Please Help with Additional Schools!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blondie19

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has any additional advice on some schools I can add to my list. I have the MSAR but its hard to get a feel for the schools environment off of just the numbers. Any feedback would be very appreciated! I am currently a NC resident but have always dreamed of going to a cali school.

Double Major: Nutrition Science and Human Biology
cGPA >3.85
sGPA >3.8
Waiting on my MCAT Score but should be around a 30.

First time applicant

200 hours of community based research
8 months of working at free and reduced clinic
400 volunteer hours of non medical experience
100 hours of physician shadowing
TA: 1 semester
Worked numerous small rural clinics: interest in public health/undeserved populations
Worked variety of small jobs in college to help with finances

Graduated in May 2014 but applying this cycle in order to gain more clinical experience

East Carolina (Brody)
UNC
Wake Forest
U of Wash
U of Arizona
UCI
UCLA
UC Riverside
UCSD
USC
Stanford (huge reach)
U of F

I understand that all California schools are a reach and I was just wondering if anyone else had some advice on schools.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Since you are not a California resident it is very unlikely you would receive an acceptance from a California school (unless your MCAT is unexpectedly high-35 or higher). The same is true for Washington and Florida. That leaves you with only 4 schools where you could receive an interview which is far too few when applying to medical school. I suggest adding at least 10 private schools. If your MCAT is 30 you could consider GW, Georgetown, Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, Virginia Commonwealth, Hofstra, New York Medical College, Albany, Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, St. Louis, Tulane.

Reactions: 1 user
Since you are not a California resident it is very unlikely you would receive an acceptance from a California school (unless your MCAT is unexpectedly high-35 or higher). The same is true for Washington and Florida. That leaves you with only 4 schools where you could receive an interview which is far too few when applying to medical school. I suggest adding at least 10 private schools. If your MCAT is 30 you could consider GW, Georgetown, Drexel, Temple, Jefferson, Virginia Commonwealth, Hofstra, New York Medical College, Albany, Oakland Beaumont, Western Michigan, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin, St. Louis, Tulane.

Thank you for your advice! I will definitely be adding some of these suggested schools. I heard that California did not show preference IS over OOS but I must have been mistaken. Thanks again

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your advice! I will definitely be adding some of these suggested schools. I heard that California did not show preference IS over OOS but I must have been mistaken. Thanks again
UCR and to some extent, UCD do have regional mandates/preferences. The rest of the CA schools do not need to go far afield to fill our seats with extraordinary, high stats students who are happy to stay IS. It's not so much an IS preference so much as our IS students would rather stay here! Given that the majority of CA matriculates have to leave the state, we are the largest net exporter of pre-meds in the nation, importing only the most extraordinary candidates.

Last edited by a moderator:
She has a shot at FIU, FAU and USF if she breaks 30 on the MCAT.

UCR and to some extent, UCD do have regional mandates/preferences. The rest of the CA schools do not need to go far afield to fill our seats with extraordinary, high stats students who are happy to stay IS. It's not so much an IS preference so much as our IS students would rather stay here! Given that the majority of CA matriculates have to leave the state, we are the largest net exporter of pre-meds in the nation, importing only the most extraordinary candidates.

Makes complete sense! Who wouldn't want to stay in this awesome place?

Thanks for the advice!

Reactions: 1 user
Why would you apply to Stanford over Duke? IIRC, Duke admits nearly 11% of their class from NC, far above what a truly impartial top private school would.

I dont think you will get in honestly, but its worth the shot if you were applying to Stanford anyway