please Northwestern please...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MisterMo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone else anxiously awaiting news from Northwestern? Word on the street is that the next round of acceptance/rejection/hold letters go out out February 15th. Lord knows I'll be keeping my fingers crossed until then.

Members don't see this ad.

the lady at NU during my interview said this week is the end of interviews and all decisions will be out by the end of feb. good luck to all, it is a kickass place!

opinionkitten said:
the lady at NU during my interview said this week is the end of interviews and all decisions will be out by the end of feb. good luck to all, it is a kickass place!

Does anyone know FOR SURE when the last interview date is???? I still haven't even recieved an invite/rejection.....i'm sure my chances are 0 right now, but just wondering.....

Good luck to those who applied to NW!

Members don't see this ad :)
the last interview date is this friday

sjashark said:
Does anyone know FOR SURE when the last interview date is???? I still haven't even recieved an invite/rejection.....i'm sure my chances are 0 right now, but just wondering.....

Good luck to those who applied to NW!

I got a call from NU about a half hour ago asking me to come in for an interview on Friday (random, I know). She said this Friday was the last interview day, so I assume if you don't get a phone call asking you to come last-minute, you're not going to be invited.

MisterMo said:
anyone else anxiously awaiting news from Northwestern? Word on the street is that the next round of acceptance/rejection/hold letters go out out February 15th. Lord knows I'll be keeping my fingers crossed until then.

Oh goodness, MisterMo, I'm DYING here! :scared: The wait is close to unbearable, especially since it's the last school that I have to hear back from post-interview, and I would love to go there. Good luck to you, and hopefully we'll get to hear from good news soon! :luck:

VFrank said:
I got a call from NU about a half hour ago asking me to come in for an interview on Friday (random, I know). She said this Friday was the last interview day, so I assume if you don't get a phone call asking you to come last-minute, you're not going to be invited.

Wow, congarts VFrank. I know you've been waiting for this one for a long time. Good luck! :thumbup:

Hey, yeah, I am a nerd who got into school and knows where his going, but still visits SDN quite frequently. For everyone waiting for NU, its a bitch waiting for the letter. I was accepted in November, and the letters went out before Thanksgiving and I had to go home over the whole break, I think I drove my family nuts the whole weekend. I even tried to pry the news out of the addmissions office that Wed., telling them I was going to gone all weekend. And, the worst was, the woman on the phone said let check, and then came back and told me I would have to wait until the letter came. I was sure it was a rejection, but somehow (my MCAT scores were nothing special and have never been published or anything like that) I got in. So, I just wanted to say good luck to everyone waiting to hear and I know how hard it is.

Uegis said:
Wow, congarts VFrank. I know you've been waiting for this one for a long time. Good luck! :thumbup:

Thank you!!! :D :D :D

VFrank, good luck at your interview!

decisions sent out tomorrow... crossing my fingers :luck:

hey, if i email/call them today will and ask them to send my final decision letter to a different address from the one they have on file, do you think that will be okay? or should i just leave things be and have my parents forward what they get to me? i really want to know ASAP and don't want to wait, but i also don't want to be a jerk and bother them with this when they obviously have more important things to be worrying about.

What interview dates are supposed to make the mailing tomorrow? Do you think Jan. 14th was too late?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think everyone will get a decision tomorrow.

anyone has a status change?

Nothing here, I assume the lack of "a decision is forthcoming" spells rejection. :D

I'm pretty sure they are making decisions on everyone in the next few weeks. Considering they just finished interviewing on Friday, they probably haven't had a final meeting yet, nor have they updated the status pages. Let's just wait and see. . . :oops:

hmmm, i just got an error when i checked my northwestern status page. (it was working fine a few hours ago)

anyone else?

Error Occurred While Processing Request

Error Diagnostic Information

ODBC Error Code = 08004 (Data source rejected establishment of connection)

[Oracle][ODBC][Ora]ORA-01035: ORACLE only available to users with RESTRICTED SESSION privilege

The error occurred while processing an element with a general identifier of (CFQUERY), occupying document position (31:1) to (31:54).

Date/Time: 02/15/05 01:43:39
Browser: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041107 Firefox/1.0
Remote Address: 70.112.41.4
HTTP Referrer: https://medicalapp.northwestern.edu/

IndyZX said:
hmmm, i just got an error when i checked my northwestern status page. (it was working fine a few hours ago)

anyone else?

I also got one, but I am guessing there is a general error.

yeah, from the looks of the error msg, it sounds like they just shut down the whole database to general users ("ORACLE only available to users with RESTRICTED SESSION privilege")

i guess theyre updating it with acceptances/rejections?

