please help me evaluate my chance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Confusedms

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Third year medical studen, Step 1 230, class rank 25-50%, Master degree, many years research in medical field. 10 second or thrid publications, around 10 1st, 2nd and 3rd authored presentations. severl research awards and academic award. I am thinking about Dag. Rad and Rad oncology. What is my chance and how to choose between these two? I knoe there is big difference between these two fields. Thanks!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry about the typo. My 1st post and new member.

Members don't see this ad :)
The isssue of diagnostic versus therapeutic rads has been discussed elsewhere and the decision is yours to make.

In terms of rad onc matching, I think you definitely have a chance. Your step 1 is not great but plenty of people do match with those scores every year. Your publication record is a huge asset. Are they in any kind of cancer related research? If they are, that is even better.

Also, I am not sure which medical school you are from. If there is a strong rad onc program in your school, and they can write you letters, that will strength your application by a lot. I assume your grades are good enough since you are in the upper portion of your class.

Herbalgarden and Nod. The info. you gave me are very helpful. You may know that I crosspost above question in there different groups. Hope you don't get pissed off by this. Believe it or not, that was my first post in my whole life. I didn't know the forum rule. I have not rotated in any of these fields and I won't get chance in my school till september. It is hard for me to make this huge decision before I experience it. I am not from a family with medical background. So my question sounds off too. Thanks again for your sincere help and suggestions.