PLEASE HELP. Advice on my chances of getting into dental school? (Low sGPA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalproduction

Reaction score
Hi, to whoever ends up reading this thank you so much in advance!

I am currently a senior public health major in college. I am really stressed right now because I was planning on applying to dental school in the summer of 2020, so I already knew I'd be taking a gap year. However, after realizing my sgpa is very low, I'm stressed about my options. I only really decided last year that I wanted to go to dental school, so I know I'm pretty late to the game. I'm looking for advice as to whether I really have a chance at applying next year with my low stats. I haven't taken the DATs yet, which I know is a big determining factor, but I still wanted to try and get some opinions regardless.

Overall GPA: 3.6
Science GPA: 3.1 (it's low I know)
Shadowing Experience:
40 hours at general dentist, 100+ at orthodontist's office,
Employment: Currently work at an orthodontist's office as a dental assistant
Research: Involved in 2 different research projects. One is bio-related and I've been involved with it for 2 years. Other is public-health related, and I've been involved for 1.5 years; will be presenting research at national conference
Other Extracurriculars: Volunteered for a state non-profit that focuses on oral health-based initiatives for past 5 months; secretary of pre-dental club on campus; started tutoring the past semester; also involved with local non-profit for 2 years of college

PLEASE GIVE ME AN HONEST OPINION. I know it's hard without DAT scores, but I think I can bring my sgpa up to a 3.2 by June of 2020, and if I can get a 21+ on my DATs, do you think it's worth applying the summer of 2020 or should I try and go for a post-bacc or masters?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user

I am currently a senior public health major in college. I am really stressed right now because I was planning on applying to dental school in the summer of 2020, so I already knew I'd be taking a gap year. However, after realizing my sgpa is very low, I'm stressed about my options. I only really decided last year that I wanted to go to dental school, so I know I'm pretty late to the game. I'm looking for advice as to whether I really have a chance at applying next year with my low stats. I haven't taken the DATs yet, which I know is a big determining factor, but I still wanted to try and get some opinions regardless.

Shadowing Experience:
Research: Involved in 2 different research projects. One is bio-related and I've been involved with it for 2 years. Other is public-health related, and I've been involved for 1.5 years; will be presenting research at national conference
Other Extracurriculars: Volunteered for a state non-profit that focuses on oral health-based initiatives for past 5 months; secretary of pre-dental club on campus; started tutoring the past semester; also involved with local non-profit for 2 years of college

PLEASE GIVE ME AN HONEST OPINION. I know it's hard without DAT scores, but I think I can bring my sgpa up to a 3.2 by June of 2020, and if I can get a 21+ on my DATs, do you think it's worth applying the summer of 2020 or should I try and go for a post-bacc or masters?
I think you should at least apply to a couple of schools. People get in with lower than your statistics all the time. Just focus on performing well on your DAT. I think as long as you get a 20 AA, you’ll have a good chance of getting an acceptance. Good luck! I can look up specific school stats for you in the ADEA guide to dental schools book if you need.

I think you should at least apply to a couple of schools. People get in with lower than your statistics all the time. Just focus on performing well on your DAT. I think as long as you get a 20 AA, you’ll have a good chance of getting an acceptance. Good luck! I can look up specific school stats for you in the ADEA guide to dental schools book if you need.
Hi thank you so much for your advice! I was kind of having a mental breakdown about my stats so I appreciate you giving me your opinion. Also, that would be so incredibly helpful if you don't mind!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi thank you so much for your advice! I was kind of having a mental breakdown about my stats so I appreciate you giving me your opinion. Also, that would be so incredibly helpful if you don't mind!
Yes. Just private message me schools you’re interested in and I’ll print screen the statistics and send to you.

Yes, as long as you get a 19+ on the Dat it is definitely worthwhile to apply.

Like Aarob said, just pull a 19AA and a 20 TS minimum. You’ll be good.

Reactions: 1 users

Shadowing Experience:

No bets without DAT official results and a sense of what biomedical core classes beyond your prerequisites were gradewise. What classes make up that science GPA?

Sent from my SM-N960U using SDN mobile