IndyZX said:
yeah, from the looks of the error msg, it sounds like they just shut down the whole database to general users ("ORACLE only available to users with RESTRICTED SESSION privilege")

i guess theyre updating it with acceptances/rejections?

I doubt they're up this late working on updating the site. Who knows! IOn second thought, I once e-mailed the dean of admissions at Stanford at 3 am Pacific, and he responded 15 minutes later. I was shocked. So, maybe they are up working on the admissions.

Congratulations on the Southwestern thing. It's a pretty cool school.

GuyLaroche said:
I doubt they're up this late working on updating the site. Who knows! IOn second thought, I once e-mailed the dean of admissions at Stanford at 3 am Pacific, and he responded 15 minutes later. I was shocked. So, maybe they are up working on the admissions.

Congratulations on the Southwestern thing. It's a pretty cool school.

I just logged in. The message hasn't changed though. Wondering if this means anything. Did your message change Indyzx?

My message is the same as is has been for months. Anyone else hear anything? Phone calls?
:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

This is KILLING ME!!

rockstar2525 said:
My message is the same as is has been for months. Anyone else hear anything? Phone calls?
:scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared: :scared:

This is KILLING ME!!

mine, too. I guess we need to wait for a few more days..

my status says 'a final decision is pending on your application.' is this what it has said since the interview? i cant remember. also do all decisions go out today? the adcom person said all decisions would go out before the end of the month, does anyone know if today is THE day or just the start?

^

Why would you even care? Doesn't the "Great Lakes region suck" and you would "never ever consider moving there"?

Change your mind after interviewing here or something?

ctwickman said:
^

Why would you even care? Doesn't the "Great Lakes region suck" and you would "never ever consider moving there"?

I care! Is today the day?!? Good luck everyone waiting to hear! :luck:

opinionkitten said:
my status says 'a final decision is pending on your application.' is this what it has said since the interview?

yeah, that's what mine has said since the interview. When I interviewed they were saying that decisions would be sent out BY Feb 25th, so I think they may only be starting today? I don't know, my interview was in early Nov so who knows if they've changed what they are doing, and all my information since then is from the SDN rumor mill.

ctwickman said:
^

Change your mind after interviewing here or something?

i still think the great lakes region sucks, but for some reason have trouble equating chicago with the great lakes region. thinking back on the location of northwestern (on a great lake), this doesnt seem to make much sense. chicago the city is pretty neat and i had a good time during my stay. the weather sucks, the outlying area sucks, illinois for the most part sucks, and wisconsin, indianna, michigan, and most of ohio most certainly suck. i interviewed to get a look at a non california school and was impressed. a city with a real mass transit system was rather amazing. chicago is nice, i will concede. it was 35 degrees and raining when i left chicago and 70 when i got home, so i will stand by my assertion that california is in fact the greatest place in the entire universe.

I woke up this morning eagerly awaiting a change in my status page only to see the same thing that I have seen for the last few weeks since my last interview! AARGH....Why Northwestern? Why? :eek:

opinionkitten said:
i still think the great lakes region sucks, but for some reason have trouble equating chicago with the great lakes region. thinking back on the location of northwestern (on a great lake), this doesnt seem to make much sense. chicago the city is pretty neat and i had a good time during my stay. the weather sucks, the outlying area sucks, illinois for the most part sucks, and wisconsin, indianna, michigan, and most of ohio most certainly suck. i interviewed to get a look at a non california school and was impressed. a city with a real mass transit system was rather amazing. chicago is nice, i will concede. it was 35 degrees and raining when i left chicago and 70 when i got home, so i will stand by my assertion that california is in fact the greatest place in the entire universe.

What the heck are you talking about, Chicago is just as much a Great Lakes city as LA is a West Coast city. Both are just big versions of everything their region represents, and Chicago is a big version of everything Great Lakes cities are---friendly, unpretentious people, hugely urban and developed, pedestrian friendly, a big focus on food and nightlife, and a great mix of old and new architecture.

Over 65 million people call this region home and a great home it is, and that's far more people than call California home. I guess we are all just delusional for choosing to live here then, especially when any of us have lived and could live anywhere in the country that we wanted. You say the area around it "sucks"--no offense but Chicago is a day's drive to 80% of the US population and SoCal is most certainly not, and that includes every city and quaint town in between here. I used to be out West. Drive out of SoCal and you have NOTHING. You know your standards are low for urbanity when the closest major cities outside of the coast are Vegas and Phoenix and the biggest metro (LA) doesn't even have street lights on the freeways, but I digress.

