SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Please help Canadian

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by grad01, May 16, 2002.

  1. grad01

    grad01 Junior Member

    Sep 5, 2001
    West Coast
    Can anyone tell me if it's true that Canadians can't practise dentistry in New York State because only U.S. citizen can get licensed there?
    I've been accepted to Loma Linda as well as SUNY Buffalo U. but I prefer to attend the latter. Now I'm worried that the option of working in NY State is closed to me and I can't even do the extra year of Residency there.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Frank Cavitation

    Frank Cavitation Game Center Arashi 7+ Year Member

    Mar 25, 2002
    ON, Canada
    not too clear about the details, but I think you can take the board exams for NE states and practice. I know for a fact somebody without US citizenship graduated from Toronto and did a year of residency in buffalo
  4. Big_Poppa DDS

    Big_Poppa DDS Senior Member 7+ Year Member

    Sep 29, 2001
    Sault Ste. Marie
    You can do the residency, but not work unless you get a green card. You should contact the NY state licensing board.
  5. gryffindor

    gryffindor Dentist 10+ Year Member

    Feb 2, 2002
    Hello grad01, I know one student that graduated this year from Buffalo and is going to do a General Practice Residency in New York. So you can do a residency, but I don't know if you can practice in NY state. You can practice in other states b/c the Canadians at our school still take the NERBs meaning there must be states in the Northeast that will let Canadians practice, but I'm not sure about NY.
  6. grad01

    grad01 Junior Member

    Sep 5, 2001
    West Coast
    You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the info.

Share This Page