Please help Canadian

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grad01

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me if it's true that Canadians can't practise dentistry in New York State because only U.S. citizen can get licensed there?
I've been accepted to Loma Linda as well as SUNY Buffalo U. but I prefer to attend the latter. Now I'm worried that the option of working in NY State is closed to me and I can't even do the extra year of Residency there.

Members don't see this ad.

not too clear about the details, but I think you can take the board exams for NE states and practice. I know for a fact somebody without US citizenship graduated from Toronto and did a year of residency in buffalo

You can do the residency, but not work unless you get a green card. You should contact the NY state licensing board.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello grad01, I know one student that graduated this year from Buffalo and is going to do a General Practice Residency in New York. So you can do a residency, but I don't know if you can practice in NY state. You can practice in other states b/c the Canadians at our school still take the NERBs meaning there must be states in the Northeast that will let Canadians practice, but I'm not sure about NY.

You guys are awesome! Thanks for all the info.