Please tell me your story.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jimjones

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you were interviewed and/or accepted to medical school and had mediocre stats, and are not an urm, please share this with me and tell me why it is you think your were given a chance. :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Mr. Jim Jones,

I haven't had an interview yet, but here's a hint for you: Don't mention the arsenic-in-the-koolaide fiasco. I don't think that will go over well. :eek: Sorry, I couldn't resist. :)

and are not an urm
What's an "urm"? :confused:

What's an "urm"? :confused:
It's Under Represented Minority (African-American, Hispanic . . . basically all racial groups except Asian or Caucasian) These groups are under-represented in medicine and therefore some med schools give "preference" to these groups (please no AA debate)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure what you mean by mediocre stats but I had a 3.38 cum GPA and 3.39 science GPA and I got into several first tier schools.
My secret to success, however, is the pitch...which involves more than just selling yourself. You have to be persistent and you have to do some work.
For example, I hadn't been granted an interview at a school that had been my first choice for as long as I can remember. It was January...the clock was ticking so I went on line, found out the email addresses of the director of admissions and dean of admissions and wrote them a 1.5 page mission statement/request for an interview/explanation of why the program best suited me. Really heart felt stuff...explained my GPA was indicative of my academic or professional potential...3 weeks later...interview. Don't get me wrong, everything I wrote was true, but often those pesky applications don't paint us in the best light.
I subsequently was wait listed....then I wrote some more...called some more....In June, I got into my dream school...I'm a first year at Yale.
You can do anything if you are willing to work...the same tactics worked at two other schools. The key is the email, that way you don't have to deal with secretaries who screen calls or read mail for them. It's a little ballsy but I think it works out if your letter is well-worded and genuine. If you need more advice on this, feel free to send me a private message--good luck.

Hi, this message is for spacecadet22, (Sorry, jimjones. I don't mean to ignore you, but I am in the same boat you are and am feeling quite anxious right now) So, Mr. Cadet, what were your MCAT scores approximately (if you don't mind me asking)? I have always wanted to become a doctor, and unfortunately a few family crisis prevented me from doing as well as I'd like of the MCAT's. Any sort of info would be greatly appreciated, because I am about to jump outta my skin now! :D :D

EllieR--it is Miss Spacecadet22 and I sent you a private message. Hope the info helps! :)