Please tell me I'm not insane.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CremasterFlash

Born yesterday.
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just did something I'm a little concerned about.

Background -
just turned 35.
graduated from a top LAC in 1993 with degree in history. 3.2GPA or thereabouts.
spent 12 years in finance in new york.
got MBA in financial engineering during that period.
left to start new path of life.
accepted to postbacc at northwestern.
researcher and volunteer at emergency dept and at Cook County Trauma Center, also work as a research coordinator at a genetics lab
have taken 7 classes all A, one A- but they were all BIO/PSYCH and I've just started the actual prereq portion of the curriculum.

so -

taking gen chem over the summer, emergency dept where i volunteer offered me a job which would likely allow me to publish before I apply and I would learn a lot (i hope to go into rural emergency medicine).

BUT it would mean that i would have to slow down my studies by about a year. i am really not enjoying the summer courses in Gen Chem (got my only A- so far) and feel like I'm not learning much because there is no time to ask questions and really give much thought to the concepts.

so, please, seriously, i'm begging here, money aside, tell me if it's crazy for me to take the job and slow down my studying.

Members don't see this ad.

CremasterFlash said:

Background -
just turned 35.
researcher and volunteer at emergency dept and at Cook County Trauma Center, also work as a research coordinator at a genetics lab
have taken 7 classes all A, one A- but they were all BIO/PSYCH and I've just started the actual prereq portion of the curriculum.

so -

taking gen chem over the summer, emergency dept where i volunteer offered me a job which would likely allow me to publish before I apply and I would learn a lot (i hope to go into rural emergency medicine).

BUT it would mean that i would have to slow down my studies by about a year. i am really not enjoying the summer courses in Gen Chem (got my only A- so far) and feel like I'm not learning much because there is no time to ask questions and really give much thought to the concepts.

so, please, seriously, i'm begging here, money aside, tell me if it's crazy for me to take the job and slow down my studying.

It's neither crazy nor not crazy. Based on what you've presented here, the things standing between you and med school are the rest of the postbacs, a lowish GPA and lack of an MCAT score. It looks like you already have ED research on the resume, so this new job doesn't really add much, except possibly a publication. Unless I'm missing something, I would keep going on the courses because that is where the impediment lies.

CremasterFlash said:

Background -
just turned 35.

so -

Okay your not insane cause if you are I am at 42 now in medschool. LOL

Oh and I'm going rural FP LOL. See ya