Please Help! Choosing a School: UVM vs SUNY BUFFALO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AliceInMedSchoolLand

New Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone, I have a difficult choice to make regarding these schools and I was hoping to get some advice from the SDN community. I think both schools are great for different reasons. I am a NY state resident so I would be in-state for SUNY Buffalo.

I would greatly appreciate any advice and thoughts about both programs. I feel very torn. Thank you in advance for your thoughts! I truly appreciate it!! Below is a brief list of my own list of pros for each of the programs.

UVM pros:

1.) Small class size ~120 students
2.) Strong Advisement throughout medical school-assigned an advisor when you matriculate and a specialty advisor
3.) I have familiarity with the area because I lived in Burlington for awhile and I enjoy the outdoors/nature
4.) Seemed very personal/friendly like everyone knows you and that the faculty really care about their students


UB pros:

1.) Location is close to my family
2.) New medical school building is being built and will be open in 2018 and there seems to be a lot of development happening in Buffalo right now
3.) Better Cost of Attendance because of in-state tuition
4.) So many hospitals in the area

Instead of a cons list I just have some concerns with each school so I'll try to be brief in listing them.

For SUNY Buffalo my concerns are -large class size ~180, a lot of changes with moving the school to downtown Buffalo, whether or not there is a strong emphasis on advising students

For UVM my concerns are- away rotations for the clinical years and a higher cost of attendance

Thank you again for reading my post and offering advice!
 
Well I interviewed at both schools and UVM was by far my favorite school that I interviewed at. I wasn't fortunate enough to get an acceptance from there, but I would have loved to attend. I felt there was a ton of attention paid to the students and that the opportunities were endless. Buffalo is a great choice too, but I just loved UVM. But everyone's situation is different. Not sure how much more you're willing to pay for UVM