Please tell me more about Michigan

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

staphylcoccus

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, so I got accepted to Michigan as an out-of-state from California. I really love the school and all, but I want some input about the school outside of academics, like weather, demographics, a typical student's life at UM, etc. I especially welcome feedback from Californians, but I'd like to hear from everyone! Thanks!!

Also, I've hearing things like even though Michigan is a good school in the Midwest, schools on the coast don't see the school as highly, which may contribute to some job-searching problems in the future. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Job-searching problems? What kind of jobs do you want?

well not just job searching, but residencies too...

Members don't see this ad :)
Ann Arbor in probably the coolest city in michigan if you're fairly wealthy and into the arts, etc. There is a lot to do there, their downtown is really nice, not much crime. It is expensive to live there but coming from CA it will probably be a bargain. As far as being diverse, Ann Arbor is pretty diverse for a city of it's size in Michigan probably because of UofM. Wikipedia says about 12% Asian, 9% Black, 75% White including Latinos. The weather...o.k., the weather is warm and humid in the summer, June and July will be in the low 80's. The winter is cold but for as far north as michigan is we don't get the really cold temps like wisc. and minn. because of the moderating effect of the great lakes. It will be in and out of the 20's for most of the winter, some days colder, some days warmer.The lakes also contribute to A LOT of cloudy days ( Michigan is the second cloudiest state behind Washington State) and some snow. The good news is that Ann Arbor is located in south east Michigan which gets the least snow in the state. They average about 50 inches per year from november to april. The beaches of the great lakes are great, you are never further than 80 miles from a great lake and never further than 6 miles from any water wherever you are in the state. So if you have any other questions feel free to ask.

sounds great. so how much is a typical student's rent off campus? and do you file your financial aid as an out-of-state for all four years?

I've never heard of anyone taking a U of M degree lightly. It's ranked in the top 20 in the world.

Not sure about the financial aid. You should probably call them to make sure. Rent is pretty expensive. Plan on paying around 500 bucks per month.