Please help me choose

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

airen

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear Fellow SDNers,

I am reaching out for your advice and help. I was recently offered an intern position for both CVS and Rite Aid. I have read through some threads of SDNers preferences when it comes to retail chains. I was wondering if you could help me with my dilemma.

I don't really care too much about the pay rate, I think they're approximately the same. What troubles me is that almost everyone who has worked for Rite Aid tell me to make it my last option. Even SDNers voiced the same on some of the feedback post. People aren't very fond of CVS either but I don't have any other choice but to choose between the two at this point.

The dilemma is, CVS requires a minimum of 16 hours/week. Rite Aid requires 10-15 hours. I would choose CVS only because there have been rumored about the uncertainty of Rite Aid's future. However, I've been experiencing some health problems which require lab work, ~6-8hours of physical therapy (2x/week for 3-4 hours) and if my condition doesn't improve in a few months, it might require surgery.

How should I approach CVS with this dilemma? Do you think the intern coordinator would understand my situation and could he/she make an exception? I really don't want to give up this job opportunity but if the intern coordinator can't make any exceptions to the rule, I guess I have no other choice but to choose Rite Aid?

I haven't started the paperwork process at either location until I notify one that I've made a decision to intern with that retail chain.

Please kindly share your thoughts on the two chain and whether I have a valid reason to reduce the number of required minimum hours I could work per week. I'm looking at working 12 hours/week?

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment on my post.

Members don't see this ad.

If they want 16 hours, you'll have to work 16 hours. Either that or they'll find someone else who'll want to work 16 hours. Even without the PT, that's an excessive amount to work, especially in your later years. Take Rite Aid, probably not much worse than CVS. Plus the pay is slightly better at Rite Aid (especially in this area).

I can't believe I'm suggesting someone to work at Rite Aid, but in your situation it seems like a good option.

How should I approach CVS with this dilemma? Do you think the intern coordinator would understand my situation and could he/she make an exception?

CVS is not exactly known for being understanding of workers' needs. Also consider that more time standing on your feet may aggravate your condition. I can't believe I'm suggesting this either, but go with Rite Aid.

Members don't see this ad :)
If they want 16 hours, you'll have to work 16 hours. Either that or they'll find someone else who'll want to work 16 hours. Even without the PT, that's an excessive amount to work, especially in your later years. Take Rite Aid, probably not much worse than CVS. Plus the pay is slightly better at Rite Aid (especially in this area).

I can't believe I'm suggesting someone to work at Rite Aid, but in your situation it seems like a good option.

CVS is not exactly known for being understanding of workers' needs. Also consider that more time standing on your feet may aggravate your condition. I can't believe I'm suggesting this either, but go with Rite Aid.

Thanks for your suggestions. I appreciate it greatly. Does interns at CVS have an any type of advantage over Rite Aid interns? For instance, CVS interns are better trained or they're exposed more to some of the challenges pharmacists face than Rite Aid interns? I really don't know since this is the first time I've applied for a retail job.

I want to make sure that I invest the remaining academic career at an chain store that will equip me with the knowledge, training and skills I need to become a competent pharmacist and if one chain super exceeds the other, I will try to bring it to the intern coordinator's attention that the situation is hopefully just temporary. I'm hoping to find some resolution to my health issue.

Thanks so much!

If they won't adjust to your class/exam schedule then don't even bother with them.

For interns, chain retail jobs all provide similar experiences. From talking with my pharm school classmates, it seems that the CVS interns didn't have any advantages over the people who worked at Walgreen's or the grocery store chains.

The reason I usually wouldn't recommend Rite Aid is that the company isn't doing that well financially. But as an intern, you will move on in a few years regardless of what happens to the company as a whole, so it doesn't affect you as much as, say, a pharmacist who has a ton of student loans and a family to support.

For interns, chain retail jobs all provide similar experiences. From talking with my pharm school classmates, it seems that the CVS interns didn't have any advantages over the people who worked at Walgreen's or the grocery store chains.

The reason I usually wouldn't recommend Rite Aid is that the company isn't doing that well financially. But as an intern, you will move on in a few years regardless of what happens to the company as a whole, so it doesn't affect you as much as, say, a pharmacist who has a ton of student loans and a family to support.

Thats bs... CVS and Walgreens both have teams full time to make sure interns meets are needed. We are talking about professional recruitment teams, intern coordinators, events, etc that rite aid, target, costco, does not have.

From my experience, ~16 hours/wk is pretty standard anywhere. It's really not that hard to put in that many hours since it will mostly be weekend hours anyways. Go with CVS, Rite Aid sucks.

If an intern cannot handle the pressures of academia and a part time job, don't bother with 'em. Their time management skills are suspect.

