Please help me with the best bad problem possible.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iwannaknow

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You should've applied more broadly...

;)

Good problem to have opie!

Members don't see this ad :)
Alright y'all. I have a problem, albeit a good problem. I was told by my advisers, probably falsely, to apply to WAY TOO MANY SCHOOLS. I now have 10 II's, 9 of which are OOS that are costly. I've already done 2. Because I am being optimistic, I don't think they will necessarily stop. So I made a list of all the schools I have left, and divided them into "Will go to Interview," "Will not go to interview," and "Maybe." This way if I do get an interview, I can start rejecting schools. Of the schools I have left, there are 12 more I really want to interview at. 6 are IS, so I can attend no problem (again, this is all assuming I get interviews galore). So that leaves 6 I need to cash out for. That leaves about 5 more in the "Maybe" column, and a bunch in the "No" column.

So, first question, is it even wise to be turning down interviews at this point in the game? I think I am a fairly good interviewer (I've had what SEEMS like positive feedback at both of the places I've interviewed at), so I hope I won't be one of those statistics in which I get rejected with this many interviews. Of the ones I have right now, I am thinking about canceling 2-3 of them. This is because I don't know how I can afford to travel to those 2-3, and then also potentially travel to more within the 6 I still want to interview at.

Should I maybe try to push back the interviews until I have an acceptance in hand?

Hope you guys don't think I am being obnoxious. I am grateful for all the interviews, but I sadly don't have the funds to go everywhere.
ay yo wats ur stats and complete date m8

I have a 3.47, 520 and no II
But my committee letter only got sent in on the 22nd

No. Do not turn down interviews until 1) you get an acceptance and 2) that acceptance is at a school that you would go to over any of the remaining schools you have not interviewed at.

Reactions: 5 users
Fingers crossed you'll have an offer by Oct 15th. Then you can safely drop schools you are less interested in attending. Until then, you might consider trying to postpone schools on your "maybe" list. If there are schools you will not interview with, please withdraw your application and save the school the effort of reviewing you.

Reactions: 5 users
No. Do not turn down interviews until 1) you get an acceptance and 2) that acceptance is at a school that you would go to over any of the remaining schools you have not interviewed at.
^ This is probably the best option!

Many congrats on your interviews!!

ay yo wats ur stats and complete date m8

I have a 3.47, 520 and no II
But my committee letter only got sent in on the 22nd
I sent in my primary within 15 minutes of it opening, verified second day, and then completed at most schools the same day I got the secondary, sometimes up to a week, and some schools 2 weeks.

My stats are high, I just don't want to give an exact number!

I think my advisor said to apply to so many because a lot of the not top 20-30 are going to reject me for yield protection, and while I have a great shot at the top 20-30, it's always a crap shoot. But I have a bunch of interviews at the not top 20-30, so I am not so sure this was good advice lol.

Fingers crossed you'll have an offer by Oct 15th. Then you can safely drop schools you are less interested in attending. Until then, you might consider trying to postpone schools on your "maybe" list. If there are schools you will not interview with, please withdraw your application and save the school the effort of reviewing you.

Alright, thanks for your advice guys! I will do this.

I have 8, not 10, but similar boat.

My plan going forward is to schedule schools I'm less excited about as far in the future as possible. If acceptances come in mid October like I am hoping, I will cancel.

Reactions: 2 users
I have 8, not 10, but similar boat.

My plan going forward is to schedule schools I'm less excited about as far in the future as possible. If acceptances come in mid October like I am hoping, I will cancel.
This is what I want to do but we are in an awkward part of the cycle where interview dates STOP right before mid october. So it becomes harder. I haven't had that option once. But I will try and call up a school or two in 2 weeks and ask to reschedule.

You are a superstar at those non-top 20 schools and they are jumping at the chance to interview you before you get an offer at one their ilk and decide not to bother with the likes of them.

Reactions: 1 users
This is what I want to do but we are in an awkward part of the cycle where interview dates STOP right before mid october. So it becomes harder. I haven't had that option once. But I will try and call up a school or two in 2 weeks and ask to reschedule.

I legitimately cannot do any more interviews in September - totally booked schedule. I'm sure yours is the same. I would think schools would be understanding that many/most people apply to 20+ schools and there will be some scheduling conflicts, and just because they only offer you 2-3 dates doesn't mean they won't be willing to work with you on a later date. Hope so anyway.

I legitimately cannot do any more interviews in September - totally booked schedule. I'm sure yours is the same. I would think schools would be understanding that many/most people apply to 20+ schools and there will be some scheduling conflicts, and just because they only offer you 2-3 dates doesn't mean they won't be willing to work with you on a later date. Hope so anyway.
Once I schedule this new one and ask for a reschedule of a nearby school, then yup, totally booked. I wish UCs got back much faster. I'm IS but can't do any UC's until October :(

Redundant, but: Keep interviewing until you're accepted.

Once you're accepted drop withdraw only from schools that you are sure you prefer less than the school you have been accepted to. Repeat the process.

You'll probably be fine, but you never know. You might actually be a terrible interviewer.
I think that your adviser's reasoning was very sound. I would tell everyone to apply widely, within reason, regardless of their stats. You don't know how you will fare until you actually apply. Better safe than sorry.

Reactions: 1 user
I applied to WAY more schools than anyone would recommend. I did at one point cut the list down a lot, but ultimately I decided to apply to my big list.

5 of the 8 schools I have interviews were not on the short list, 3 of them because I thought they were "reach" schools that I wouldn't have a chance at, and 1 state school that I am way out of region for.

Apply broadly.

I applied to WAY more schools than anyone would recommend. I did at one point cut the list down a lot, but ultimately I decided to apply to my big list.

5 of the 8 schools I have interviews were not on the short list, 3 of them because I thought they were "reach" schools that I wouldn't have a chance at, and 1 state school that I am way out of region for.

Apply broadly.

Out of curiosity, how many is your long list? I thought my 20 was overkill.

I pushed out a couple until Late October/Early November to stretch out the expense. Tulane didn't offer me anything until December so that helps. I will not turn down anything until I have an acceptance but I feel ya, things are getting ridiculously expensive.