well this is what I would have done if I were you!