Please help - Need Advice! SMP or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Apefromthepast

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am a Texas resident who applied this cycle but only got one interview. I think the main reason was that I applied late. I applied towards the end of June, but I was taking the MCAT beginning of August (which I ended up voiding), which probably held my application from being looked at.

My stats were sGPA 3.22, cGPA 3.38 and MCATs are 26 (08 PS, 07 VR, 11 BS) and 30 (11 PS, 10 VR, 09 BS).
I think I had a good amount of EC : 210 hours of shadowing under two surgeons, research (got a small grant from UT), tutoring, I am a resident assistant etc.

My weakest spot in app has been my GPA so I was thinking of doing the UNT SMP program. What to do you guys think? Should I work on some other aspect of my app as well?

Now, here is where it gets complicated. I was accepted into TCOM this cycle so I am currently wondering between going to TCOM or doing the UNT SMP for a possible MD acceptance.
My reason for even thinking about rejecting TCOM is international medicine. I am originally from India and I would like to potentially work there in the future, and I have heard that their is not DO accreditation in India at least in practice.

What do you guys thing? Does anyone know more about international medicine? Can anyone provide me with their personal UNT SMP experience with respect to getting an MD acceptance the same year as the program or is that rare? Or just any advice. I will really appreciate it.

Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

Why did you apply to TCOM if you didn't want to go to TCOM?

Before, I knew my stats were low for MD schools and I just wanted to practice medicine so it didn't matter to me. But, this winter break some family stuff happened which makes it look like that I might be possibly practicing in India.

Members don't see this ad :)
Go to TCOM. Worry about international practice rights AFTER you match into residency.

If you're hard up for the MD, then an SMP is needed. Your numbers are not competitive for MD schools, especially with an imbalanced MCAT score.

Hi guys,

I am a Texas resident who applied this cycle but only got one interview. I think the main reason was that I applied late. I applied towards the end of June, but I was taking the MCAT beginning of August (which I ended up voiding), which probably held my application from being looked at.

My stats were sGPA 3.22, cGPA 3.38 and MCATs are 26 (08 PS, 07 VR, 11 BS) and 30 (11 PS, 10 VR, 09 BS).
I think I had a good amount of EC : 210 hours of shadowing under two surgeons, research (got a small grant from UT), tutoring, I am a resident assistant etc.

My weakest spot in app has been my GPA so I was thinking of doing the UNT SMP program. What to do you guys think? Should I work on some other aspect of my app as well?

Now, here is where it gets complicated. I was accepted into TCOM this cycle so I am currently wondering between going to TCOM or doing the UNT SMP for a possible MD acceptance.
My reason for even thinking about rejecting TCOM is international medicine. I am originally from India and I would like to potentially work there in the future, and I have heard that their is not DO accreditation in India at least in practice.

What do you guys thing? Does anyone know more about international medicine? Can anyone provide me with their personal UNT SMP experience with respect to getting an MD acceptance the same year as the program or is that rare? Or just any advice. I will really appreciate it.

Thank You

Hey man, I came across this thread and was just wondering which path you ended up choosing. I also want to say that I can seem to understand your dilemma and that there's nothing wrong with applying to a school and later declining its offer.

Hi guys,

Thank You