i had the same thing happen, actually I diagnosed myself with hyperTH in med school. Turns out I had mild graves (without the bulgy eyes etc). i did an endo rotation and worked with a thyroid expert (at a very reputable institution) who told me everyday i should get my thyroid zapped (radioactive). this would mean instead of tapazole, i would later have to take synthroid (more than 1/4 will have to take synthroid as posted earlier).
BUT keep in mind, this is the US way. In most other countries, Japan and most of Europe, they do not believe radioactive iodine should be the knee jerk reaction. in Japan where hyperTH is rampant, people will remain on tapazole forever. note that synthroid is the safer of the 2 drugs. if you take tapazole, they have to monitor your TSH more frequently and your WBC has to be checked if ever you develop a cold/fever etc for fear of agranulocytosis, an adverse side effect of tapazole. synthroid has been around for decades and decades and though synthetic is exactly like what your own body makes--is VERY safe, one of the most commonly prescribed drug (as long as it's not abused, i.e. diet users).
so in the end, i'm too lazy to get zapped but I will have to one day. it is much easier to deal with hypoTH then hyperTH, especially in pregnancy (it's more difficult to control TSH levels with Tapazole).
i've had it for a long time, of all the doctors I've spoken to (~8-all specialists) only 1 has ever recommended staying on Tapazole for more than 1 year (~25% will be disease free after being on Tapazole for ~6months--need to check that chart again though).
whatever you do, get treated. i had a resting HR of 125 and that's NOT a good thing even if I could eat whatever the hell I wanted and never exercise
feel free to PM me