Please help, I want to match in anesthesia

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heymisslady

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a general question for all of those currently doing residencies. Was it very competitive matching into Gas and what were the average step 1 scores. Gas is my top choice (although everyone keeps telling me I will be bored with it, but i'm going for it) and I want to know what type os scores are competitive. Thanks alot

Members don't see this ad.

Anything over 220 will get you past most of the cut-offs.

> 230 will get you past all the cutoffs.

Keep in mind that many programs don't use cutoffs, but they'd still like to see similar scores as above.

You should read the FAQ threads at the top of the anesthesia forum. Although they were written a couple of years ago, the breakdown of scores (how many programs you should expect to interview at given your Step 1 score) is still relatively accurate. You definitely don't need a 220 to match in anesthesia, although anything above that score with decent grades should get you a chance to interview at a few competitive academic programs.

Members don't see this ad :)
DrRobert said:
Anything over 220 will get you past most of the cut-offs.

> 230 will get you past all the cutoffs.

Keep in mind that many programs don't use cutoffs, but they'd still like to see similar scores as above.

Please also keep in mind that scores are only one part of your application. Don't be discouraged if you have a well-rounded application but what you perceive to be "low" scores.

It's really variable. I know people in my class who matched this year with scores as low as 205. But, the people that matched into the "best" programs all had >230. I know that you can get those programs with lower scores though. Anesthesia is a little competative but nowhere near Ortho/Rads/Ent etc.

I would suggest doing a rotation to get exposure to see if you think it is boring and if you like it, go for it.

In spite of what a lot of people say, it really is all about the scores majority of the time. You should get in with at least 220, like everyone is saying. I honestly believe my poor scores are the only reason I didn't get in because I'm just like everyone else on paper. It's sad to think that the scores matter more than the individual, but with so much competition, there has to be a way to weed out people. The system just plain SUCKS. It's so funny how 5-10 years ago, programs would do anything for you to rank them, and now these same programs have built such a stupid ego that they just play around with people's futures. Good luck with your search. I'm on my last at bat to win the game.

hotdogz said:
In spite of what a lot of people say, it really is all about the scores majority of the time. You should get in with at least 220, like everyone is saying. I honestly believe my poor scores are the only reason I didn't get in because I'm just like everyone else on paper. It's sad to think that the scores matter more than the individual, but with so much competition, there has to be a way to weed out people. The system just plain SUCKS. It's so funny how 5-10 years ago, programs would do anything for you to rank them, and now these same programs have built such a stupid ego that they just play around with people's futures. Good luck with your search. I'm on my last at bat to win the game.

I think the programs just want to get the best applicants that they can. 10 years ago they couldn't even get enough applicants so they had to take FMG's and pretty much any american applicant they could get. I personally think that it brings the profession up to a higher level by getting the more competative students.

Hotdogz, if your step 1 isn't that great you may want to consider taking step 2 very early. Step 2 is very easy compared to step 1. A good 3 weeks of studying hard and you can absolutely kill step 2. This may help get you out.

Good luck.

Thank all of you for your suggestions, I will keep ALL of the comments in mind. I am definitely going to do a anesthesia rotation (I actually went to Case Western to check out their AA program, but decided to go the MD route instead). I just want to do well on my boards and not have to retake them. Are there any suggestions regarding the study material for the boards? How is Q bank (is it really worth the money? because I have enough self discipline to study on my own). By the wasy, i'm not taking my boards right now.

If you're talking about step 1, people at our school use this formula:

Most recent First Aid: Memorize the entire book!!
BRS Phys and Path: Know them pretty well.
Micro Made Redicuously simple: Read it.
Q bank: do it.

If you follow this you should make no lower than 230. Our school is just an average Tx school but our Step one averages are around 226-228 for a classes of around 200. Not too bad for a bunch of rednecks :)

Study hard and good luck. If you blow away Step 1 you will get interviews anywhere you want to go. Its definately worth the effort.

Despite my failure to match this year (maybe because of it) I think I can make some recommendations.
1) Pick a good but not too competitive program for an elective (or 2 or 3).
2) Look at where the current residents went to med school and if >50% are inbred, choose a different program for your elective.
3) Do a good job, get to know people, kiss ass, tell them they're your #1.
4) Have your home PD call the program(s) on your behalf.
5) Contact them after the match asking questions you could find out answers to here or on their web page. Not informative but gives the appearance of interest.
6) Do a second look.

After 1-6 you should have one spot pretty much in the bag, then you can apply wherever else you want in addition to those above.

heymisslady said:
I have a general question for all of those currently doing residencies. Was it very competitive matching into Gas and what were the average step 1 scores. Gas is my top choice (although everyone keeps telling me I will be bored with it, but i'm going for it) and I want to know what type os scores are competitive. Thanks alot

Just apply broadly and you will get interviews. There were plenty of us in my class with very average grades and we all got into a residency spot. As long as you don't screw up your interview you will be fine. :thumbup:

burntcrispy said:
If you're talking about step 1, people at our school use this formula:

Most recent First Aid: Memorize the entire book!!
BRS Phys and Path: Know them pretty well.
Micro Made Redicuously simple: Read it.
Q bank: do it.

If you follow this you should make no lower than 230. Our school is just an average Tx school but our Step one averages are around 226-228 for a classes of around 200. Not too bad for a bunch of rednecks :)

Study hard and good luck. If you blow away Step 1 you will get interviews anywhere you want to go. Its definately worth the effort.

This is very good advice. Keep it simple, stick with these books, and resist the temptation to add any more. Beyond this list, the more books you add the less yield you'll get, and that could bring your score down rather than up.

Despite my failure to match this year (maybe because of it) I think I can make some recommendations.
1) Pick a good but not too competitive program for an elective (or 2 or 3).
2) Look at where the current residents went to med school and if >50% are inbred, choose a different program for your elective.
3) Do a good job, get to know people, kiss ass, tell them they're your #1.
4) Have your home PD call the program(s) on your behalf.
5) Contact them after the match asking questions you could find out answers to here or on their web page. Not informative but gives the appearance of interest.
6) Do a second look.

After 1-6 you should have one spot pretty much in the bag, then you can apply wherever else you want in addition to those above.

This is also excellent advice.

The only additional advice I would add is:

If meeting the PD or chair during your elective, bring them a copy of your well written, well formatted CV. Have that CV reviewed by a few people who are really good at producing excellent ones -- while a mediocre CV is forgettable and makes no difference, an excellent one can make a big difference. This is your chance to give them a copy of your CV that looks a LOT better than the one printed out from the ERAS application web site.

Take advantage of your thank-you letters and write them extremely well. Write a thank-you after meeting the PD and chair, and tell them in detail what you liked about their program and why it suits your needs. Avoid a crappy hand-written card that does not give you the opportunity to demonstrate why you are a good fit for their program and why they should consider your application strongly. They save these correspondences, and while some consider them to be unimportant, they do tell the program that YOU WANT TO COME. If your correspondence with them doesn't convey that you want to come, you're missing an opportunity.