Please help me, Failed a course twice...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

just_another_student

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, long time lurker in this website but I now have the courage to post.

As the title says, I failed my course twice now and I plan to take it for the third time.
More specifically, I failed General Chemistry 2... I'm so ashamed of myself for failing it the second time and even the first time. I tried reflecting why I failed and when I thought that I knew why, it turns out that I didn't which lead to my demise. I tried changing my study style and I did so much practice that I'm pretty sure that I burned out at the end since I didn't get any sleep at all the night before my exams and stress took over...
In addition, I simply couldn't wrap my head around the concepts of gen. chem 2 which doesn't make any sense since it's fairly similar to high school material I learned in class, the only difference with high school material is that its not too in-depth.

I'm just so depress/sad/embarrassed/upset and nervous right now and to top it all off, I have absolutely NO IDEA how to tell my parents about this situation. I was very honest the first time around and told them that I failed gen. chem 2 and they were very disappointed but they let me try again. But this second failure might just wreck me. I'm afraid that they might disown me as their son which sounds rough and overdramatic but if you've been living under a traditional strict asian household (where education is at all time high), then you would understand. I have no idea how to break the news to them... I just feel like crawling under a rock and a complete waste of space at the same time...

One thing that I would like to clarify is that my parents are NOT forcing me to pursue medicine, in fact, they are against me pursuing medicine since they want me to do business but I have absolutely no interest in business... It might sound selfish but I'm pursuing medicine for myself and because I want to prove to myself that I can do it...
But I'm not sure if I can still do it...

Last thing I should mention is that I'm going into my third year this year so even if I retake my Chemistry class, I'm already waaay behind from my same age classmates. I started late in my science degree since I was doing business before I decided to switch major. Since I'm late I'll end up finishing my degree a few year behind (maybe 5-6 years instead of the traditional 4 years).

PLEASE! Any help would be appreciated and Thank you for taking your time to read this post.

Members don't see this ad.

A very large amount of med students are non-traditional. I believe I personally know more non-traditional students than traditional students. Taking extra time to finish a degree/fix something within a degree, getting a masters, doing a post bacc or SMP, taking time off, switching careers, etc are all very common now. If you're only going into medicine because you want to prove to yourself you can do it, and not because you actually want to practice medicine, you're going to have a rough time. I recommend re-evaluating why you want to go into medicine, then get a tutor, maybe take a lighter load if/when you re-take chem to ensure you pass it, then go back to a regular load, or take other courses for your degree now, and take it as a summer course, but by itself because itll likely be a little accelerated in nature, but if it's your only course, that couuld also be beneficial. Good luck

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Please don't cross post. This was asked and answered in another forum.

Are you a moderator? Don't tell others what to do. You must be starved for feelings of importance and adequacy.

Right I understand your situation... Seems tough since your in a household where academics and grades are really valued...

First of all, its kind of a red flag that your failed general chem 2 twice. It is an indication that you aren't understanding the material at all. It important to be committed to medicine, but it is probably more important to do well in science courses and academics. If you don't make the grades, #1: you won't pass... #2, you probably won't have your application looked at for medical school admissions #3: you won't pass medical school.

My suggestion is to get a tutor and find someone who is seriously committed to working with you. Maybe you should need someone to tell you what you are doing wrong in terms of studying and working through problems..

Gen. chem 2 is hard in some schools but you should at least be getting Cs, if you show up and do all the work (not considering how well you are doing them).

Work hard and never give up is my last advice.
Thank you for your honesty

A very large amount of med students are non-traditional. I believe I personally know more non-traditional students than traditional students. Taking extra time to finish a degree/fix something within a degree, getting a masters, doing a post bacc or SMP, taking time off, switching careers, etc are all very common now. If you're only going into medicine because you want to prove to yourself you can do it, and not because you actually want to practice medicine, you're going to have a rough time. I recommend re-evaluating why you want to go into medicine, then get a tutor, maybe take a lighter load if/when you re-take chem to ensure you pass it, then go back to a regular load, or take other courses for your degree now, and take it as a summer course, but by itself because itll likely be a little accelerated in nature, but if it's your only course, that couuld also be beneficial. Good luck
Thank you for replying and I'll keep those in mind.