Please help me, I am really in need. Please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LiverpoolFC

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 5wks set aside to study for the Step1. I have decided to use FA, DIT, Pathoma and Brs physio and Uworld as my sources for the step. How do I incorporate Pathoma and Brs physio when I get to the systemic section on DIT? Secondly, how effective should I go about studying for the exam with these resources? Your input will be greatly appreciated. I am a overwhelmed at the moment. Thanks again. I took our school adminstered NBME and I scored a low 190 I don't know if 5wks is enough to pull out a respectable score (>220):bang::bang:

Members don't see this ad.

I know someone has some pointers to share with me. I don't think its right if all we do is learn from others in this forum but fail to share when sharing could be of help to others. Isn't service the main attribute of physicians and those who aspire to be physicians?

I know someone has some pointers to share with me. I don't think its right if all we do is learn from others in this forum but fail to share when sharing could be of help to others. Isn't service the main attribute of physicians and those who aspire to be physicians?

6 hours later. SIX. You posted in the middle of the night, and are upset that no one has gotten back to you in SIX HOURS. I was going to respond, but now Im not. CALM DOWN

6 hours later. SIX. You posted in the middle of the night, and are upset that no one has gotten back to you in SIX HOURS. I was going to respond, but now Im not. CALM DOWN

I agree with you overactive, I read it and I was like dude calm down. But I was too lazy to post that. Lol

Members don't see this ad :)
OP's post history would suggest he loves learning from others

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

If you are trying to raise your score 30+ points in 5 weeks, I would say scale down your study resources and don't overwhelm yourself with information. Find the 2-4 resources you really love and learn everything you can that is within those limited resources. If you try to do too much, you are going to get through 60% of your 8 resources and that is not going to translate into success.

5 weeks is not alot of time and you are trying to do: FA, DIT, Pathoma, Brs physio, Uworld.

You ask me, ditch BRS Physio. Follow along in DIT and Pathoma. Do enough sets of timed UWorld questions to finish it in 4.5 weeks. Take notes from UWorld into FA as you review your answers.

If you are trying to raise your score 30+ points in 5 weeks, I would say scale down your study resources and don't overwhelm yourself with information. Find the 2-4 resources you really love and learn everything you can that is within those limited resources. If you try to do too much, you are going to get through 60% of your 8 resources and that is not going to translate into success.

5 weeks is not alot of time and you are trying to do: FA, DIT, Pathoma, Brs physio, Uworld.

You ask me, ditch BRS Physio. Follow along in DIT and Pathoma. Do enough sets of timed UWorld questions to finish it in 4.5 weeks. Take notes from UWorld into FA as you review your answers.

Thanks. More input from others will be greatly appreciated

5 weeks is definitely more than enough. I went up 40+ points in 4 weeks. I would use less resources..it's better to know few resources really well than to know a bunch of books superficially. I would focus on FA and uworld for 90% of your studying, and add goljan for things that need clarification. I only use those 3 resources and only FA+uworld on the last week of studying

People in the real world would throw up if they read your OP. You sound like you are on the verge of tears over an exam that you still have over a month to study for. Life could be a lot worse, just try to keep everything in perspective. Another thing, don't make others feel guilty for your ridiculous behavior by guilt tripping people 6 hours after your OP. Excellent behavior for a future doc. Get your $hit together

People in the real world would throw up if they read your OP. You sound like you are on the verge of tears over an exam that you still have over a month to study for. Life could be a lot worse, just try to keep everything in perspective. Another thing, don't make others feel guilty for your ridiculous behavior by guilt tripping people 6 hours after your OP. Excellent behavior for a future doc. Get your $hit together

Lol! I have already made a public apology. So why try to remind me? Whoever intended to help me will help me anyways without conditions. That I am convinced of.

Lol! I have already made a public apology. So why try to remind me? Whoever intended to help me will help me anyways without conditions. That I am convinced of.

Not to be a jerk, but based on your first post and subsequent responses, you appear to be on the spectrum...

You need to apologize 3 times. It's the only way. Then maybe, just maybe, people on this great forum will help you. Loll

By the way, I agree with using less resources. Throw out BRS physio. If you haven't done DIT yet, try to finish it in 2 weeks, if possible. FA, UWorld, and Pathoma is what you should focus on in my opinion. But it's up to you.. many people think DIT is a waste, but I think its worth it. Try finishing DIT with questions everyday and then maybe move on to Pathoma, FA, and Uworld.

PM me if you see any improvement. I would like to know how it works out for you.

