Please help - Ohio State ISP program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zzz1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the ISP pathway, is it true that you can finish up your first 2 years of basic sciences in just 1 year and then graduate from OSU medical school in 3 years total?

As an older premed, I am very interested in this possibility. Any OSU folks please clarify if this is true with the ISP program.

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

zzz1 said:
In the ISP pathway, is it true that you can finish up your first 2 years of basic sciences in just 1 year and then graduate from OSU medical school in 3 years total?

As an older premed, I am very interested in this possibility. Any OSU folks please clarify if this is true with the ISP program.

thanks

Well, it USED to be true. I'm pretty sure they don't let you finish in one year anymore. You can finish up your year 2 coursework early and have extra time to study for the boards, and I "think" (not positive) that you can start clinical rotations a little early.

Currently, you are allowed to take the first two Med 2 modules over the summer after Med 1. Part of the reason you can't finish in one year is that all students have to take two medical humanities courses (Patient Centered Medicine and Physician Development) over the course of the first two years.

Personally, I think it would be EXTREMELY difficult to finish the two years in one. In essence, it's less than one year, because Independent Study doesn't start until after the anatomy module in November. I think a lot of the people who have done it in the past had an extensive science background so that a lot of the coursework was basically review for them anyways.

In any case, ISP is still great for non-traditionals. It gives you much greater control over your time.

It would be near impossible to do, but in theory the coursework could be done. You would still need to do 4 years to do the physician development (~physical exam) and PCM - patient centered medicine - medical humanities courses. They are pretty much just Fluff, but they are required.

Not to mention if you tried to this you would likely experience the worst year of your life...its hard to fathom the volume of information until you get here...was for me...