Please Help Me!!!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentaldude8

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For all of you who read this I would greatly appreciate your advice on my situation. I am a 25 yr old white male dental school re-applicant. I applied early (May 18) to twelve schools, interviewed at only one where I am currently on the waitlist. I posted this same thread in the pre-dental forum but I figured that it would be wise to additionally post it in the dental forum, since most of you reading this have been accepted into dental school (and probably don’t read the pre-dental forum), unlike many on the pre-dental forum! Additionally, I imagine that many of you had to reapply before your first acceptance, so you know what its like to be in my shoes. If you have the time please offer any advice, thanks.

Stats………………….
Cumulative GPA 3.50
BCP 3.44
Science GPA 3.36
DAT:
PAT 16
Quantitative 18
Reading Comp 19
General Chemistry 20
Organic Chemistry 19
Biology 22
AA 20
TS 20

Additionally- I have lots of dental experience, research experience, community service, etc.

I don’t want to give up on my dream but I really don’t know what direction I should go! I’ve thought about retaking the DAT but I don’t think I can do better than those scores. I studied full time for two months and won’t have time to do that again now that I work full time. But, what I’m really considering is a Special Masters program or a post-bacc program. I’ve spent countless hours looking into these options and really don’t know what the best option is. Most are flippin expensive, is it worth it to go 30-50k in debt for a masters degree? Would a post-bacc program that is affiliated with a dental school be a better option? Do you have any programs that you would recommend, masters or post-bacc?

As far as calling the schools I got rejected at and checking in with the one where I’m on with waitlist, I’ve been doing that. I’ve talked to around 7 directors of admission, including the one at the school where I’m on the waitlist. Very few have told me to retake the DAT, more so then not, they say my scores are good. What I usually get is just the typical, it was an extremely competitive year and we give preference to our state residents (also heard this from private schools), those from disadvantaged backgrounds, etc. Honestly, THIS IS WHAT I NORMALLY GET! So, with the exception of one or two saying that a masters or post bacc would help, I have yet to get much objective advice from the directors. Not one of them recommended a particular masters or post bacc program, thus I’m asking all of you! There are so many different options concerning post bacc and masters programs and I really want to make a wise decision on which one I should go to. If anyone has any advice or further recommendations I would greatly appreciate it. Any information or advice is appreciated, thank you to everyone who replies!

Members don't see this ad.

i guess retake the dat and improve your pat score. but it probably was your interview that killed you. (just judging from your story)

Where did you apply, it helps to check the stats on schools you are applying to and see who they are accepting. I doesn't make sense to apply to a state school that only accepts 2 or 3 out of state people every year. Apply again, and apply right now, apply to 20-30 schools and make sure they are private schools that accept a lot of out of state people or state schools that accept more than a few out of state students. I remember I applied to a few schools and then afterwards realized they only accepted 1 student that wasn't in there 4 state area, pretty dumb on my part. Then take every interview you get and express how much you love their school and they are your first choice, then send this to them in writting also. You won't be able to be picky on where you go or how much you pay, but in the end it will be worth it.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a hunch, but can you tell us what state you are a resident of? You mentioned that you were considered an out of state applicant at the schools you applied to. I myself was a re-applicant, my grades were a bit higher but my DAT was not as strong as yours. The first year I applied I got the exact same useless responses from dental schools as you did. I didn't have my bachelors degree the first year I applied and I think adding that helped make me a better applicant. If your from where I'm from, I think this might be part of your problem. Admissions committees see hundreds of applications exactly like yours, they are looking for diversity and filling their class with a hundred people from the same state with the same stats is something they try to avoid.

Your stats don't seem unreasonable, but unless you hear from the school you're waitlisted on, you have nothing to loose, not even a lot of money, by studying for and retaking the DAT's. I think you need to research the schools you are applying to, as another poster mentioned. If they are state schools, only apply to those that accept a large percentage of out of state students. I think you should also apply to a lot of schools, private and state, and apply early in the cycle. Some of the posters have listed stats lower than yours and have been accepted to dental school. Higher DAT's can't hurt. Hopefully, you'll hear from your waitlisted school. I would not spend a lot of money on a Master's, but that's just my opinion. Good Luck.:luck:

Hi everyone, thank you for your advice. Dutchboy, I'm a CA resident……. As far as applying to 20 or so schools next year I will definitely do that! It was probably foolish of me not to do so! I have book put out by the ADA that lists all the stats, so I'll do my research. Also, I'm going to apply to a few masters programs despite the price. I just don't want to spend this entire year and not significantly improve my credentials. If anyone has any further thoughts, recommendations for masters or post bacc programs, or advice I'd appreciate it!

It's hard to get into CA schools with your stats. I wouldn't apply to a Master program unless that's what you want or can use later on. I would ask a dentist to help you with your personal statement, maybe new rec letters. Is there anything making you/your app stand out? interesting? Your PAT is low but the overall scores are good enough to get you into out of state schools, at least more than just one interview! Reapply next year to more schools.