Last edited:
You need to apologize 3 times. It's the only way. Then maybe, just maybe, people on this great forum will help you. Loll

By the way, I agree with using less resources. Throw out BRS physio. If you haven't done DIT yet, try to finish it in 2 weeks, if possible. FA, UWorld, and Pathoma is what you should focus on in my opinion. But it's up to you.. many people think DIT is a waste, but I think its worth it. Try finishing DIT with questions everyday and then maybe move on to Pathoma, FA, and Uworld.

PM me if you see any improvement. I would like to know how it works out for you.

I agree with dreamdoc. I would rather know FA, Uworld, Pathoma COLD. You can also use Goljan audio/transcript.

I am immensely grateful to all who took the time to answer my question.:bow::bow::bow:

I actually used exactly the resources you did and quite frankly 5 weeks is enough to go through all of the resources but i did spend about twice the time you did but its doable if you are willing to push through:

1. I went through DIT in exactly 15 days (i'd say for you try to finish it in 10 days, its gonna kill you but you can do it)
2. After that I started doing a block of questions/day but for you i'd say do 90/day.
3. In terms of BRS Phys and pathoma I would read a cardio BRS chapter, read the cardio chapter in first aid, then do the pathoma cardio chapter, and then do a 46 question block at the end of the day.

If this all seems not doable, i would say scrap DIT b/c it was the LEAST high yield of all three, you could probably ask someone for their notes on the most high yield stuff.

make sure to do PATHOMA, that's the best resource i think, BRS helped a lot too, especially for kidney and heart. Good luck man. Also make sure you finish uworld if ANYTHING.

Can you give me a breakdown of the topics you read side by side for brs physio and pathoma?

For some of them its not hard, for example cardio physio brs with cardio pathoma but what about renal and acid base physio in brs? Did you have specific brs physio pages you had divided up, to be read along with pathoma? if so, can I please get a breakdown

I actually used exactly the resources you did and quite frankly 5 weeks is enough to go through all of the resources but i did spend about twice the time you did but its doable if you are willing to push through:

1. I went through DIT in exactly 15 days (i'd say for you try to finish it in 10 days, its gonna kill you but you can do it)
2. After that I started doing a block of questions/day but for you i'd say do 90/day.
3. In terms of BRS Phys and pathoma I would read a cardio BRS chapter, read the cardio chapter in first aid, then do the pathoma cardio chapter, and then do a 46 question block at the end of the day.

If this all seems not doable, i would say scrap DIT b/c it was the LEAST high yield of all three, you could probably ask someone for their notes on the most high yield stuff.

make sure to do PATHOMA, that's the best resource i think, BRS helped a lot too, especially for kidney and heart. Good luck man. Also make sure you finish uworld if ANYTHING.

Can you give me a breakdown of the topics you read side by side for brs physio and pathoma?

For some of them its not hard, for example cardio physio brs with cardio pathoma but what about renal and acid base physio in brs? Did you have specific brs physio pages you had divided up, to be read along with pathoma? if so, can I please get a breakdown

I think the biggest physio sections that need supplementation are cardio, respiratory, renal (especially acid base and all the ECF/ICF changes stuff)...maybe endocrine (I think it helps you incorporate some biochem too if I recall)? The GI section in FA is decent imo. Having done the Uworld questions for that subject I found FA was sufficient. FA is not great in physio for the other subjects I just mentioned. I also just hate the format of first aid. I know it will be helpful after my first pass, but right now it's just annoying.

To the OP...I cosign what others have said in regards to finding a way to work in pathoma no matter what you do. I used pathoma to learn path throughout the school year. I plan to go over it again as review. It has been extremely helpful for Uworld questions. Dr. Sattar is an amazing teacher...especially for visual learners like myself.

I think you need to ask yourself a couple of questions. First of all, how many hours can you study per day? Are you a good test taker? How much year 1-2 material did you retain. Regardless, I'd say it would be helpful to cut down the amount of study materials. If anything, it'll reduce some of ur anxiety.

Scenarios:

High retention, poor test taker, not willing to put in that many hours, organized learner = FA and Questions, questions, questions...DIT might be low yield here

Sloppy disorganized ADD learning style, decent test taker, poor retention = Me = DIT (not because it's that great, but forces you to learn FA in a meticulous fashion), FA, and UW (only got through 1/2)...4 weeks to study, ended up with good score

Okay I ran out of scenarios, haha. I've heard good things about Pathoma, and seems to be well regarded. So if I were you, I would do FA (w/ or without DIT), Pathoma, and UW. I can't stress the importance of UW enough, esp if you're not confident about standardized exams. Meticulous review of UW is gonna get you the most USMLE points/hour studied, guaranteed. Wish I had had time to finish it.