Please need your advice. Letters of recommendation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roxis

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm planning to apply to med school this cycle. Just graduated from university. I have only 1 letters of recommendation from my bio professor and 1 letter from the doctor I shadowed. Med school requires at least 3 letters. What should I do now? I don't have anyone to ask to write me a letter. Does anyone applied without having 3 letters of recommendation? Please, I need your advice. I'm really very desperate about it. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Well some med schools require letters like you said. If they do you will need more. Realistically it is probably too late at this point to try and start a relationship with any of them good enough for a solid. Look back at your classes and choose someone you did well in their class. Did you have a relationship with any of your professors at all? Do any of them know you by name? Possibly look for a non-science letter if you can. I was in a similar position due to not know any of my professors.

A lot of schools require 2 science professors. Can you get one from your chemistry prof? Or maybe another doctor, if you have shadowed more than one? You don't need to turn in your letters of rec when you turn in your application, so there is still time.

When i applied last year, one school required that you have a letter from your major (not unreasonable but I didnt have one). When secondaries came around, I didn't bother paying the 120 dollars. Call each specific school and ask for some statistics or recommendations on what to do. When i called that school they told me not to bother if I didnt have the letter from my major. Take some time and revisit some of your professors, even the ones that you were remotely close to. Some of them will ask you to write it yourself, others will probably have a draft ready. Dont stress and ask around, but don't forget to give them ample to write it and submit it.