please,help.POSTDOC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docto

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello
I read most of the pos-doc threads in this website..please I need help
I just graduated from medical school
1-what is the best post-doc to do to get into family medicine? is it public health? or..? since I'm very interested in FM
2-is post-doc going to increase my chances to get into family or psych or IM?
3-is there a degree (diploma)by the end of the post-doc fellow?
4-is there any advantage of it in the future? e.g ;I heard it increases the chance to become an attending?!
thank you very much

Members don't see this ad.

Wait, oh yes wait a minute mister postman

hello
1-what is the best post-doc to do to get into family medicine? is it public health? or..? since I'm very interested in FM.

I don't think you need to do a post-doc to get into FM. FM is not very competitive.

That depends on how well your post-doc mentor is connected to the residency program selection committees.

No

4-is there any advantage of it in the future? e.g ;I heard it increases the chance to become an attending?!

Everyone who finishes residency can become an attending.

thank you very much

Members don't see this ad :)
hello
1-what is the best post-doc to do to get into family medicine? is it public health? or..? since I'm very interested in FM.

I don't think you need to do a post-doc to get into FM. FM is not very competitive.

That depends on how well your post-doc mentor is connected to the residency program selection committees.

No

Everyone who finishes residency can become an attending.

thank you very much

thank you soo much :)

so technically postdoc is not that important in clinical situations,so in what is it going to help ? does it increase my chances in any work in the future? as you know guys it's 2 years in most programs !

A post-doc (meaning full-time professional research under the supervision of a senior scientist) is for people who envision careers involving research. It is not advisable if you are planning a purely clinical career in family medicine. Clinical research would marginally increase your chance of getting a residency, but you have to be qualified to begin with. A post-doc is mostly considered post-PhD training and off of the clinical path. It is unlikely to increase your chances of a future clinical career.

A post-doc (meaning full-time professional research under the supervision of a senior scientist) is for people who envision careers involving research. It is not advisable if you are planning a purely clinical career in family medicine. Clinical research would marginally increase your chance of getting a residency, but you have to be qualified to begin with. A post-doc is mostly considered post-PhD training and off of the clinical path. It is unlikely to increase your chances of a future clinical career.
thanks alot! you and echod answered my questions that I've been searching for a while..thanks :)

For a foreign Medical Graduate it can help if it is your only chance to
1. Earn money and prepare for the match
2. Get into contact with MDs who can help u get into a residency.
3. If u have very good scores...the University programs could be interested in somebody with a research background.

Look if u are sure about FamilY medicine and u just want to be an attending...I dont se how it adds much. However if you want an IM and then later a strong subspecialty...it could be helpful later on when you apply for fellowship