Please sign this petition to conduct Step 3 exam in test centers outside the USA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medpride

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to suggest that Step 3 be administered at international locations outside of the US as well (just like Step1 and CK) for the following reasons:
- If people outside of the US can take their exams overseas, there is less competition for the US exam slots. This will ease the testing site backlogs in the US, to make US slots more available to people who are already in the US.
- Even if we (people currently outside of US) do get Step 3 slots at Prometric in the US, some states will require foreign visitors to have 14-day mandatory quarantine (e.g. Hawaii) before we can take the exam. (And we might have to do a 14-day quarantine in our home countries when we arrive back home too.)
- To add more complications, there's also the added horrible possibility of Prometric suddenly canceling our exam schedules! And airlines canceling our flights.
- To minimize all the abovementioned complications, I suggest that Step 3 be made available in non-US Prometric centers. It brings advantage to everyone.
- Step 3 is completely computer-based (like Step 1 and CK), with no actual patient encounter. Hence it should be easy to make Step 3 available overseas.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will definitely support it. Just an archaic policy. If S1 and S2 can be taken outside US, no reason S3 can't.

Members don't see this ad :)
- If people outside of the US can take their exams overseas, there is less competition for the US exam slots. This will somehow ease the testing site backlogs in the US, to make US slots more available to people who are already in the US.
- Even if we (people currently outside of US) do get Step 3 slots at Prometric in the US, some states will require foreign visitors to have 14-day mandatory quarantine (e.g. Hawaii) before we can take the exam. (And we might have to do a 14-day quarantine in our home countries when we arrive back home too.)
- To add more complications, there's also the added horrible possibility of Prometric suddenly canceling our exam schedules! And airlines canceling our flights.
- To minimize all the abovementioned complications, I suggest that Step 3 be made available in non-US Prometric centers. It brings advantage to everyone.
- Step 3 is completely computer-based (like Step 1 and CK), with no actual patient encounter. Hence it should be easy to make Step 3 available overseas.
- Moreover, Step3 does not only serve the purpose of US licensing. Completion of USMLE Steps 1-3 is recognized by other countries (eg Australia, New Zealand, Dubai, etc) for local licensing of International Medical Graduates all over the world and opens opportunities for non-US doctors attempting to do a US fellowship (with intention of going back to their own countries).

- If people outside of the US can take their exams overseas, there is less competition for the US exam slots. This will somehow ease the testing site backlogs in the US, to make US slots more available to people who are already in the US.
- Moreover, Step3 does not only serve the purpose of US licensing. Completion of USMLE Steps 1-3 is recognized by other countries (eg Australia, New Zealand, Dubai, etc) for local licensing of International Medical Graduates all over the world and opens opportunities for non-US doctors attempting to do a US fellowship (with intention of going back to their own countries).
isnt one of the requirements for step 3 a year of PG training for eligibility ? So theoretically all people should be in or around completing a year a of residency. This wouldnt really alleviate any backlogs.

isnt one of the requirements for step 3 a year of PG training for eligibility ? So theoretically all people should be in or around completing a year a of residency. This wouldnt really alleviate any backlogs.
I dont think so. Graduation and having passed steps 1 and 2 are it i believe. (Most people take step 3 during intern year)

Reactions: 1 user
I dont think so. Graduation and having passed steps 1 and 2 are it i believe. (Most people take step 3 during intern year)
1589349301645.png

they are still in residency somewhere is what the point was.

Reactions: 1 user
No, Step 3 can be taken before residency. IMGs take it before residency for 2 reasons 1) To improve the application for match (Many PDs prefer applicants who completed Step 3) 2) H1 visa sponsorship.