Please Help! Choosing a School: UVM vs SUNY BUFFALO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AliceInMedSchoolLand

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a difficult choice to make regarding these schools and I was hoping to get some advice from the SDN community. I think both schools are great for different reasons. I am a NY state resident so I would be in-state for SUNY Buffalo.

I would greatly appreciate any advice and thoughts about both programs. I feel very torn. Thank you in advance for your thoughts! I truly appreciate it!! Below is a brief list of my own list of pros for each of the programs.

UVM pros:

1.) Small class size ~120 students
2.) Strong Advisement throughout medical school-assigned an advisor when you matriculate and a specialty advisor
3.) I have familiarity with the area because I lived in Burlington for awhile and I enjoy the outdoors/nature
4.) Seemed very personal/friendly like everyone knows you and that the faculty really care about their students

UB pros:

1.) Location is close to my family
2.) New medical school building is being built and will be open in 2018 and there seems to be a lot of development happening in Buffalo right now
3.) Better Cost of Attendance because of in-state tuition
4.) So many hospitals in the area

Instead of a cons list I just have some concerns with each school so I'll try to be brief in listing them.

For SUNY Buffalo my concerns are -large class size ~180, a lot of changes with moving the school to downtown Buffalo, whether or not there is a strong emphasis on advising students

For UVM my concerns are- away rotations for the clinical years and a higher cost of attendance

Thank you again for reading my post and offering advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Well I interviewed at both schools and UVM was by far my favorite school that I interviewed at. I wasn't fortunate enough to get an acceptance from there, but I would have loved to attend. I felt there was a ton of attention paid to the students and that the opportunities were endless. Buffalo is a great choice too, but I just loved UVM. But everyone's situation is different. Not sure how much more you're willing to pay for UVM