I hope for your sake and the sake of all people that live here, you stay in California. No offense, but we don't need people here who bring their cars and complain about putting a jacket on in the winter.

And to top it all off it sounds like this was your first time even IN Chicago, yet you were talking crap about it and the entire Great Lakes region before you even interviewed here!

waiting all this time for the northwestern disposition has really highlighted the nihilistic absurdity of everything. discuss.

ctwickman said:
I hope for your sake and the sake of all people that live here, you stay in California. No offense, but we don't need people here who bring their cars and complain about putting a jacket on in the winter. I am dumbfounded why you would even apply here. Mere curiousity?

wow you take this whole thing way too seriously. did you not detect even a hint of facetiousness in my post? did the "californios" thread wear you out or something? and for the record i am dumbfounded why you would bother to worry about where or why i applied anywhere, or why you would expend so much energy bitching about people who dont like wisconsin. jeez, have you been to wisconsin? it sucks@!

ok ill stop hijacking this tread now, try to return things to more neurotic worrying about northwestern...

No expended energy here. Just got down with our exam so I have plenty of time to read these threads now and just saw a huge amount of irony in someone who thought Chicago sucks and expended her own energy in bashing my hometown and the region that we all call home, and then when it came time to actually VISIT Chicago she ended up liking it and caring about getting into Northwestern. Why even post in these threads? You'd "never ever consider moving here."

And Wisconsin is awesome--spoken by someone who has lived all over the country and outside of it (UK). The Dells. Door County. North Woods. Over 15000+ lakes. World's Largest Rock festival every summer. And muther f'in Madtown and Brew City--no two cities party as hard as those guys--I felt like I was back in the UK. I have NEVER taken any of my friends here from California to Milwaukee or Madison and not have them leave totally impressed with the nightlife and wanting to go back. And if you actually come here to NU you better learn to like WI because you will be camping up in Lake Geneva for a week during the first week of school.

RunMimi said:
You wouldn't happen to know anything about the timing of admission decisions, would you? I'm sure we would all love you forever!

Admissions office says "end of February." Letters/decisions definetly were not made today, I can tell you that much.

Good luck to all! I hope you can come to 2nd look... it's tons of fun. I'm sincerely totally excited for you guys because this is an exciting time, and hope you guys decide to come here because it is the only med school I can think of that is actually "fun" to put it lightly, maybe at the detriment of some of our studies, but we get a LOT of free time at this school and Chicago never gets old to spend that time in...

I think the most important things to consider when choosing medical school is 1) the curriculum, because THAT more than anything else dictates your life, and 2) the location because that IS your life. You can either do a traditional curriculum with a lot of lecture hours, or a progressive one like NU where there is only 2 hours per day, and you can either be in a sleepy town or city and driving to the burbs in your car by yourself at night, be in a college town where you don't know if that girl you are hitting on at the local bar is really only 18, or be in an exciting urban metropolis like Chicago or New York and be able to run into your friends on the streets and visit them in their highrise apartments. As you can see I'm obviously biased, but my whole life I always have had self doubt about my decisions and places I have moved to, but here at NU I have not had any self doubt since it is so much fun, and I actually have a LIFE here in medical school which is amazing. I feel like I have a respectable "Chicago job" and am not just some lowly student on some campus.

RunMimi said:
You wouldn't happen to know anything about the timing of admission decisions, would you? I'm sure we would all love you forever!

I called NW today just to check the status of my decision and the secretary told me that no decision has been made yet. I interviewed WAAAAAAY back in November. I dunno what order they make decisions in, but I know they haven't mailed my letter out yet. Hope that helps ... somebody.. or at least doesn't drive anybody any more crazy.

ctwickman said:
when it came time to actually VISIT Chicago she ended up liking it and caring about getting into Northwestern. Why even post in these threads? You'd "never ever consider moving here."

