Please help- should I pass/fail organic chemistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mountainmama23

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a sophomore pre-vet student whose college is all online right now. My school has a weird organic chem curriculum and instead of having orgo 1 and orgo 2 with a lab each, we have the following: orgo 1 without lab (3 credit hours), orgo 2 with lab (4 credit hours), and analytical chem with lab (4 credit hours). For vet schools, since I need 8 credit hours of organic chemistry, I have to take all three.
This semester, I signed up for analytical chem and orgo 1 because analytical lab is a prerequisite for orgo 2 lab (it’s very confusing I know). I was told it was hard to take both at once but doable and I signed up before I knew about covid. A month or so in, after the add drop period, I knew it was too much for me. It was all online and I was failing the exams, so I withdrew from analytical (on my transcript it says withdrawal due to covid or something like that). Now my problem is that I am at high risk of getting a C in orgo 1 even though I dropped the other. I would have to get an 85 on the final to get a B- in the class and I have never gotten that high on a chem exam. My question is whether I should pass fail it and retake it or take my chances. I don’t want to risk a C. I also had a C+ in gen chem 1 and a B- in gen chem 2 so I can’t get another C.
To give some more context, I have really been struggling this semester with the all online format and personal things going on. I am actually planning on getting evaluated for ADHD and anxiety after the semester is over because I feel like something is up. When I put the time into the class, I understand the material quite well. I am just having an exceptionally hard time focusing on anything (I have an attention span of about 2 minutes) and this makes it impossible to keep up with a class like organic chemistry. I’ve been struggling with focus for a while now so I’m hoping something comes to light about that over break and I can come back stronger in the spring.
So, any advice? I’m just terrified that withdrawing from analytical and pass failing orgo 1 in the same semester will look awful on my applications. I do have a chance of getting a B- in the class, but it is kind of slim. If I did get a C, I would probably retake it anyways to improve my grade and then the two grades would have to be averaged. Another thing I was thinking about is that if I pass/failed orgo, I could try to take it at a different school over the summer or something- at another school, I would only have to take 2 orgo classes instead of 3. My school is also notorious for having an awful and hard chem department. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

At least where I went to school, a pass/fail class didn’t affect your GPA in any way. It didn’t raise or lower it, it just didn’t count at all. In your case, where at best you may get a B-, I would absolutely take the pass. If you thought you’d get an A and would help your GPA I’d say take the grade, but having something that is neutral would be better than bringing your GPA down. You could retake it but (and no offense meant), so far your track record with chem doesn’t sound that great so I’d pto a ly take the pass. With that said, it may also lead to questions if you take grades in all your other classes and P/F that one, so I’d maybe consider making your whole semester P/F? I’d have to do math and play with a GPA calculator to see what was more “worth it” in regards to total effect.

Reactions: 1 user
My initial thought was you should make sure the vet schools you plan to apply to will accept a P/F prereq. I know things are different due to COVID but I would want it in writing from my top choice vet schools that P/F is ok before making that decision.

Also, I personally would probably take o-chem elsewhere so I only needed 2 semesters vs 3 (as long as that would satisfy the degree requirements at your current school). But also make sure that's kosher with your top vet schools before you do it. Some have funky rules, like Oklahoma State required o-chem to be taken at a 4-year university when I applied last cycle (which could make it more difficult and/or expensive to take elsewhere).

Reactions: 1 user
My initial thought was you should make sure the vet schools you plan to apply to will accept a P/F prereq. I know things are different due to COVID but I would want it in writing from my top choice vet schools that P/F is ok before making that decision.
I didn't explain this very well but I am pretty sure most schools will not accept a pass/fail prereq, which is why I was thinking that I would definitely need to retake the class if I pass/failed it. I could technically get a C and apply to vet school with that, but I know it won't look good so I thought it might be better to pass/fail and retake it and get a better grade. During COVID times, I was hoping they would be more understanding of that. So essentially, there isn't really a way I could just pass/fail it and not retake it.