Please Help on MCAT Prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulOne

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a 4th year undergrad and I haven't touched any physics and chemistry since 1st year. Also, I didn't do too hot in these classes (mostly B's and one A). I would just like to know which would be the best MCAT prep books for Chemistry and Physics.

I am currently borrowing my friend's Princeton review book and they are way too dense and a bit boring to read. I want something more engaging and interesting to read.

I was just thinking of buying Examkraker's and Berkeley Review for these two subjects. Any advice?

Thank you

:D

Members don't see this ad.

The Examkrackers for Physics and Chemistry are good, and NOVA Physics is excellent when you need to review in more detail. It helped me understand physics better than my actual classes...

Hi, I had a few question how to prep for the test.

1. People say, don't get stuck on memorizing everything. To me I feel like I should memorize everything and then apply what I know to solve whatever the problem is. Is this too idealistic? How do others feel about memorizing?

2. Number difference aside, what are the differences between a 11,11,11 and a 13,13,13? Is it like the difference between a person who can memorize everything and a person who is able to synthesize explanations from given ideas? What is this factor that can give someone that nudge into the 36+ area?

3. Please help me study smarter, not harder. I am planning on studying this summer for the test. What is the best way to divide up the workload when studying? 2-3 Sections per day or one section per week and alternating?

All the best. Thanks.

The thing is that you can memorize everything in the world, but if you cannot read, analyze and interpret passages (the majority of the test) you will not do well. So you should have a strong understanding of the material, but you need to be able to understand new ideas and scenarios quickly.

As for studying, it really is up to you and how well you know the material. If you have a strong background in the material, you could probably review all the material in a month and then start practicing. However, if you aren't confident, you might spend an additional month studying the basics.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know someone who bombed a passage in bio even though they had spent 2 years doing research on the specific topic asked about. You don't need a lot of memorized, prior knowledge to do well on the MCAT.

The key is building up test taking skills by practicing as many problems as possible. I'd learn the material during the first month or so (while doing problems), then focus solely on practice problems where you go over stuff you missed, then practice MCATs for the final 4 weeks. Memorization is NOT the key to success, test taking skills and familiarity with the MCAT are more important.

Hi everyone... I just posted an entry in my new blog about how I prepared for the MCAT. At the beginning of my MCAT prep, I scored a 22 on my first practice test, and in the end, I got a 33 on the real thing. I know it's not a super score, but I worked hard for it. I thought someone might benefit from reading about my study habits.

Check out my MCAT prep tips.

Thanks! Constructive feedback is always appreciated as well!

why not just post in the 30+ section instead of pimping your blog =P

why not just post in the 30+ section instead of pimping your blog =P
Touché. :)

But honestly, I wrote the post without thinking about SDN. It wasn't until after the post was up that I realized that someone on these boards might find it useful.

At any rate, best of luck to all those prepping right now! I feel your pain--even a year or so removed from the process, I still sometimes get anxious spine-shivers when I think of that test. ::shudders::