Please rank these extracurriculars and work experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ihave Nonamè

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Perhaps just include a number (1-10) beside the activity (10 being the most impressive to Medical schools). I am a Junior at a UC. I have little time left and can only choose 2-3 of these to do at once. In previous years, I worked as a food server to pay bills, commuted long hours and went to school...so I have nothing relevant yet to add to my application.

-Scribe
-Patient transporter
-Pharmacy tech
-Volunteer HS tutor (in low income part of town)
-TA/IA for Physiology 1
-Experience in Neural Circuits Research Lab
-Minorities for medicine club
-Gardening club (personal interest)
-Volunteer hospital (perhaps not necessary if job acquired in hospital)

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Work experience is good but if your only extracurricular thus far is working as a food server, you’re gonna need a lot more to get into medical school.

I’d probably pick scribing, volunteering (it’s pretty much required you know), and some sort of leadership thing on the side, maybe that minorities club. You also have to fit in some shadowing.

You are pretty far behind though and will likely require a gap year, maybe even two.

Reactions: 1 user
Work experience is good but if your only extracurricular thus far is working as a food server, you’re gonna need a lot more to get into medical school.

I’d probably pick scribing, volunteering (it’s pretty much required you know), and some sort of leadership thing on the side, maybe that minorities club. You also have to fit in some shadowing.

You are pretty far behind though and will likely require a gap year, maybe even two.

The shadowing requirement isn't fulfilled by scribing?

Yes, I know volunteering is required. I was wondering if it is necessarily recommended that it be in a hospital if I acquire a paying job in the hospital. I would like to tutor underprivileged teens/children or volunteer in a nursing home.

Members don't see this ad :)
Assuming you're trying to apply without a gap year, I think the most important is volunteering. Take a look at some of your target med schools for number of hours they expect. You might have to ditch everything else in order to get enough hours.

Also yes, you can do volunteering that is not at a hospital. However, it might be less time-efficient if you're accumulating clinical and volunteer hours separately.

Definitely consider doing gap years.

Scribe. : 7
-Patient transporter. :5
-Pharmacy tech. :1
-Volunteer HS tutor (in low income part of town). :8
-TA/IA for Physiology 1. :4
-Experience in Neural Circuits Research Lab. :5 (some schools in the T20s 6 or 7 depending on your participation and output
-Minorities for medicine club. :2
-Gardening club (personal interest). :3 (fun talking topic)
-Volunteer hospital (perhaps not necessary if job acquired in hospital). :8
All personal opinion but there you go

Reactions: 1 users
The shadowing requirement isn't fulfilled by scribing?

Yes, I know volunteering is required. I was wondering if it is necessarily recommended that it be in a hospital if I acquire a paying job in the hospital. I would like to tutor underprivileged teens/children or volunteer in a nursing home.
It helps but id still do some other.

Perhaps just include a number (1-10) beside the activity (10 being the most impressive to Medical schools). I am a Junior at a UC. I have little time left and can only choose 2-3 of these to do at once. In previous years, I worked as a food server to pay bills, commuted long hours and went to school...so I have nothing relevant yet to add to my application.

Lots of people have had to work and commute throughout college and manage to develop great applications. The trick is to work on the application components consistently over the years. And actually ADCOMS like longevity too. So you should plan to take at least one gap year so you have time to build a comprehensive application. I’m not sure how you think you can possibly get everything done in the next 7-8 months, assuming you plan to apply in June 2020. @Mr. Dr. Prof. Patrick gave you a good ranking of activities but do what you are passionate about so you can write about and talk about the activity when asked in interviews.

do what you are passionate about so you can write about and talk about the activity when asked in interviews.

this

the experience itself matters less than the impact you had on the experience and the impact the experience had on you.

One of my most meaningful experiences is working as an ophthalmic technician. It is great experience in its own right, but what made it truly meaningful was that I have been very passionate about it. I have taken every opportunity to learn and help out in the clinic. I have trained 4 new employees and got an excellent LOR from one of the physicians I work with. I’ve also been impacted by the patients that I work with and it has increased my desire to pursue medicine exponentially.

On the flip side, I had a coworker who was just fired because she didn’t care and she kept making lazy mistakes that were affecting patient care.

it is very difficult to rank these activities because we don’t know what you are most passionate about and where you will have the most impact. Whatever you decide to do, do it because you enjoy it, not to check a box.

Reactions: 3 users

-Scribe
-Patient transporter
-Pharmacy tech
-Volunteer HS tutor (in low income part of town)
-TA/IA for Physiology 1
-Experience in Neural Circuits Research Lab
-Minorities for medicine club
-Gardening club (personal interest)
-Volunteer hospital (perhaps not necessary if job acquired in hospital)

Thanks.
I suggest picking patient transporter (you get to interact with patients, which most scribes do not), volunteer HS tutor (gets you credit for an experience outside your comfort zone, which TA on campus will not), and Research Lab (1 term will check the box). Add physician shadowing (40-50 hours is enough if you include a primary care doc. This does not need to be a longitudinal experience and can be completed over school breaks or at the last minute).

