Please help me: Summer program vs. Work/Travel

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

E'01

1K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am so stuck - I just found out the school I plan to attend has a free 6-week summer pre-matriculation program for non-science majors (classes include anatomy, biochem, histo and path). I would love to go IF I had known earlier. I've already booked 2 flight tickets during that time and applied to some cool contract teaching jobs that would allow me to travel around also. I know the program would benefit me but I also want to do something fun and earn money before I start school for real on august 5th. I'd have two weeks off after then school would really start on august 5th. What would you guys do?

Members don't see this ad.

Wow - so no one would do the program huh? Thanks for voting everyone!! Keep it up :)

Thank you all for your help! Despite the overwhelming trend towards work and travel, I have decided to go to the pre-matriculation program. I'll still be able to travel albeit in a rushed manner but being in the program will help allay my fears about adjusting to the rigors of medical school - especially anatomy. I have decided to keep my current PT job (so much for not working) so hopefully those funds will keep me going. Thank you everyone!!

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm proud to be the first non-science major to vote for the program at school. I am so scared to go to med school right now, not having seen science in soooo long. I would do this program if I could, but my school doesn't offer it. You'll still have time for fun and you can make friends with your classmates early on....and you'll have an advantage when school starts so you won't be behind. Best of luck! :)

Hi E'01. I was also enthused about Sinai's program. And hello, its free. But I need cash before medical school begins. And don't you want your own apartment? I think the more we can save the better. Also email some students we met and see if they did it? Maybe that may be the tie-breaker.

Hiya guys. Thanks Foxy for voting to do it. I guess I was just trying to psych myself into doing something I knew I should do. I haven't taken classes since 2000 and I feel pretty rusty at this moment.

Bebe2 I know what you mean - the money issue is a big thing for me. The only consolement is - and I just found this out - there is a stipend of $1600 and health insurance is free! Thats a big deal for me since I'm leaving my lab job this Friday and to continue health insurance would had cost me $300/month. Yep, I do want my own place so if I can add to what I've saved from the summer stipend, I'm hoping that will cover first and last month rent with security deposit (roughly $2100 if I can find a place for $700/mo). Darn that's a lot! I'm also hoping to speak to the financial aid office about readjusting my budget since on my app I had said that I could contribute like $3000 from the summer - but if I'm to do the summer program my contribution will be nil.

Good idea. You are definitely on the ball. My biggest issue is money. If it weren't for that I would be there!!!!!!!!

Hey, I'm a science major and I am going to partake in a similar summer program that my school offers. The program gives you free books (the same that will be used in medical school), free anatomy tool/kit and a stipend of $1000. Since the medical school is located in a city that I have never lived before, I think that it is very beneficial. I can get acquainted with the city before medical school starts and meet some of my new classmates. Besides, I have already talked to some people who did the program and came from my undergrad, and they highly recommend it. I believe that the program will remove some of the stress that medical students usually encounter in the first few months.

Yay yay yay!! Thanks Cannes :) Of the students I spoke to who did the program they said it helped tremendously - especially anatomy. They said that they were ahead of their classmates when it came to the first half of anatomy in the fall. Also, it helped with just being acclimatized with the school and area. The 2 people who I met who did not take the class said that they struggled terribly their first semester (one student failed an anatomy exam but attributed it to still being in senioritis mode - the other gave no reason but advised me to do to the program).I wanted to find out if we get textbooks - that would be awesome. You get a free tool kit? Ooooh that's awesome! How long is your program for?

6 weeks (June 10-July 26) and I am so psyched. We are going to disect everything from the neck down. I also heard that the course helps out tremendously in anatomy. In fact, the program covered most of the material covered for the first two exams. This is really good considering that last year half of the class failed the first exam. When does your program start and end?

Wow - I don't think we get to dissect everything. I think we'll be doing the chest, abdomen and back (no head or limbs but then again I'm not sure). I just found out the schedule is:
Mon-Fri - 9-12pm Biochem
Mon, Wed, Fri - 1-4 Anatomy
Thur - Histology/Physiology
Tues - Seminar

It's from June 10th-July 19th.

Dang. Now I am confused! The 1600 would be more than I would make if I worked until the last of June instead of starting the program. I was planning to chill after that. Arg!!!!!!

:confused:

We are going to cover Embryology, Anatomy, and Biochemistry. I have no idea what the schedule is, but yours sounds sweet. It should be a nice program to get your feet wet into the material covered in medical school. Hope you have fun. :)

Aiightey bebe2 so I SHALL be seeing you then this summer :)

Cannes that sounds great - I hope you enjoy your program too :)