Please help!! Took both intro to bio courses, but both appear as bio 1 on transcripts (will make sense below)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

d9m7

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm kinda stuck.

So, I took both intro biology courses required by most if, not all the dental schools. The problem is I took one (focused on evolution) at my school and one at community college (focused on cellular and molecular processes). I took the second course at CC because it conflicted with the courses I needed for my major (scheduling issues for 3 consecutive semesters). The CC course is the equivalent to my school's bio 2 course, but I couldn't transfer it because it was being offered at my school during that semester. (Tried to petition for it to count but the associate vice provost denied)

The problem: both show up on the respective transcripts as some variation of the name "Biology I"

Do you have any advice? There is nowhere in the application to explain this. Do you think this is something a school would contact me about? Or should I proactively reach out and explain? Or do you think the application would be dismissed because they might think I took the same course twice at different schools?

Feeling a little paranoid right now. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

If your school is giving credit for the CC course as bio 2 (for graduation purposes even if it shows twice as Bio 1) it should be ok, if that makes sense. I would reach out to the schools individually to make sure, and give you peace of mind.

Hi there, did you already input your courses on AADSAS? When you complete transcript entry, you have to enter the prefix, course title, and course subject. For the course subject, I would recommend selecting Cellular and Molecular biology (something along those lines) for the Biology I course that deals with cellular/molecular biology. For the other Biology I course, I would recommend selecting Evolution and Diversity (something along those lines) as the course subject.

If AADSAS gives you a hard time about it or corrects it to a course subject that doesn't describe the course, you can always appeal by emailing them the course's description from the college's catalog!