Please, post lowest MCAT/GPAs of intl students accepted into US medical school.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Platinum Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please, post lowest MCAT/GPAs for international students accepted into US medical school. Please, post the name of the school where you got accepted. Please post your stats and ECs. thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK, the reason you might not be getting a response is because your question is rather vague. Honestly, many people studying abroad because of low grades/scores go to offshore programs in the Caribbean. Those who apply elsewhere like the western european countries (Ireland) and UK/Australia have good enough stats to get into an American college, because their standards are pretty much equal to ours. The only thing in our favor is that their different system causes them not to be so strict with numbers (i.e. most aussie schools have a minimum cutoff of only a 24 mcat, but some of them require at least a 30 mcat). What you are asking is very tought to say.

Some eastern european schools may be more amenable to accepting americans who's grades/scores are subpar.

The way I read it is that Spiderman is a non US citizen wanting to go study in the US and wants to hear from other foreigners in the minland US system.

Not that I can help there not being a US student...

Oh, I think it's the other way around. I think she's American and looking for stats from Americans going abroad. The converse would be a more difficult question because each region/country has a vastly different system of calculating the GPA.

But as I said, there is not a clear answer. If grades are the reason, those kids generally head for the Caribbean and maybe eastern europe. The western European countries (and other English-speaking ones) pretty much have the same standards we do. Maybe slightly lower to account for differences in grading and standardized testing.

I believe FionaS is right: from what I've read in previous posts, RNA is an international student who is looking to get into an American school. Can't help much; sorry. From anecdotal reports, it seems your stats have to be at least as good as those of American students. The only Canadians I know who have gotten interviews in the US have stellar numbers.

But that's just my experience. If anyone has experience to the contrary, please let RNA know.

I am an intl student studying at US in undergrad. I heard from a couple intl people who got into med school that they had high GPA?MCAT scores. There are about 250 intl students who get into med school is US every year so I was wondering if I could info from a larger sample. Asmission offices would not tell me avg. GPA/MCAT scores of intl students that got in.

Why would the international students profile be any different from a US applicant? I don't think the Medical School's would have two different standards.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by The Pill Counter:
•Why would the international students profile be any different from a US applicant? I don't think the Medical School's would have two different standards.•••••Well, i think that Admission to Med School is quite competetive in the US- and if there are still more than enough qualified native american graduates trying to get in, why should a Med School bother to recruit foreign Students that do not meet the standards? Therefore it is highly probable, that you?ll have to be at least comparable to an american applicant, if you want to be considered for admission.

Perhaps there might be some exception for med Schools, that are on some kind of a mission.

I dunno. I would have to agree will The Pill Counter. I don't think your nationality counts against you when you apply.

I could be wrong but I think at least some med schools would find it attractive to sport a diverse group of students (ages, backgrounds, nationalities).

Come to think of it, I have 2 friends that are born and bread American but have chosen to keep their Danish citizen-ship (we can't be dual, don't get me started) that they got from their parents (made a choice when they turned 18). They are both in very competitive programs in the US right now. I really can't imagine that they were ever asked what their country of nationality was.

I'm rambling and the mechanism of action of cortisol is waiting for me. NF-kappa-B, here I come.

Anyway, Spiderman. Get a 4,0, ace your MCAT and take it from there. Later.

no, they might not ask you for your country of nationality, but they will ask you if you have US citizenship or greencard (i can't tell you how many times i've had to make photocopies of my greencard for various schools this year). most schools don't accept international students who don't at least have a greencard, which is why i think it is harder for international students in general...

If you have a green card then by definition you aren't an international student. The difference is between those who are eligible to stay indefnitely in the US and those who must return to their countries of origin after completion of studies. It is possible to get into med school here without a green card/US citizenship and still be considered a "domestic" applicant. For that, you would have to have a special status such as Refugee. I know of individuals who fit this description and are in med school now, paying resident tuition.

Oh, I read 'ya. That I totally agree with. I think Spiderman can get his green card when he graduates, can't he? I think there's a rule that you can get a trial green card after you complete a 4 year degree. Or something; I'm not sure.

It would be most helpful if we had actual, bonavide international students, being those who are either non-citizens or non-green card holders, logging in and answering these questions. I am grateful that others are willing to offer advice, but being an international student myself, I need that reassurance from first-hand accounts, that I'm in the running for a spot in a US medical school. So all you foreign students out there...show yourselves!!!

How hard is it to get a green card if you are a graduate of a US medical/Dental school?

Hey, I did undergrad at a Canadian University and I am a Canadian citizen. Got an interview at USC this year and I am currently on the alternate list as one of those "remain encourage, your chances remain very good" people. Don't really know what that last part means. But anyhow, I got a 34-36R on the MCAT (13-15/11/10) and a 3.45 GPA (yeah, not too great at academics). Still hoping for movement on that alternate list to get to my name. Anyhow, hope this helps.

Well, I was thinking that schools are looking for diversity, they would let applicantsin with lower stats.

ok I'm an international student (i.e no green card). I had a 33S MCAT and 3.8 gpa. I had alot of ECs. I got into WashU, Duke, and Univ of Chicago. Rejected from Harvard post-interview. Offered but didn't attend interviews at Yale, Columbia, Stanford, Northwestern, Emory, and Penn State. I sent Spiderman a comprehensive PM yesterday, but Geek666, I couldn't send you a PM because you have not enabled your PMs. PM me when you're able to receive PMs.

BTW it's not easy to become a US permanent resident (i.e greencard holder). Other than winning the lottery (no kidding!), it takes decades of living, working, paying taxes, and breaking no laws in the U.S.

Hey Original...can you let me know more about how you got into US med school? I am an international student, trying to get into a US med school. Thanks