Please help me I need advise ASAP

Started by mandisa
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mandisa

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello fellow Doctors and aspiring doctors.

I m 21,and studying an BSc Honours in Wildlife Management.I work in a Biobank/wildlife rescue center as an intern.My supervisor who is also a vet doctor and Professor has a liking for IVF and Cloning.I have to come up with a project as part of the Honours degree.

I am also an aspiring Vet doctor meaning in a couple of years I'd like to study Vet medicine and eventually practise/ce.

NOW my problem is because of the abundant gametes at our disposal and rising industry in in vitro fertilisation and cloned animals I feel like I'm being pushed to do something on Ivf particularly in Buffalo without looking at the pros and cons of it all.

Because I am not sure,of which side in terms of ethics when it comes to Ivf and cloning I am on,And needing a good project ,that will make it easy to get into Vet school,I am left with a dilemma..............

Whether to go with a IVF project to enhance my chances of getting into Vet school,and risk my ethics and maybe future regrets,or look for an another project.

please advise me objectively..................
 
Last edited:
"And needing a good project ,that will make it easy to get into Vet school,.............."

No such thing.

But good luck with whatever you decided to do. I can offer no advice on the situation, but it sounds really interesting!
 
Last edited:
EDIT... I reread what you said.

I read Buffalo as in New York (lol) - Read the rest of your post, now realize you are an international student (BSc should have tipped me off)

But I stand by one statement I said, first, decide if you even have an ethical delima. You mentioned you MIGHT have a problem with it. Evaluate your feelings, and decide if you are against; it if these are personal reservations or moral ones.

If you do have these moral reservations about it, and you cannot work around them, try to see if from someone else's perspective. If that still does not work, find a new project.

I don't know about international vet schools, but as Philomycus wrote, no project, dissertation, or publication will make it easy to get into an American vet school (alright, 4 Nature and 2 Science articles, and an invited Review paper will probably make it pretty easy, but in general, projects are secondary to everything else for the most part)
 
Last edited:
I agree with what has been said already. To me, your potential research sounds interesting, but I have no problems with cloning and IVF. If you do, or you for some reason think you do, but are unsure, you need to figure that out. If you find that you do have an issue with this type of research then I think you may need to find a new advisor/mentor to do research under, in a field that you don't mind participating in. If your current advisor has other projects that do not involve IVF then you can ask if you can be involved with them instead. But really it all comes down to you. ARE you against this type of research or not? It is the research experience that counts, what type of research you're doing (whether its cloning/IVF related or not) will not matter one way or another to veterinary schools, so if you feel that you do object to this research but feel like you should pursue it because it would help your acceptance...thats the wrong way to look at it.