Please Help me, Military Non-trad

Started by brover
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

brover

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is going to be a very long tl;dr post.


A little background: I'm currently active duty in the US Navy and a new mother (my son is 9 months old now). I started going back to school in the Spring 2014 semester to start working on requirements to get into nursing school and I began taking courses at a community college that were ALL online because it is the only option for me with my military responsibilities. Once I got into the Summer 2014 semester I made the decision that I wanted to pursue a pre-med track. I have already re-applied to the university I attended before joining the military (pretty good state school in FL) for Spring 2015 and will be taking some distance courses there to retain my status as an active student until I get out of the Navy in Jan 2016.

My #1 choice med school is USF. Their new pre-requisites include at least 15 credits that prove mastery of the basic principles of psychology, sociology, ethics, and the humanities, and two semesters of English and they don't accept online coursework and prefer that you not take pre-requisite classes at a community college.

This makes me very frustrated because I already have over 15 credits in these types of classes, and two semesters of english that were ALL taken at a community college and were all online courses. All the other pre-reqs including Chem, Bio, Physics, and Math will be fulfilled at the university level.

When I get out of the navy and go back to university, my course schedule is already going to be packed with my pre-med science courses along with classes required for my Statistics major and Art History/Chinese minors. Plus, I have to immediately jump into undergrad research, physician shadowing, and volunteering clinical/non-clinical in order to be a competitive applicant.

So here is where I need advice. Should I delay my application another year to take classes like intro to psychology, or am I reading too much in to USF's requirements?

"Other Recommendations: In recognition of the increasing importance of a broad education that includes the humanities and behavioral sciences, students should have evidence of having mastered general principles in the fields of psychology, sociology, the arts and humanities, and ethics. While many college courses will fulfill these general educational requirements, we recommend no less than 15 semester hours of general coursework in these areas. Using our holistic approach to determining suitability for admission to medical school a broad undergraduate education, research, and independent scholarly activity are strongly encouraged."

"English or Expository Writing: Writing skills are very important to the work of the physician. At least two semesters of English courses, or one course of English and one course that has as its basis a substantial experience in expository writing are required. Both semesters must be taken at the college or university level."
 
Call the school, some schools make exceptions for military. I am a Vet , I have talked to admission personnel before about online classes and they usually say they will work with me on that although they at least want the labs to be in person and highly highly recommend all chemistry and physics is in person. I can't speak for USF specifically, but call them. Some schools are more lenient with military than others.
 
USF is an ROTC school and boasts about being one of the top military friendly universities in the country so hopefully they take it easy on me. I will definitely get in touch with them. Thanks for your suggestion!
 
Both semesters must be taken at the college or university level.

The wording of this makes me think that JuCo would be accepted. Many junior/community colleges have rebranded themselves as "College" (ex. St. Petersburg Community College -> St. Petersburg College; Santa Fe Community College -> Santa Fe College). Let us know what they say.