please help. What should i do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2B_ornot_2B_MD

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently doing a DIY postbacc and i am enrolled in bio 2, biochemistry, physics 2, organic 2, and a research credit And i also work as a tech part time in the ER. This in itself is a lot of work but on top of this i have been studying for the mcat for the past month. I am currently registered to take the test on may 13th however im not sure if im studying for the mcat as effectively as I could if I was doing it by itself. My question is should i keep pounding it out since i have already started or should i just wait and study during the summer and take it towards the end of the summer i was thinking possibly the july 28th test. As you all know the disadvantage of taking the test that late is that i cant submit my application early. Please help what should i do?

Members don't see this ad.

Focus on classes first and foremost. If you don't, and keep trying to squeeze the MCAT in there, the most likely scenario is:

lousy last semester GPA pre-application + lousy MCAT score + early app

BETTER would be:

solid last semester GPA pre-application + great MCAT score taken in late summer + 2018 application

Reactions: 1 user
We don't know your science aptitude. You might be smarter than me and absolutely killing your classes right now. To know if you're ready for your May 13th test would be to gauge it by your diagnostic practice tests, especially the AAMC ones. If you aren't hitting your goal score or at least 500+, I would postpone.

We don't know your science aptitude. You might be smarter than me and absolutely killing your classes right now. To know if you're ready for your May 13th test would be to gauge it by your diagnostic practice tests, especially the AAMC ones. If you aren't hitting your goal score or at least 500+, I would postpone.
How soon before my test date can I determine if I am ready to get the score I need?

Members don't see this ad :)
How soon before my test date can I determine if I am ready to get the score I need?

You want to peak with knowledge right before the test. People take tests as late as a week prior to the real thing. I started practice tests several months before as I had access to so many practice tests I wanted to do.

Work on your courses, kill them, continue with improving ECs (already doing good) and apply next cycle. Or, if you really killed both your classes and MCAT then totally apply this cycle.

I am currently doing a DIY postbacc and i am enrolled in bio 2, biochemistry, physics 2, organic 2, and a research credit And i also work as a tech part time in the ER. This in itself is a lot of work but on top of this i have been studying for the mcat for the past month. I am currently registered to take the test on may 13th however im not sure if im studying for the mcat as effectively as I could if I was doing it by itself. My question is should i keep pounding it out since i have already started or should i just wait and study during the summer and take it towards the end of the summer i was thinking possibly the july 28th test. As you all know the disadvantage of taking the test that late is that i cant submit my application early. Please help what should i do?

I often tell the students I work with to remember that the sky is NOT actually going to fall if you don't apply this year. In your case, you should not guess or leave up to chance. When your practice tests say you are ready to easily get your needed score, then you are ready, but not until then. If your scores reach that target by May great. If not, maybe a month or two more will do it without waiting until you'll be considered a late applicant. OR, it is not that bad of a thing to get great scores, give full focus to the MCAT this summer, apply next cylce, and add a gap year to your app (which adcoms seem to love more and more). It is worth remembering that you can submit AMCAS on June 1 and still take an MCAT as late as mid/late July and still be in with the early group. However, that requires a 100% decision point that you are applying this year before you get your actual score. That might be good if you were "really close" on your practice test scores but wanted a few more points. If your scores are well short of where you want to be, just go the gap year route. That's what I'd advise anyway.