Just to clarify, I've worked 16-20 hours per week in undergrad taking 16-18 units per quarter. I know I can handle the work and school load. Right now, my health is more important, without it, I can't go to school or fulfill CVS's min. weekly work requirement. I just need some time to figure out what's going on with my health before I can commit to the 16 hours of work per week but the issue is the DM is a (insert negative term). I needed some feedback whether anyone who faced a similar situation (had a health related issue) was an exception to the rule, even temporarily.

Thank you, it's great to hear your perspective, I've been told that from a lot of pharmacist like yourself. Thanks!

Just to clarify, I've worked 16-20 hours per week in undergrad taking 16-18 units per quarter. I know I can handle the work and school load. Right now, my health is more important, without it, I can't go to school or fulfill CVS's min. weekly work requirement. I just need some time to figure out what's going on with my health before I can commit to the 16 hours of work per week but the issue is the DM is a (insert negative term). I needed some feedback whether anyone who faced a similar situation (had a health related issue) was an exception to the rule, even temporarily.
I would pick Rite Aid for the mere fact that if they give you any scholarship money and they tank soon, you owe them nothing and you get away scott free. Plus they pay just as well as the others. Good luck!

This is new to me. I was a CVS intern and I basically worked whenever I wanted to. There was no minimum hours that I had to work. I don't know how I got away with that. Is this an internship program or are you just a regular intern? I don't know any interns that have to work a certain number of hours per week. You might want to ask them about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is new to me. I was a CVS intern and I basically worked whenever I wanted to. There was no minimum hours that I had to work. I don't know how I got away with that. Is this an internship program or are you just a regular intern? I don't know any interns that have to work a certain number of hours per week. You might want to ask them about it.

True. Some districts operate differently than others. I have several friends who work for CVS and some have a minimum weekly requirement, some don't. I don't know who makes the rules but I'm sure the PDM has some say in it. I will just be a regular paid intern for CVS if I accept the job.

I wouldn't be posting for thoughts and opinions on SDN about my situation but the PDM is the hurdle at this point. :(

I would pick Rite Aid for the mere fact that if they give you any scholarship money and they tank soon, you owe them nothing and you get away scott free. Plus they pay just as well as the others. Good luck!

thanks Caverject!!!

Rite Aid has scholarship money? That's news to me. I don't believe any of them have scholarship money anymore.

Thats bs... CVS and Walgreens both have teams full time to make sure interns meets are needed. We are talking about professional recruitment teams, intern coordinators, events, etc that rite aid, target, costco, does not have.

Things must have changed since I was in school. I worked for Walgreen's as a student and the only needs they wanted to meet was their need to get shifts covered. Don't get me wrong, the job was a good experience, but the other Wag's interns and I didn't do anything that interns at other retail stores weren't also doing.

Now, the summer internships do have those things; I never did one so I can't comment on that.

Any idea which store(s) you would actually work in? The pharmacy manager and how the pharmacy operates is far more important than company policies. What I mean is, the company with the best PM should be your choice. 10 hrs per week in hell is far worse than 16 hrs in a great pharmacy.

Any idea which store(s) you would actually work in? The pharmacy manager and how the pharmacy operates is far more important than company policies. What I mean is, the company with the best PM should be your choice. 10 hrs per week in hell is far worse than 16 hrs in a great pharmacy.

So true! Yes, I was assigned to a store but I don't know anything about the pharmacy team and PM. I'm hoping/praying for a supportive team because I know that makes a world of difference. I had retail experience in the past at a terrible CVS store and at an excellent one. How do I go about finding more about the "new" pharmacy team and PM I'll be working with?

You know what's really strange. They gave me the drug screen paperwork and other employment paper to fill out (also applicable to Rite Aid), but neither PDM mentioned anything about the pay rate. When is the appropriate time to ask?

That's weird. When I was at CVS, I only worked about 8 hours a week most of the time.

Sparda, you're PDM or PM probably didn't require a min. weekly requirement...I'm wondering if I should just switch districts. lol.

Things must have changed since I was in school. I worked for Walgreen's as a student and the only needs they wanted to meet was their need to get shifts covered. Don't get me wrong, the job was a good experience, but the other Wag's interns and I didn't do anything that interns at other retail stores weren't also doing.

Now, the summer internships do have those things; I never did one so I can't comment on that.

I wanna work for WAGS/Target/Grocery Store pharmacies!!! But they're not hiring!!! :mad:

Sparda, you're PDM or PM probably didn't require a min. weekly requirement...I'm wondering if I should just switch districts. lol.

Perhaps it's a new requirement. There were weeks when I only worked like 3-5 hours. I guess they'd rather have people who work 16 hours a week, rather than 2-3 people to cover the 16 hours.