Please help me with this question!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Riverdance

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

So I know more than half of people who get into medical school have research, but I am a sophomore and I don't really want to do research at all. I'm already a science major and I just want to focus on tons of volunteering and clinical experience. Everything that I've done for medical school, it's because I really want to do it, it's not for my resume. And doing research would be solely for my resume.

Is there a chance for me at a good, middle tier school like BU without research?

If there is no research, what other area should I amp up my effort on?

1 year of research without publishing is just another thing on the list. Is that true?

Research is the ONLY area I lose sleep over. I promised- I looked through tons of threads and haven't found this exact question. Thanks so much, guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

So I know more than half of people who get into medical school have research, but I am a sophomore and I don't really want to do research at all. I'm already a science major and I just want to focus on tons of volunteering and clinical experience.

Is there a chance for me at a good, middle tier school like BU without research?

1 year of research without publishing is just another thing on the list. Is that true?

Research is the ONLY area I lose sleep over. I promised- I looked through tons of threads and haven't found this exact question. Thanks so much, guys.

ya

Of course you can get into medical school without research.

I wouldn't recommend it, however, especially since you're still a sophomore and have the opportunity to participate in summer research programs and on-campus research. You don't need to publish, but it's nice to have a poster/presentation done. Physicians aren't just nurses; they have to keep up with current scientific advances.

Members don't see this ad :)

I wouldn't recommend it, however, especially since you're still a sophomore and have the opportunity to participate in summer research programs and on-campus research. You don't need to publish, but it's nice to have a poster/presentation done. Physicians aren't just nurses; they have to keep up with current scientific advances.

You are lucky you are here (WAMC) ;)

Just imagine the uproar you will create... all those serious SDN peeps. *scary*

In fact, I have no poster, I have no presentation.
1 summer.

I got into BU + Scholarship $10k/yr. LOL :laugh:

You are lucky you are here (WAMC) ;)

Just imagine the uproar you will create... all those serious SDN peeps. *scary*

In fact, I have no poster, I have no presentation.
1 summer.

I got into BU + Scholarship $10k/yr. LOL :laugh:

There's always people like you ;)

Hi everyone,

So I know more than half of people who get into medical school have research, but I am a sophomore and I don't really want to do research at all. I'm already a science major and I just want to focus on tons of volunteering and clinical experience. Everything that I've done for medical school, it's because I really want to do it, it's not for my resume. And doing research would be solely for my resume.

I pretty much felt the same way you do when I was applying. But, I figured might as well try it out to make sure I didn't like it lol. Turns out, I found a really cool lab and worked with some cool people. It was a great experience, if anything to let me know I don't want a career in research.

So, I did it, and it wasn't much more of a 'check the box' activity, but I got a poster and LOR out of it at least. Point is, it is a box just about everyone has checked and med schools are curious as to if you have at last tried it out.

If you really, really don't want to do it then you might as well focus on clinical experience, but really, a semester in a lab 10 hrs a week is nothing.

Yes. Keep an open mind.
Try it out.

My experience was actually fun. Got to make a few friends too!
Was worth it :)

OMG Yout got into BU?!?! Congratulations!!!
Do you mind giving me a brief overview of your ECs? Did you have a good GPA and MCAT score? If you don't want to answer these questions, just ignore them. I just got really excited, because BU is my dream school. Anyway, thanks for the reply.

Last edited:
OMG Yout got into BU?!?! Congratulations!!!
Wait, so you didn't do any research at all? Or you did research but no presentation/poster? Do you mind giving me a brief overview of your ECs? Did you have a good GPA and MCAT score? If you don't want to answer these questions, just ignore them. I just got really excited, because BU is my dream school. Anyway, thanks for the reply.

Thank you.
if you take a deep breath and reread
i have one summer of research. no presentation or poster. (phd student gave me the option but i am ... urm wasnt too excited. i like the stuff and all, but it was more of his project anyway)
mdapps 17628
its all there.
my gpa sucks.

I pretty much felt the same way you do when I was applying. But, I figured might as well try it out to make sure I didn't like it lol. Turns out, I found a really cool lab and worked with some cool people. It was a great experience, if anything to let me know I don't want a career in research.

So, I did it, and it wasn't much more of a 'check the box' activity, but I got a poster and LOR out of it at least. Point is, it is a box just about everyone has checked and med schools are curious as to if you have at last tried it out.

If you really, really don't want to do it then you might as well focus on clinical experience, but really, a semester in a lab 10 hrs a week is nothing.

