Please help me with BCPM classes.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tweetie_bird

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think about the following--are they BCPM or non-science?? Thanks!

Intro to Anthropology (it included bio. anthro stuff too)

Intro Psych

Personality and Individual Differences (Psych again)

Psychology Research Fundamentals

Human Performance Enhancement (had a guy from Sports Med teach us; had some biological concepts that were taught to us)

Drugs and Behavior

Upper level Botany class

whew!!! it's a long list and I really need some help. all these Psych classes will definitely help me boost my BCPM, so I would like to try and incorporate it in there.

Tweetie

Members don't see this ad.

Hi tweetie, see below.

Intro to Anthropology (it included bio. anthro stuff too)

No.
Intro Psych

No.

Personality and Individual Differences (Psych again)

No.

Psychology Research Fundamentals

Maybe... but probably not.

Human Performance Enhancement (had a guy from Sports Med teach us; had some biological concepts that were taught to us)

No.

Drugs and Behavior

What dept was it given under?

Upper level Botany class

yes. (i think)

I think some people here counted *some* psych classes, but the intro psychs and definitely the anthro will not count toward BCPM. Hope this helped.

Hard to say b/c I wasn't in the class, but it's my understanding that they shouldn't be put in there unless they are truly Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Math/Statistics. Otherwise it's not fair to others who are doing it by the books -- that's my opinion anyway.

Intro to Anthropology (it included bio. anthro stuff too) -- non-BCPM

Intro Psych -- non-BCPM

Personality and Individual Differences (Psych again) -- non-BCPM

Psychology Research Fundamentals -- non-BCPM unless heavily focused on statistical methods

Human Performance Enhancement (had a guy from Sports Med teach us; had some biological concepts that were taught to us) -- non-BCPM unless the majority of the class was biological mechanisms

Drugs and Behavior -- non-BCPM unless the majority of the class was biological mechanisms

Upper level Botany class -- BCPM

Members don't see this ad :)
I took a 'Drugs and Behavior' class at my undergrad school. It was considered to be under a PSY (Psychology) designation--which is non-BCPM. If the course was taught through a Biology or Chemistry department, however, it would likely fall under BCPM.

:( damn damn damn...it was Psych dept but they had biological mechanisms up the waazooo...it's too bad that it's considered PSY.

Thanks though.
Tweetie

I say the psych stuff stays non-BCPM, but the botany, anthro, and drug classes could definitely go BCPM. AMCAS has no idea what your class covered, what depts. it was cross-listed with, etc. I tossed an intro astronomy class in Physics (cuz at my school, physics and astronomy are sister departments) even though it had nothing to do with physics. I counted "women's bodies in health and disease" as BCPM cuz it fulfills a bio science requirement for non science majors at my school. I also put an anthro course (biology of the mind-come on, it says biology IN THE TITLE!) in BCPM cuz it was crosslisted with zoology, anthro, neuroscience, and psych. AMCAS didn't give a ****. Think about this: at some (esp. smaller schools) they have like 5 departments. At these places, behavioral psych, botany, primatology, physical anthro, microbiology, biochem, and a whole bunch of other crap would all be in the "biology" dept. People who go there would list them all as bio, and thus BCPM. At my school, all of those have their own departments. You should take advantage of the system wherever you can (cuz other people will). AMCAS should have a better system, but it doesn't. Use it. Course titles and departments mean nothing, cuz they're different at every school.

Tweetie, your upper-division Botany class...what was it about? RE: the other classes are non-BCPM. An easy way to think about it is this...does the course fulfill one of the average medical school's prerequisites? Or did you need to take one of those med school prereq courses in order to take the class under consideration? For example, if you needed to take introductory bio or organic chem to take that Botany class, chances are the AAMC would give you BCPM credit.

aloha

can't you just look at your transcripts and tell? i mean, it usually says before the class either bio 1500, chem 4000, or whatever... if it doesn't say that then it is not biology, chem, physics, math.