Hi everyone. I need some help with regards to a medical leave I had to take from Dental School. Please!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mtmsoccer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So during my second year of dental school I ended up having various illness throughout the year including a huge laceration on my index finger, 3 instances of a MRSA infection and a few more things. I tried getting through the year but it became to much pressure and I ended up failing a course and maybe a second one as well. However I took many exams when I really shouldn't have because I wasn't doing so well. I ended up seeing academic affairs and they forced me into taking a medical leave saying a bunch of reason I now find to be untrue and basically they lied to me and forced me to take a full year off and return to repeat the year. I have no problem with doing this, however I am not guarenteed back "on paper" but a counselor said that I shouldn't worry about that since I am on Medical Leave and not a Leave of Absence.

Is there any way they can refuse to take me back for the 20-21 year?

Members don't see this ad.

That's a question for your attorney.

EDIT: As someone mentioned, get things in writing.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
All of the people who took medical leave at my school came back the following year. It would help to have things on paper, email, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
you don't need an attorney to request the decision on paper.

get it in writing that the school intends to enroll you in '20-'21.