please,help.POSTDOC

Started by docto
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

docto

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hello
I read most of the pos-doc threads in this website..please I need help
I just graduated from medical school
1-what is the best post-doc to do to get into family medicine? is it public health? or..? since I'm very interested in FM
2-is post-doc going to increase my chances to get into family or psych or IM?
3-is there a degree (diploma)by the end of the post-doc fellow?
4-is there any advantage of it in the future? e.g ;I heard it increases the chance to become an attending?!
thank you very much
 
hello
I read most of the pos-doc threads in this website..please I need help
I just graduated from medical school
1-what is the best post-doc to do to get into family medicine? is it public health? or..? since I'm very interested in FM.

I don't think you need to do a post-doc to get into FM. FM is not very competitive.

2-is post-doc going to increase my chances to get into family or psych or IM?

That depends on how well your post-doc mentor is connected to the residency program selection committees.


3-is there a degree (diploma)by the end of the post-doc fellow?

No

4-is there any advantage of it in the future? e.g ;I heard it increases the chance to become an attending?!

Everyone who finishes residency can become an attending.


thank you very much
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hello
I read most of the pos-doc threads in this website..please I need help
I just graduated from medical school
1-what is the best post-doc to do to get into family medicine? is it public health? or..? since I'm very interested in FM.

I don't think you need to do a post-doc to get into FM. FM is not very competitive.

2-is post-doc going to increase my chances to get into family or psych or IM?

That depends on how well your post-doc mentor is connected to the residency program selection committees.


3-is there a degree (diploma)by the end of the post-doc fellow?

No

4-is there any advantage of it in the future? e.g ;I heard it increases the chance to become an attending?!

Everyone who finishes residency can become an attending.


thank you very much

thank you soo much 🙂
 
so technically postdoc is not that important in clinical situations,so in what is it going to help ? does it increase my chances in any work in the future? as you know guys it's 2 years in most programs !
 
A post-doc (meaning full-time professional research under the supervision of a senior scientist) is for people who envision careers involving research. It is not advisable if you are planning a purely clinical career in family medicine. Clinical research would marginally increase your chance of getting a residency, but you have to be qualified to begin with. A post-doc is mostly considered post-PhD training and off of the clinical path. It is unlikely to increase your chances of a future clinical career.
 
A post-doc (meaning full-time professional research under the supervision of a senior scientist) is for people who envision careers involving research. It is not advisable if you are planning a purely clinical career in family medicine. Clinical research would marginally increase your chance of getting a residency, but you have to be qualified to begin with. A post-doc is mostly considered post-PhD training and off of the clinical path. It is unlikely to increase your chances of a future clinical career.
thanks alot! you and echod answered my questions that I've been searching for a while..thanks 🙂
 
For a foreign Medical Graduate it can help if it is your only chance to
1. Earn money and prepare for the match
2. Get into contact with MDs who can help u get into a residency.
3. If u have very good scores...the University programs could be interested in somebody with a research background.

Look if u are sure about FamilY medicine and u just want to be an attending...I dont se how it adds much. However if you want an IM and then later a strong subspecialty...it could be helpful later on when you apply for fellowship