Please Need some Helps !!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hee8051

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If the only reason you are thinking about applying this cycle is because your parents want you to, then wait a year, especially since it's so late now. That way you can apply nice and early next cycle.

Also, I'm no expert but from what I've heard competitive med schools like to see 10+ on each section. I hate to tell someone with a 35 to retake though, but that verbal is pretty abysmal. If I were you I'd get the opinion of an SDN advisor on that one...

Congrats on your MCAT score.

Yes, you can apply at this time of year and still get an acceptance. You may not get into a school as selective as one you (and your parents) might have hoped for, though. Your research sounds terrific and your clinical experience is above average, but your chances will also rest on your other ECs, your LORs, how well written your Primary Statement is (even more important if English is your second language and you have a lower VS), and your interview skills. If you rush into applying when your application isn't the best it can be, you could be making an expensive mistake.

How much physician shadowing do you have?
What is your leadership experience?
Have you done any teaching, coaching, TAing, or tutoring?
What nonmedical community service have you done?

Are your LORs lined up and ready to go? If not, faculty often take months to deliver a letter you have asked for.

Will you be happy to attend any less-selective med school?

Members don't see this ad :)
explain to your parents that waiting a year will vastly improve the odds that you will matriculate to a school far easier for them to brag to their friends about.

explain to your parents that waiting a year will vastly improve the odds that you will matriculate to a school far easier for them to brag to their friends about.
LOL. A positive application of what you learned about in psychology class. People are more likely to agree to what serves their own self interest.

Congrats on your MCAT score.

Yes, you can apply at this time of year and still get an acceptance. You may not get into a school as selective as one you (and your parents) might have hoped for, though. Your research sounds terrific and your clinical experience is above average, but your chances will also rest on your other ECs, your LORs, how well written your Primary Statement is (even more important if English is your second language and you have a lower VS), and your interview skills. If you rush into applying when your application isn't the best it can be, you could be making an expensive mistake.

How much physician shadowing do you have?
What is your leadership experience?
Have you done any teaching, coaching, TAing, or tutoring?
What nonmedical community service have you done?

Are your LORs lined up and ready to go? If not, faculty often take months to deliver a letter you have asked for.

Will you be happy to attend any less-selective med school?

I didn't do any shadowing, and don't have much leadership experiences,

I have done tutoring, and did some 30hrs non-medical community service.

I didn't do any shadowing, and don't have much leadership experiences,

I have done tutoring, and did some 30hrs non-medical community service.
It would be silly to apply with so many holes in your application. I recommend you make the needed improvements and apply in June 2011 in that case.

Keep in mind that 50 hours of shadowing is about average; i recommend you aim for 60-80 hours, split among 2-3 doctors, of which at least one is primary care. You might ask your own physician, those of your parents, or docs you've met while gaining clinical experience.

Find a cause you care about and give 2-3 hours of your time each week if you aren't already involved in some nonmedical community service. Examples are soup kitchen, homeless or womens shelter, crisis hotline, teaching ESL to immigrants, after-school tutoring at a middle school or HS, Habitat for Humanity, etc.

Take on a leadership role within one of the above organizations, or start a club, or organize friends to collect for a food pantry, clean up campus, make cookies for a homeless shelter, or something you come up with on your own that involves leading other people to accomplish something.

The tutoring you've done can be listed under Teaching on the application. Good for you!

How are your LORs? Do you have two science faculty who've taught you, one nonscience faculty, and a research advisor letter?

Any chance of a publication in the next 9 months, or another presentation or poster (though it's great you have one already)?

your stats are nothing special (no offense), and its too late in the cycle to be applying. I honestly would NOT apply this cycle; do you really want to be a reapplicant? They are looked at in a much different light than first time applicants.

This reminds me of many other posts where the applicant and his/her parents think that high science scores are what med schools are looking for, and regard the other parts of an application as unimportant. All the parts are important, including shadowing and personal leadership skills. I think your MCAT score is just fine and the verbal is not too low, especially if you are not a native speaker. However, don't waste your time and money on an application this season. Beef up your app with shadowing and some altruistic activity, then apply next June.