Please help Podiatry boards part III

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctorpurple

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi my husband just graduated as DPM. He is going to a program in philadelphia. He wasn't told by his program that he has to take step 3. He went through the packet and all the information sent by the program. He was then told by his classmate during his graduation about step 3. He called his future chief resident and they resident told him that he has to take the step 3 prior to starting residency no exemptions and his acceptance to the residency program can be revoked. He checked all his emails from the program and all the past correspondence and it HAD NOTHING about being required to take step 3. We are freaking out. The test is in two days and the deadline to sign up has passed.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi my husband just graduated as DPM. He is going to a program in philadelphia. He wasn't told by his program that he has to take step 3. He went through the packet and all the information sent by the program. He was then told by his classmate during his graduation about step 3. He called his future chief resident and they resident told him that he has to take the step 3 prior to starting residency no exemptions and his acceptance to the residency program can be revoked. He checked all his emails from the program and all the past correspondence and it HAD NOTHING about being required to take step 3. We are freaking out. The test is in two days and the deadline to sign up has passed.

I am a bit surprise that your husband is not aware of the requirement of all Podiatry residency programs in Pennsylvania require passage of the Part 3 as a condition for starting their PGY-1. This is a well known fact for people considering residency training in Pennsylvania. The reason why Part 3 is a requirement in Pennsylvania is that there is NO medical training license (similar to other states) for Podiatry residents. All Podiatry residents actually get a full license, which requires Part 3 passage. If your husband does not pass Part 3, he will not be able to start his residency training. As Ankle Breaker recommended, your husband needs to contact the residency director now.

It is very common knowledge that PA requires Part 3. I wouldn't blame it on the program. Hopefully he did well yesterday on the test. Have him get in touch with the program to figure out his options like others said. If he did not pass part 3 it is very likely he will not be able to start.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is very unfortunate to hear, do you have any updates on if they were able to allow him to take his exam?

Yes! There was a miracle. He was a member of some podiatry organization and he talked to someone who knew the executive director of prometric and got him in the schedule to take the test even got him scheduled next to our home location even though everything was full online. He was able to take step 3

Reactions: 7 users