Please help me learn more about radiology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted880375

Hey everyone!

I am an incoming medical student who has an interest in radiology. I was wondering if you can please help me learn more about this specialty. Anything regarding what you personally enjoy about radiology, your day-to-day schedule as a resident/attending/rotating medical student, why you chose radiology, personal pros/cons, etc. would be much appreciated. It would also be great if you could please send me some helpful resources/links so I can explore more of this incredible field on my own!

To give you some context on why I have an interest in radiology, as an undergrad/postgraduate I worked on multiple MSK imaging studies and I absolutely loved it! I also think radiology is a great personality + lifestyle fit for me. Additionally, I have a sibling who is a dermatology resident and they heavily considered radiology when deciding on a specialty, they also think that rads is a good personality fit for me.

Thank you in advance, I really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
best way to learn about it is to try and spend some time with one and see whats really like.
Yeah that would be ideal, but those types of opportunities + shadowing is near impossible right now due to COVID

There aren’t that many incoming first year med students who are interested in radiology so you have the leg up if that's what you want to do. It's definitely not for everyone, but I think it's great. I did it for lifestyle (high comp, predictable hours, lots of vacay) and it has worked out so far. Literally every single job is different, so what happens at a tertiary academic center will be completely different than an outpatient clinic, etc. That being said, there is a job out there that will satisfy most, if not all, of your requirements. You just have to be willing to look hard and do the legwork. You might have to bide your time in a job that isn't perfect for a year or two or several until your dream job opens. I never even did a derm rotation because well, skin. Plus derm is way more competitive than rads for some reason. Rads is a hidden gem in my opinion.

Reactions: 2 users
There aren’t that many incoming first year med students who are interested in radiology so you have the leg up if that's what you want to do. It's definitely not for everyone, but I think it's great. I did it for lifestyle (high comp, predictable hours, lots of vacay) and it has worked out so far. Literally every single job is different, so what happens at a tertiary academic center will be completely different than an outpatient clinic, etc. That being said, there is a job out there that will satisfy most, if not all, of your requirements. You just have to be willing to look hard and do the legwork. You might have to bide your time in a job that isn't perfect for a year or two or several until your dream job opens. I never even did a derm rotation because well, skin. Plus derm is way more competitive than rads for some reason. Rads is a hidden gem in my opinion.
Who’s the kind of person who shouldn’t go into rads?

People who like:
-constant patient interaction
-clinic time
-medical volunteerism
-open procedures
-skin

Should NOT do rads.

Reactions: 2 users
Happy to provide my insight as a training radiology resident. PM me.

Reactions: 1 user
No idea what this means haha
I think by noctor he means “not a doctor” ie PA or NP sees a patient, doesn’t know anything about medicine so just says “point to where it’s wrong” and orders an imaging test of that body part pointed to.

study is normal, we macro normal (powerscribe dictation that has a preset and auto filled template for the report), everyone gets a lot of money for the patient encounter and imaging test, nothing was achieved. US medical system at its finest

Reactions: 4 users