I agree with @Tenk that you should plan a gap year. An application filled with less-than-one-year-of-activity involvement won't reflect well.

do what you are passionate about so you can write about and talk about the activity when asked in interviews.
Just to reiterate @Cornfed101’s sentiment, @candbgirl put it perfectly. I gave you a ranking because that is what you asked for, but more important than what you do is how you do it, if that makes sense?

What I mean is that you could have the most robust application of all, but if you cannot talk about your activities - both in general terms and specific anecdotes - then you are weaker than a candidate who has done a third of what you have but can talk about them like there is no tomorrow.

I say this because I have SO many premed friends that just show up to volunteering do get the hours done and leave. If you gain no value from what you are doing, you should not be doing that activity (for application purposes)

Lots of people have had to work and commute throughout college and manage to develop great applications. The trick is to work on the application components consistently over the years. And actually ADCOMS like longevity too. So you should plan to take at least one gap year so you have time to build a comprehensive application. I’m not sure how you think you can possibly get everything done in the next 7-8 months, assuming you plan to apply in June 2020. @Mr. Dr. Prof. Patrick gave you a good ranking of activities but do what you are passionate about so you can write about and talk about the activity when asked in interviews.

Might the fact that I'm a nontrad (late 20s) make any difference?

Any difference about what? Lots of applicants are non traditional nowadays.

Yes, a lot of applicants are non-trad. What difference does this make? Are you trying to say that they all have the experience you are asking for?

I'm asking if admissions might consider the fact that non-trads have bills to pay and cannot dedicate as much time to extracurriculars and volunteering. A medical assistant job would have been a mere $12-15 per hour... food serving: $25-35 per hour. I could not afford to work for $12 per hour...and to add, in a position with little flexibility. My commute to school required 3 hours of each day. My weekdays were consumed by classes, studying and commuting. Surely, admissions would consider that my availability was not that of a young college kid without any other obligations (?).

Members don't see this ad :)
you don’t have to commit 20 hours a week. Just a few hours a week. We get a little slack, but not a ton. I only volunteer like 2 hours a week and I haven’t had anyone say I wasn’t volunteering enough.

Reactions: 2 users
you don’t have to commit 20 hours a week. Just a few hours a week. We get a little slack, but not a ton. I only volunteer like 2 hours a week and I haven’t had anyone say I wasn’t volunteering enough.
We as applicants see numbers of 150 or more as stellar...But really, that is like 3 hours a week for a year...That is extremely manageable.

Yes, two hours of volunteering per week is definitely manageable to me! I have time this year for these experiences due to financial aid and help from family. The concern here seemed to be that I had none in previous years. I was hoping admissions might give some slack for those previous years.

Yes, two hours of volunteering per week is definitely manageable to me! I have time this year for these experiences due to financial aid and help from family. The concern here seemed to be that I had none in previous years. I was hoping admissions might give some slack for those previous years.

Nothing at all? I recommend thinking hard. Most of my stuff before changing careers was just work experience, some tutoring experience. That is still valuable, and you likely have valuable experience of some kind. All of my healthcare experience and most of my volunteering has been in the last year for me.

Yes, a lot of applicants are non-trad. What difference does this make? Are you trying to say that they all have the experience you are asking for?

I’m not asking for anything. It’s up to you what you do and put on your application. You asked for help and people have tried to help you. I’m sorry that you didn’t like the info. And yes, nontraditional applicants have lots of diverse experiences to share with ADCOMS. Including everything you’ve been through and having a spouse and kids. If you want something badly enough you’ll figure out a way to get what you need to make you a successful applicant.

And working as a server, interacting with a team, multitasking, time-critical delivery, and dealing with people, is as useful an EC as anything else. I have often told people the skills I developed behind a busy deli counter directly impact my competency as a ER tech. Being successful in school AND working a difficult job AND volunteer 4 hours a week AND getting solid MCAT score puts into context your work discipline, time management, and many other characteristics that are needed to be a physician.
Building off of this, I heard someone here (maybeeee @Goro ...can't remember) say that any full time job is a big booster as most kids going into med school at 22 have never had that kind of responsibility.

I've grown tremendously from food serving. I will certainly discuss this in the process as I do agree that it is important. I did also work as personal trainer for 1 year.

I was referring specifically to those comments about the one year of hospital and volunteering experience not being enough. I questioned if adcoms would consider the fact that I was nontrad and excuse this mere one year of hospital, research and volunteering. It sounds as though this is unlikely (?)

You asked for help and people have tried to help you. I’m sorry that you didn’t like the info.