And Wisconsin is awesome--spoken by someone who has lived all over the country and outside of it (UK). The Dells. Door County. North Woods. Over 15000+ lakes. World's Largest Rock festival every summer.

wait, wisconsin has LAKES!! 15000 LAKES!! sweet mother of jesus i was wrong all this time about wisconsin! LAKES! rattling off attractions in wisconsin, althought mighty impressive (wait ive been to the dells and the dells most certainly suck) doesnt really do much to convince me or anyone else not already in posession of the belief that wisconsin is, in fact, "Awesome," of anything. i dont like the midwest, i am firm in my belief that the world would be a happier place if there were one more san diego and one less...great lakes region, and thats ok. we can disagree. this being said i do like chicago, ive spent a considerable amount of time there, and wouldnt mind being downtown and never venturing into the uncharted wasteland that is the rest of illinois....

back to nu bitching and moaning, the adcom lady at the interview said decisions would be recieved by mail before the end of feb but didnt say anything about feb 15, perhaps today is the first adcom meeting for the last round of acceptances and not the day we hear back? anyone else have any mindless conjecture or berating of large swaths of the nation theyd like to share?

opinionkitten said:
back to nu bitching and moaning, the adcom lady at the interview said decisions would be recieved by mail before the end of feb but didnt say anything about feb 15, perhaps today is the first adcom meeting for the last round of acceptances and not the day we hear back? anyone else have any mindless conjecture or berating of large swaths of the nation theyd like to share?

OH GEEZ so feb 15 is NOT the tell all, end all? MAN...I'm certainly going nuts. Ah well, I guess another 1/2 month to wait. I think that I checked my status page at least 20 times today, heh. Hand it to the ADCOMs to kick start my neurosis...

opinionkitten said:
i am firm in my belief that the world would be a happier place if there were one more san diego and one less...great lakes region, and thats ok. we can disagree.

Well, if you are really sincere in making the world a happier place, I hope to God you don't move here and bring down the good energy and vibe of this region. I doubt your sincerity though because making the world a "happier place" does not result from calling huge populations of people "wastelands." You bash a region and then act like we all should move to where you are and envy the air you breathe. Sorry, been there done that, and if the latest Census is any indication, more people are moving to our "wasteland" from your state than the other way around.

nobody waxes philosophic on this thread, huh? all business?

can nobody see that by Feb 15th being a bogus date tied in amongst our most primal hopes and dreams, everything is called into question? Some callous SDN poster with the devil-may-care attitude of the multi-acceptance holder has taken schadenfreude to the next level and left us psychotically checking our status pages and wondering whether there is a god who will have mercy on us and let us live the lives we have dreamt for ourselves.

I just wondered if somebody might find it funny that our happiness is so intractably linked to administrative fiat. What does that tell us about the kind of society we have built for ourselves?

and yes, i AM a lot of fun at parties.

derzornhistolog said:
nobody waxes philosophic on this thread, huh? all business?

can nobody see that by Feb 15th being a bogus date tied in amongst our most primal hopes and dreams, everything is called into question? Some callous SDN poster with the devil-may-care attitude of the multi-acceptance holder has taken schadenfreude to the next level and left us psychotically checking our status pages and wondering whether there is a god who will have mercy on us and let us live the lives we have dreamt for ourselves.

I just wondered if somebody might find it funny that our happiness is so intractably linked to administrative fiat. What does that tell us about the kind of society we have built for ourselves?

and yes, i AM a lot of fun at parties.

I am never impressed with ostentatious use of vocabulary.

yet you used the word 'ostentatious' instead of 'showy' or 'arrogant'?

i happen to like the english language. it's a failing of mine, evidently. i'm sorry i couldn't impress you - i had cracked out my dictionary just for you.

why weren't decisions sent out today? dear lord! i want to know ASAP so that i know whether or not i have to start stressing out about making the biggest decision of my life to date.

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let everyone know that I called NU admissions today and they informed me that all decisions would go out by the END of Feb; they also said that NO decisions have yet been made on ANY file. I guess that means that we won't be hearing from them until early March via mail :oops:

icecream4me said:
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let everyone know that I called NU admissions today and they informed me that all decisions would go out by the END of Feb; they also said that NO decisions have yet been made on ANY file. I guess that means that we won't be hearing from them until early March via mail :oops:

man, i wanna know now. why did we all think feb. 15th was the day?

i dunno, but i think i might have had something to do with it. i seem to recall bringing up that feb15 date back in november when i got passed up.

i think the real date is feb25. the below info is from usnews.com

Acceptance notice to regular application for the 2005-2006 first-year class:
-Earliest date: November 19
-Latest date: February 25

I thought it was the 15th as well, I dont remember where I got that date from, though.
When I interviewed the Assistant Dean said if we hadn't recieved anything in the mail by about the 24th or 25th to give them a call...

im just curious if anybody knows whether or not acceptances/rejections come in different sized envelopes. my fiance was just accepted into a masters program, and her acceptance came in a little envelope. i have no idea what med schools do. if my mom calls me at work and tells me i have a small envelope from NW, should i start crying?