Please help me pass COMLEX 1!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drlove4

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going into last semester of MS2, taking level 1 in june. Currently in the bottom 10% of my class with basically all Cs. I took a Kaplan simulated COMLEX and got 46%. Two biggest areas to improve are OMM (don’t like it, don’t know how to use savarese yet but bought it) and neuro (especially neuroanatomy). What other topics are high yield? I don’t have test anxiety, and I’m aware of all the sdn recommended resources as in UFAP. What should I focus on specifically for COMLEX? Is there a “best” study schedule framework? What can I do to I get the best score possible?

Members don't see this ad.

I am going into last semester of MS2, taking level 1 in june. Currently in the bottom 10% of my class with basically all Cs. I took a Kaplan simulated COMLEX and got 46%. Two biggest areas to improve are OMM (don’t like it, don’t know how to use savarese yet but bought it) and neuro (especially neuroanatomy). What other topics are high yield? I don’t have test anxiety, and I’m aware of all the sdn recommended resources as in UFAP. What should I focus on specifically for COMLEX? Is there a “best” study schedule framework? What can I do to I get the best score possible?
Year after year, I hear from my students that these are the big three:
Med Micro
Pathophysiology
Pharm

And a decent dose of clinical anatomy/neurology: ie "A man has [trauma] to face and a loss of function of X. What structure has been compromised?"

This matches all the COMLEX exams I've sat for (yes, faculty can take COMLEX) or on retired exams.

I suggest doing as much Combank as possible, as well as UWorld. Start with the subject material you're weakest (especially those from Semester I of OMSI)

Does your school give diagnostics, or NMBE shelf exams? if so, these will also be guides to what to focus on.

Try to delay taking COMLEX as long as possible.

The following advice (for you) will probably trigger a lot of sensitive souls, but it needs to be said: don't bother with USMLE.

Reactions: 1 users
Resp > Cardio > Renal are the top 3 tested systems and will get you the bulk of your points.

But micro is the hardest to force into memory and then pharm, probably due to sheer volume of what is expected from you from both. Things like CD markers for oncology are more frivolous. However, on YouTube, DirtyUSMLE is pretty good at presenting high yield stuff that should be memorized so you can probably add that kind of "frivolous" stuff even though you should focus COMLEX

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Resp > Cardio > Renal are the top 3 tested systems and will get you the bulk of your points.

But micro is the hardest to force into memory and then pharm, probably due to sheer volume of what is expected from you from both. Things like CD markers for oncology are more frivolous. However, on YouTube, DirtyUSMLE is pretty good at presenting high yield stuff that should be memorized so you can probably add that kind of "frivolous" stuff even though you should focus COMLEX

I had more heme and MSK that all three of those combined with cardio coming in a distant third. You need to know everything.

Although I do agree with Goro that Micro and Pharm have a huge presence. Pathophys somewhat. I had more straight pathology (histo slides, tumors, tumor markers, basic path chapter of FA) on COMLEX than on Step.

In truth, I think Micro on COMLEX should be your easiest points aside from OMM. Sketchy micro + FA + Uworld should get you honestly over 90% of them correct without even breaking a sweat.
Pharm is harder, but also lets be honest out of most of the boards prep, this is stuff you'll actually need to know a lot come next year. I recommend FA + Sketchy Pharm. But I can also say that I did an enormous amount of googling and medbullets.

Idk about cardio being higher yield. I had a lot of Heme, a lot of GI, and a lot of Resp. I don't really remember too much hard cardio on my test. But I'll echo the above, you'll need to have FA memorized and know everything for the test.

I dont want to start a debate or belittle the OP's post but this is why I hate it when people tell me, "dude just pass, the last person in the class is a doctor too", while that may be true it also seriously does little service to you if all one is doing is trying to pass. My administration told me, the least you should be doing is 80s on exam and across the board, that way "yes you will be a doctor, but a doctor with a job probably".

"Bugs and drugs" being highest yield is definitely true; trying to predict which system (cardio vs renal vs pulm, etc) is too dangerous a game to play.

For OMM, get your viscerosomatics down cold. Chapman's points and sympathetic levels will get you a good chunk of the points.

For someone who is struggling overall, a comprehensive course of some sort can be helpful (albeit expensive) to make sure you're not missing topics. I liked DIT personally, but heard good things about the USMLERx videos from friends, and some SDNers seem to like Boards Boot Camp.

From what I remember for COMLEX something like 43-45% is passing. If they got 46% without studying, 6 months before the test, I suspect they will easily be able to get close to average with a real study plan.

I got a 59% and in 7 weeks of dedicated got over 600. I think they've got a good path as long as they study.

From what I remember for COMLEX something like 43-45% is passing. If they got 46% without studying, 6 months before the test, I suspect they will easily be able to get close to average with a real study plan.

My school told us 65% is "likelihood of passing" but I'm not sure what these kaplan exams actually means in terms of score correlation, especially this early in the game.

Start studying now. Do not wait. Raw effort can take you far. use Bros, Zanki, whatever...but start a big deck now and the qbank as well. Do this and you;ll be okay.

Members don't see this ad :)
UPDATE: I have 50% half way through UW (using as I reviewed through each system, starting in 40s and by the end of that system being in the 60s-70s of 10-20 at a time) and a 64% on comquest with only 200qs. What really worries me is that I took a UWSA and got a 168, doing the worst on biochemistry, genetics, cell bio, 65% in neuro, 75% in micro, etc. How screwed am I?