I appreciate most comments here. I merely asked for clarification about yours. You indicated that there are many nontrads and implied that most managed to acquire enough hours in the hospital and in volunteering, so I questioned it...I can definitely head over to the nontrad forum, but are most nontrads really taking a gap year or two just for volunteering, shadowing and hospital work?

I'm not looking for tense discourse. If I ask a question, I'm merely looking for an answer.

I've grown tremendously from food serving. I will certainly discuss this in the process as I do agree that it is important. I did also work as personal trainer for 1 year.

I was referring specifically to those comments about the one year of hospital and volunteering experience not being enough. I questioned if adcoms would consider the fact that I was nontrad and excuse this mere one year of hospital, research and volunteering. It sounds as though this is unlikely (?)

I appreciate most comments here. I merely asked for clarification about yours. You indicated that there are many nontrads and implied that most managed to acquire enough hours in the hospital and in volunteering, so I questioned it...I can definitely head over to the nontrad forum, but are most nontrads really taking a gap year or two just for volunteering, shadowing and hospital work?

I'm not looking for tense discourse. If I ask a question, I'm merely looking for an answer.

I’m not sure that gap year(s) is the word used by Nontraditionals. Gap years are used by traditional students who take time after they graduate to get their app together before applying. You never mentioned being a nontraditional until well into this thread. As far as we knew you were a traditional student in college (3rd year) with no ECs. It is very hard to respond appropriately when we don’t have all the info. Suggesting gap years to traditional students is common. That’s why it was suggested so many times to you. More and more traditional students take gap years. The average age for matriculation is close to 24.

I really don’t know anything about nontraditional applications. I would imagine they work on their application and when they feel confident they are ready with the best possible application possible, they apply. But I really doubt ADCOMS would totally Ignore the lack of experiences expected of traditional students. I never said years(at least I don’t think I did.). I think in terms of hours and mainly commitment.

I get the impression that you are determined to apply next June and you expect ADCOMS to just overlook your lack of experiences. I don’t think that will happen. You will be asked why medicine? You will be asked how do you even know you want to spend the next 30+ years dealing with the sick, injured and dying. How are you going to answer if you haven’t experienced this? You will have to somehow show ADCOMs that you know what doctors do everyday, how they spend their time, how they deal with patients. The only way you know this is through observing it.

Good luck as you pursue your dreams. But as @Goro and other ADCOMS always say “ Med schools aren’t going anywhere.” So take your time and do it right the first time.

I’m not sure that gap year(s) is the word used by Nontraditionals. Gap years are used by traditional students who take time after they graduate to get their app together before applying.

I would agree with what you've said here, but I feel like what exactly "nontrad" means seems to be getting increasingly difficult to define as the average matriculation age increases.

For example, I took two years off between undergrad and med school. I never really considered myself "nontrad", in the sense that I always knew I wanted to do med school and just wanted to take my time getting there/have some other life experience first. But I also don't love calling those two years "gap years" because it wasn't like they were entirely focused on prepping an application or travel/volunteering like I've found a number of my classmates did. In comparison to many of my current classmates, I definitely feel that what I did for those two years included a lot of nontraditional experiences. But I also have classmates who are much more clearly nontrad than I, in that they had completely non-medicine careers before making an unexpected turn towards medicine.

I would agree with what you've said here, but I feel like what exactly "nontrad" means seems to be getting increasingly difficult to define as the average matriculation age increases.

For example, I took two years off between undergrad and med school. I never really considered myself "nontrad", in the sense that I always knew I wanted to do med school and just wanted to take my time getting there/have some other life experience first. But I also don't love calling those two years "gap years" because it wasn't like they were entirely focused on prepping an application or travel/volunteering like I've found a number of my classmates did. In comparison to many of my current classmates, I definitely feel that what I did for those two years included a lot of nontraditional experiences. But I also have classmates who are much more clearly nontrad than I, in that they had completely non-medicine careers before making an unexpected turn towards medicine.

Can I ask what you did in those two years?

Can I ask what you did in those two years?

I worked for a certain government agency that funds scientific research. Basically spent two years being a real adult with an office job but also getting to work on some cool things along the way.

I worked for a certain government agency that funds scientific research. Basically spent two years being a real adult with an office job but also getting to work on some cool things along the way.

1571652456977.jpeg

An “office job”

I'm asking if admissions might consider the fact that non-trads have bills to pay and cannot dedicate as much time to extracurriculars and volunteering. A medical assistant job would have been a mere $12-15 per hour... food serving: $25-35 per hour. I could not afford to work for $12 per hour...and to add, in a position with little flexibility. My commute to school required 3 hours of each day. My weekdays were consumed by classes, studying and commuting. Surely, admissions would consider that my availability was not that of a young college kid without any other obligations (?).

Some people have all the luck... Try 5-6 hours everyday, 6 days a week...