Case Western Versus UNE (Canadian Student)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CWRU or UNE (SAME COST read post)

• CWRU

• UNE

Results are only viewable after voting.

orangetooth

Reaction score
CWRU

Pros
  • My parents have a home in Cleveland so no rent
  • Drivable from my home (4 hours), I can go home easily. I also have a cat so her transportation would be easier by car.
Cons
  • I heard a lot of poor student feedback about CWRU, not sure how true it is
  • Safety concerns in the area

UNE

Pros
  • P/F
  • Heard great things about the clinical experience
Cons
  • Have to fly home (4 hour flight), not sure what this means for my cat
Summary: UNE would be cheaper, but with no rent at CWRU they cost the same. Pretty confused honestly, but leaning towards UNE just based on student feedback.

Members don't see this ad.

CWRU

Pros
  • Drivable from my home (4 hours), I can go home easily. I also have a cat so her transportation would be easier by car.
Cons

UNE

Pros
  • P/F
Cons
Summary: UNE would be cheaper, but with no rent at CWRU they cost the same. Pretty confused honestly, but leaning towards UNE just based on student feedback.
after cheaper, you should consider which one is closer to where you want to practice in the future...

Members don't see this ad :)
Plan to visit the campuses but be aware that half of your student time will be spent working with patients in the clinics. Both seem to have up-to-date facilities, but you want to know whether you will have enough patients and experience to get you to graduation. UNE is in Portland, which is more rural, white, and smaller in terms of a patient base than Cleveland. Think about state dental association support and saturation as well.

How much time have you spent in Cleveland? How far away from campus?

Plan to visit the campuses but be aware that half of your student time will be spent working with patients in the clinics. Both seem to have up-to-date facilities, but you want to know whether you will have enough patients and experience to get you to graduation. UNE is in Portland, which is more rural, white, and smaller in terms of a patient base than Cleveland. Think about state dental association support and saturation as well.

How much time have you spent in Cleveland? How far away from campus?
Haven't spent much time in Cleveland at all, just saw the area on interview day. The house is 15 mins from campus!

Reactions: 1 users
CWRU

Pros
Cons

UNE

Pros
  • P/F
Cons
No. Go to case.

That's a good thought... but I am not sure tbh. Prob somewhere in the US
also, not only will rent be free if you live with your folks, you will get food and emotional support, and a place to go for the holidays...

also, not only will rent be free if you live with your folks, you will get food and emotional support, and a place to go for the holidays...
Unfortunately my family would stay in Canada😞. It would just be me in their home, likely renting out the other rooms to students

Can I ask why?
Better school. Better name. Better education. PF is actually not as nice as you think especially if you want to specialize. Also UNE is in the middle of nowhere. Case is in nice ish area. Go to case

I’m a resident at Case. The students seem fine here. It’s definitely not a cheap school! It’s crazy expensive. Is UNE the same?

I’d do the financial calculation and go to the cheaper.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m a resident at Case. The students seem fine here. It’s definitely not a cheap school! It’s crazy expensive. Is UNE the same?

I’d do the financial calculation and go to the cheaper.
Honestly I’m a bit confused about the COA for both. UNE does seem cheaper but the tuition online dosent have a detailed breakdown. I think it’s 85k per year, but they didn’t provide me more information in the admission email. For Case, I believe it’s ~105k per year. If this was the case it would be an obvious choice. It’s just hard to understand because I’m not sure if the numbers are accurate (for eg. case breakdown included a loan fee but une did not have anything about this noted down). Overall it seems some things noted in the case breakdown are not mentioned at all on the une website. The numbers I mentioned do not include living cost.

Better school. Better name. Better education. PF is actually not as nice as you think especially if you want to specialize. Also UNE is in the middle of nowhere. Case is in nice ish area. Go to case
I disagree with the P/F part. I believe UNE has a high match rate for specialties; when I interviewed last year, they said 100% of the people matched to the specialty they wanted (last year). Columbia is a great example, P/F, and they have one of the highest success rates in specializing. Also, it makes it significantly less stressful in dental school if you are going to a P/F school and want to specialize. We have people in the bottom of my class, who would rank 90/100, who are just as likely to specialize as the people that are in the top 10/100.

However, I do agree if you are in the top 10% at a dental school, your chances of specializing are higher than someone who is P/F no class rank, w/all things being equal. However, with that comes significantly more stress in dental school.

Unfortunately my family would stay in Canada😞. It would just be me in their home, likely renting out the other rooms to students
Couldn't they visit YOU for the holidays, especially the Canadian ones?

(Petition to get Tim Hortons cafes in the Cleveland area. USHQ is in Columbus for crying out loud.)

Whatever the cat wants, BTW. :)