• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

staphylcoccus

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
Hello, so I got accepted to Michigan as an out-of-state from California. I really love the school and all, but I want some input about the school outside of academics, like weather, demographics, a typical student's life at UM, etc. I especially welcome feedback from Californians, but I'd like to hear from everyone! Thanks!!

Also, I've hearing things like even though Michigan is a good school in the Midwest, schools on the coast don't see the school as highly, which may contribute to some job-searching problems in the future. What do you guys think?

DC80

10+ Year Member
Dec 30, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Pharmacy
Job-searching problems? What kind of jobs do you want?

About the Ads

sleazye

10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
Ann Arbor in probably the coolest city in michigan if you're fairly wealthy and into the arts, etc. There is a lot to do there, their downtown is really nice, not much crime. It is expensive to live there but coming from CA it will probably be a bargain. As far as being diverse, Ann Arbor is pretty diverse for a city of it's size in Michigan probably because of UofM. Wikipedia says about 12% Asian, 9% Black, 75% White including Latinos. The weather...o.k., the weather is warm and humid in the summer, June and July will be in the low 80's. The winter is cold but for as far north as michigan is we don't get the really cold temps like wisc. and minn. because of the moderating effect of the great lakes. It will be in and out of the 20's for most of the winter, some days colder, some days warmer.The lakes also contribute to A LOT of cloudy days ( Michigan is the second cloudiest state behind Washington State) and some snow. The good news is that Ann Arbor is located in south east Michigan which gets the least snow in the state. They average about 50 inches per year from november to april. The beaches of the great lakes are great, you are never further than 80 miles from a great lake and never further than 6 miles from any water wherever you are in the state. So if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

staphylcoccus

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
sounds great. so how much is a typical student's rent off campus? and do you file your financial aid as an out-of-state for all four years?

GreyFox2002

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 13, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pharmacist
I've never heard of anyone taking a U of M degree lightly. It's ranked in the top 20 in the world.

sleazye

10+ Year Member
Dec 20, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student (Accepted)
Not sure about the financial aid. You should probably call them to make sure. Rent is pretty expensive. Plan on paying around 500 bucks per month.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.