Please Help! U of Minnesota, U of Michigan, U of Tulane, or GWU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noelski

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello folks! I would be very appreciative of your assistance...

I have about a WEEK to decide on a MPH program. I´m choosing between: Nutritional Epidemiology MPH w/global health concentration @ UMN (in-state tuition, where I did my undergraduate in Nutritional Science, 38 credit program); Human Nutrition MPH w/global health certificate @ UM (out of state tuition, 60 cr. program, larger emphasis in global health); Nutrition MPH @ Tulane (out of state, 60 cr.?, strong international health emphasis); Global Health MPH @ GWU (out of state, 60cr, great location).

All have their respective advantages; however, I´m leaning towards Minnesota and Michigan. I feel Michigan fits my interest (global health nutrition) best, and I have been impressed with their faculty. Further Michigan offers a certificate of global health vs. only a concentration at Minnesota. Can anyone explain the difference between the two?Unfortunatly, I am working abroad this year so I will not be able to visit the schools. Can anyone comment on the global health department at the two schools? Would it be worth the extra 30g per year to pursue the MPH program at Michigan?
(Background: I intend on pursuing a MD or Phd in international nutrition after my MPH.)
Thanks in advance for your response.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello folks! I would be very appreciative of your assistance...

I have about a WEEK to decide on a MPH program. I´m choosing between: Nutritional Epidemiology MPH w/global health concentration @ UMN (in-state tuition, where I did my undergraduate in Nutritional Science, 38 credit program); Human Nutrition MPH w/global health certificate @ UM (out of state tuition, 60 cr. program, larger emphasis in global health); Nutrition MPH @ Tulane (out of state, 60 cr.?, strong international health emphasis); Global Health MPH @ GWU (out of state, 60cr, great location).

All have their respective advantages; however, I´m leaning towards Minnesota and Michigan. I feel Michigan fits my interest (global health nutrition) best, and I have been impressed with their faculty. Further Michigan offers a certificate of global health vs. only a concentration at Minnesota. Can anyone explain the difference between the two?Unfortunatly, I am working abroad this year so I will not be able to visit the schools. Can anyone comment on the global health department at the two schools? Would it be worth the extra 30g per year to pursue the MPH program at Michigan?
(Background: I intend on pursuing a MD or Phd in international nutrition after my MPH.)
Thanks in advance for your response.

warning: the GHIC at michigan is pretty much just getting off the ground. when i was there (a year ago), there was no overriding structure to the concentration, and it was just a required set of 5 courses that you took, with a capstone course at the end that really should've *kicked off* the 2-year experience. having said that, i think they're doing a lot of work on restructuring the concentration, and mark wilson and howard stein are brilliant dudes. plus, your field experience abroad will be funded.