You're right. And I think I'm just afraid, like I won't know what I'm doing in the lab. But I don't want to kick myself later for not doing it.

Thank you.
i have one summer of research. no presentation or poster. (phd student gave me the option but i am ... urm wasnt too excited. i like the stuff and all, but it was more of his project anyway)
mdapps 17628
its all there.
my gpa sucks.

Yeah, I saw you had a summer of research, I tried to edit my reply in time. Anyway what does mdapps 17628 mean? I'm kind of new here. And what's urm?

Yeah, I saw you had a summer of research, I tried to edit my reply in time. Anyway what does mdapps 17628 mean? I'm kind of new here. And what's urm?

Sorry.
urmm means "ermmmmmm" like
filler.
talking to myself.
stressed
test tmr.
LOL

http://mdapplicants.com/profile.php?id=17628

i am a little more ermmm less fun to be around becuz i have test tmr. lozl:(

urm usually means under-represented minority.
usually associated ethnically...

i am an international student. (the other extreme LOL!)

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry Bannie, but you are hardly representative of an average applicant. Your lack of pubs and significant research were more than made up for by your other qualifications. :rolleyes:

OP, I would say get involved in research. BU has a reputation for rejecting extremely qualified applicants. Don't leave any weaknesses in your application that would give schools an excuse to toss your file in the reject bin.

Sorry Bannie, but you are hardly representative of an average applicant. Your lack of pubs and significant research were more than made up for by your other qualifications. :rolleyes:

OP, I would say get involved in research. BU has a reputation for rejecting extremely qualified applicants. Don't leave any weaknesses in your application that would give schools an excuse to toss your file in the reject bin.

I apologize for doing insignificant research :p

I guess I did end up wasting my PI's space.:cool:

If you really want to go to BU, remember to write the optional essay.(You will know it when you see it):thumbup:

I apologize for doing insignificant research :p

I guess I did end up wasting my PI's space.:cool:

Haha I considered rephrasing when typing the post, but you dish out way more than you get. So I considered it fair. ;)

OP, 88% of those accepted to BU have a research experience. Overall, I've read that 40% of applicants don't list research at all. You're probably safer to try it, at least for a summer's worth (like bannie22 did). A year of it is about the average experience. Keep in mind that all research isn't bench research; some is clinical patient research, and some doesn't involve science at all. If you choose not to try research, then compensate for it with a strong leadership experience or community service.

OP, 88% of those accepted to BU have a research experience. Overall, I've read that 40% of applicants don't list research at all. You're probably safer to try it, at least for a summer's worth (like bannie22 did). A year of it is about the average experience. Keep in mind that all research isn't bench research; some is clinical patient research, and some doesn't involve science at all. If you choose not to try research, then compensate for it with a strong leadership experience or community service.

Thanks

Last edited:
Thank you.
mdapps 17628
its all there.
my gpa sucks.

Your GPA sucks? Urmmmmmmmm, yeah right. Have you ever gotten a C before?

Your GPA sucks? Urmmmmmmmm, yeah right. Have you ever gotten a C before?

I think I'm still alive, so I don't think so.

I think somewhere else on SDN I said that I would kill myself if I got a C.:confused:

I am so busy emptying bedpans I barely have time to read journals let alone do any research, but I can't read too good so thats lucky.

Last edited:
Woah here... nursing is involved in a lot of research and evidence based practice is extremely important. There are many, many RN's with pHD's who do very vital, important research that you clearly are ignorant of. Once you get some clinical experience and grow up a little you will figure this out. This attitude won't fly in med school either so I would keep this to yourself.

Chill dude.:cool:

Even after I tried dispersing any possible tension we still have people that would pick up on something 10 years ago to make a fuss about it.

Chill dude.:cool:

Even after I tried dispersing any possible tension we still have people that would pick up on something 10 years ago to make a fuss about it.

wha?

I had a RN/PhD guest lecturer.
Man. I have to review that now. sucks.. it was reallly boring.

Not saying RN/PhD's are boring. just that specific lecture... damn
:(

or maybe all lectures are just boring. sigh

These days, I would say most applicants have some type of research experience. IMO it's becoming more and more important from cycle to cycle, and you'll probably find that you actually enjoy it. :thumbup:

I had a RN/PhD guest lecturer.
Man. I have to review that now. sucks.. it was reallly boring.

Not saying RN/PhD's are boring. just that specific lecture... damn
:(

or maybe all lectures are just boring. sigh

Of course all RN/Phd's are boring. Don't be ridiculous! They aren't very smart either.