Please help me out with some class choices

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jman35

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm doing an informal postbac right now, and I'm trying to figure out what classes I'm going to take this Fall. From what I've read on these boards, people seem to recommend not retaking a class, but instead taking a higher level version of it (ie upper div if possible.)

So my question is, when I took Ochem 1 and 2 as an undergrad they were lower division courses. The same courses however are upper division here at the CSU that I'll be attending. I call them the same because I've checked out the syllabus, looked at the book/topics etc and it's the exact same course that I've already had. So is it ok for me to take these classes since I'll technically be taking a "higher level" course?

Another question I have is that I got an A- in Ochem 1, but a C in Ochem 2. I don't need (nor do I want) to take ochem 1 again...but I haven't had any organic in almost 4 years. Should I just review/relearn all the Ochem 1 stuff and take the new upper division Ochem 2 OR should I retake both Ochem 1 and 2 since they are technically upper division and at a higher level than what I've previously had?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm doing an informal postbac right now, and I'm trying to figure out what classes I'm going to take this Fall. From what I've read on these boards, people seem to recommend not retaking a class, but instead taking a higher level version of it (ie upper div if possible.)

So my question is, when I took Ochem 1 and 2 as an undergrad they were lower division courses. The same courses however are upper division here at the CSU that I'll be attending. I call them the same because I've checked out the syllabus, looked at the book/topics etc and it's the exact same course that I've already had. So is it ok for me to take these classes since I'll technically be taking a "higher level" course?

Another question I have is that I got an A- in Ochem 1, but a C in Ochem 2. I don't need (nor do I want) to take ochem 1 again...but I haven't had any organic in almost 4 years. Should I just review/relearn all the Ochem 1 stuff and take the new upper division Ochem 2 OR should I retake both Ochem 1 and 2 since they are technically upper division and at a higher level than what I've previously had?

have you taken mcat yet? if you havent, taking ochem 1 would benefit you since you havent taken it in 4 years...though you can probably glance at what topics are covered in organic chem 1 and gauge your studies from that.

I think essentially it will be looked at my adcoms as you retaking the courses, regardless of how CSU considers it. If the syllabus and content of the course is the same, it's the same course. However, as jyw mentioned, O-chem 1 will be helpful for the MCAT so since you already did well in it, you may want to audit the course to help you remember the basic concepts. It's up to you really if you want to retake Ochem 2; if your BCPM needs a major boost, it might be in your best interest to take it, however, because most of the material isn't very important for the MCAT, I would just move on and take other upper level courses such as Genetics, Histo, or Biochem.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does it make any difference that the school offers a lower division ochem also? There's a lower division "Introduction to Organic Chemistry" and then there are two upper division "Principles of Organic..." I know at my undergrad we had two lower division Ochem classes that most people took, and then we had two upper division Ochem classes that only the chem majors took. I'm guessing they're just going to look at the class description like you said though.

I think essentially it will be looked at my adcoms as you retaking the courses, regardless of how CSU considers it. If the syllabus and content of the course is the same, it's the same course. However, as jyw mentioned, O-chem 1 will be helpful for the MCAT so since you already did well in it, you may want to audit the course to help you remember the basic concepts. It's up to you really if you want to retake Ochem 2; if your BCPM needs a major boost, it might be in your best interest to take it, however, because most of the material isn't very important for the MCAT, I would just move on and take other upper level courses such as Genetics, Histo, or Biochem.

Does it make any difference that the school offers a lower division ochem also? There's a lower division "Introduction to Organic Chemistry" and then there are two upper division "Principles of Organic..." I know at my undergrad we had two lower division Ochem classes that most people took, and then we had two upper division Ochem classes that only the chem majors took. I'm guessing they're just going to look at the class description like you said though.

Yeah I think they will evaluate it on the class description. I would just audit for the sake of refreshing the material since you did well in O-Chem 1 and then taking the appropriate O-Chem 2 if you decide to repeat it.