Please Help - Where should I volunteer/work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SailCrazy

I gotta have more cowbell
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping to start med school in the Fall of 2006. I have the time to get out and start doing some more serious volunteering/working, but I'm stuck. I feel like I can't sort through the many options. :eek:

What volunteer/work experience is best for med school applicants?

Should I get a job (or volunteer) in a hospital? If so, doing what?
Should I shadow a physician(s)? For how long? How many? What kind?
What else is out there that I should be considering? :confused:

I know many docs, and through United Way volunteering I know the HR staff at my local hospital. I feel like I could have many good options available, but I can't figure out how to determine what experiences will be best!
+pity+

Also, I have no good idea what opportunites might be available through my university.

Thanks for your feedback!

Members don't see this ad.

Go with what you like the most. Do it as long as you want or as long as you can handle it. Don't do something just to fill a spot in your app. -have fun with it.

Originally posted by premyo2002
Don't do something just to fill a spot in your app. -have fun with it.

this is so incredibly important. nothing makes you look more transparent and phony than volunteering for the sake of the application. your colleagues will not like it. your supervisors will not like you. and you will make yourself feel used.

that being said, try to find some clinical work. work in the ER is a big no-no unless you can get tied to the attending physicians or patients. being a desk-jockey is a big no-no as you probably won't be doing much relating to medicine.

if you personally know any physicians, ask them if you can volunteer for them and tell them that you are interested in medicine. but PLEASE don't volunteer for the sake of the application.

Members don't see this ad :)
why do you want to be a dr? what are you passionate about? ...thats the type of environment your gonna want to volunteer in. its okay if you get paid. the experience is what is important. they want to know if you know what doctors really do and what they have to deal with on a daily basis, do you still want to do it and can you tell me in words what a dr does?

i hope that helps.

if you are looking for a paid job that offers excellent clinical experience i would suggest CNA/CENA. you must have some time to get certified, usually it is a 3 week community college program, but since summer is coming up, if you don't have school, it would be a great time.
being a certified nursing assistant really solidified my desire to become a doctor. you get such good experience, particularly in a nursing home type setting (rather than acute care), with the patient/doctor relationship.
it involves some nasty work, i have to admit, but never have i worked so hard and gained so much personal satisfaction from a job.
also, the pay is competitive (more than $10 per hr) and most nursing homes offer shifts per diem, meaning you can just sign up to pick up specific shifts when you have time in your schedule, which is ideal during the school year.
it worked out really well for me and was of brought up at every medical school interview.

Thanks for the info. I definitely won't be doing something that I'm not interested in just because I think it will look good!

I just enjoy too many areas. (A good problem to have, I suppoose...) I enjoy working with older people, kids and those inbetween. I know that I'll enjoy most getting into a situation where I feel like I am really interacting with people, feeling like I can make a difference - and learning as much as possible.

G3pro why is it a NO-NO to work at the ER. I'm finishing EMT-b this week and i hoping to get hired as a ER-tech.

SailCrazy,

Definitely volunteer where you think you'll enjoy it, first and foremost.

I spent a long time volunteering at as a pharmacy assistant...and while albeit interesting it wasn't related to anything I wanted to do in the long run. I guess it was a good experience to realize that I don't want to be a pharmacist : ) But other than that, it felt like a collossal waste of time.

I considered working in a butcher shop so I can get ready for my career in surgery. . .