Please help, I want to match in anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

heymisslady

Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have a general question for all of those currently doing residencies. Waas it very competitive matching into Gas and what were the average step 1 scores. Gas is my top choice (although everyone keeps telling me I will be bored with it, but i'm going for it) and I want to know what type os scores are competitive. Thanks alot
 
heymisslady said:
I have a general question for all of those currently doing residencies. Waas it very competitive matching into Gas and what were the average step 1 scores. Gas is my top choice (although everyone keeps telling me I will be bored with it, but i'm going for it) and I want to know what type os scores are competitive. Thanks alot

I'm interested in hearing USMLE step1 scores as well.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
i was on the interview committee for emory this past year and know that we would not look at any apps unless they had a step 1 > 220 or they'd done a rotation with us. it'll prob be the same for next yr. most of our interviews were with people > 230
 
Fail = interview at home school only
175-199 = limited interviews
200-220 = several invites, mostly from bigger programs that have lots of spots to fill
221-230 = interviews offered at most places you apply to
231 and above = shoe in for interviews unless you have an established criminal record or some major other problems with your application (poor dean's letter/failed or repeated year)

This is my opinion only. These numbers fluctuate yearly based on number of people going into anesthesiology. For example, here is what it looked like back in 97:
US graduate + pulse = interview and offer of a position.
 
Gern Blansten said:
For example, here is what it looked like back in 97:
US graduate + pulse = interview and offer of a position.

Oh how true that was.

You should also add that in '97:
US graduate + pulse = interview offer, plane ticket, 4 star hotel stay, wine and dine, + offer. You felt like a potential NFL draft pick.