That UWSA is quite bad. I cannot recommend you take Step 1 at least. They used to heavily over predict even, but I believe this was corrected recently so it might be near accurate. You need to switch to UWorld randomized immediately. You have some core content issues if you're starting off in the 40%s, but you're not doing yourself any favors doing it by system. I know this works well for some students, but you need to see as much information as possible and keep as much fresh as you can. What if you do all of cardio first and then take your test and haven't seen cardio in 5 weeks, etc. You need to be doing Sketchy and Pathoma every day and reading First Aid. Supplement your weak areas with Boards and Beyond. People commonly say there isn't enough time to do that, but you should be studying 12hrs a day without excuse. Definitely take an exercise break, but get back into it. With how competitive the DO match is getting, people in your situation will be the first to go. I'm assuming your school has you take some kind of COMSAE to see where you fall. I honestly recommend delaying if you have that option.

I agree, that uswa is telling me that you're not at a component level in any system,

Can we stop suggesting first aid as a study tool for boards? I bought the book last year and I haven't even come close to opening it. Between Qbanks, Pathoma, Anki and google, I just don't see how its still relevant. At best it's a reference for that one day your internet was down.

That UWSA is quite bad. I cannot recommend you take Step 1 at least. They used to heavily over predict even, but I believe this was corrected recently so it might be near accurate. You need to switch to UWorld randomized immediately. You have some core content issues if you're starting off in the 40%s, but you're not doing yourself any favors doing it by system. I know this works well for some students, but you need to see as much information as possible and keep as much fresh as you can. What if you do all of cardio first and then take your test and haven't seen cardio in 5 weeks, etc. You need to be doing Sketchy and Pathoma every day and reading First Aid. Supplement your weak areas with Boards and Beyond. People commonly say there isn't enough time to do that, but you should be studying 12hrs a day without excuse. Definitely take an exercise break, but get back into it. With how competitive the DO match is getting, people in your situation will be the first to go. I'm assuming your school has you take some kind of COMSAE to see where you fall. I honestly recommend delaying if you have that option.
Of everyone I know studying for boards, not a single one is studying that much per day.

Of everyone I know studying for boards, not a single one is studying that much per day.

We studied like that when I took it. That's what dedicated study time is for. You should be getting 10-12 hrs of study time down daily. This of course incorporates all study time, including taking practice test, questions, videos, books, etc.

I would actually notice a sharp decrease in my performance on questions when I studied 6-8 hrs a day vs. 10-12 for a couple of days. We only had 2-4 wks of dedicated at my school, but much more and people would be burnt out. Its why in general the recommended dedicated time is 6 wks. On a 10-12 hr/day schedule 6 wks is basically capacity for everyone that I've interacted with. If you have like 8-10 wks of dedicated like some of the schools I'm hearing about, then you might be able to get away with less hours per day during dedicated.

Reactions: 2 users
Can we stop suggesting first aid as a study tool for boards? I bought the book last year and I haven't even come close to opening it. Between Qbanks, Pathoma, Anki and google, I just don't see how its still relevant. At best it's a reference for that one day your internet was down.

Pathoma is barebones. Uworld teaches you how to use information. Anki quizzes you information you already know. First aid is the backbone of boards prep, either you're doing FA or you're doing something that subsitutes for it such as DIT or B&B.

Pathoma is barebones. Uworld teaches you how to use information. Anki quizzes you information you already know. First aid is the backbone of boards prep, either you're doing FA or you're doing something that subsitutes for it such as DIT or B&B.
Negative. Pathoma videos are not barebones.

I was pulling 16-18 hour days deep into dedicated and 10 leading up to it. I took no chances when it came to boards. For OP don’t take USMLE, the UWSA is not bad it’s, for a lack of a better word, abysmal.

64% on COMBANK or Comquest at this stage is also concerning at this stage. I’m assuming you have a late June or early July test date? You need to assess where you deficiency is now. Is it actually just content or is there some test taking issues that have not been revealed yet? You still have time to work towards a passing score but it’s going to take a lot of hard work.

64% is literally above average on combank and the exact average on comquest sooo...

Is it? I felt like it was a lot higher when I did it two years ago, well disregard everything I said then.

Negative. Pathoma videos are not barebones.

Can you like sit down? This is not your individual feel good about your study habits sessions. Pathoma videos and their book is very literally something you can review in a single week as a introduction to the pathophysiology on the USMLE. It does not begin to amount to a thorough review of it aside from vascular and heme-onc. You need a resource to cover the more intense integrations of physiology and pathology and while UWORLD is a great resource for this, first aid really offers significantly more broad explanations especially for high yield areas such as Cardio, GI, and Reproduction.

I never used FA either. If you're going to use a deck like Bro or Zanki, I would skip on FA except for clarifying points when you lose context doing cards.

questions on questions on questions... Forget your percentages, just pay attention to overall performance in the categories and brush up on weaknesses with FA (or Boards and Beyond if you like videos) and Pathoma. Make Anki cards as you're going through it and you'll be fine. Efficiency > brute study time, so just keep that in mind

Took COMSAE D and got a 480. What I struggle with on UW is the more basic science questions (cell bio, biochem, etc) and COMSAE seemed much more pathology/clinical disease, micro, etc. Is this similar to COMLEX questions?