Plz help .. How does LORs work with AACOMAS ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kabtq9s

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys, I desperately need your help with this

in regards to LORs .. the aacomas site just says :
"Letters of evaluation (recommendation) must be sent directly to your designated colleges following the processes outlined by each college. All letters of evaluation and other such materials sent to AACOMAS will be discarded."

does that mean I have to call each of the 26 colleges and ask if they use the interfolio process or not ???

can somebody please explain to me (step by step) how this whole LOR for aacomas process work :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

AACOMAS doesn't handle letters of recommendation. You should have ur letters sent to interfolio (most schools accept it) or have ur undergrad institution take care of it for you or have ur letters writers send to each school.

http://www.aacom.org/resources/bookstore/cib/Documents/cib2010/2010-CIB-complete.pdf

Try this link. It will tell you what every DO school uses for their LOR service, all use VirtualEvals (NYCOM is listed as a "no" but they do, I called) and Interfolio. Or, as the above poster said, have your letter writers mail it via the post office.

If your advisor is putting their letter or committee letter up on VirtualEvals you can ask them to also upload all of your other letters, so they are released together. BUT....ask your advisor and recommenders if it is OK!!

My advisor uploaded her letter to VirtualEvals and my DO hand-mailed his. Everything got to the schools fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys, I desperately need your help with this

in regards to LORs .. the aacomas site just says :
"Letters of evaluation (recommendation) must be sent directly to your designated colleges following the processes outlined by each college. All letters of evaluation and other such materials sent to AACOMAS will be discarded."

does that mean I have to call each of the 26 colleges and ask if they use the interfolio process or not ???

can somebody please explain to me (step by step) how this whole LOR for aacomas process work :scared:

Do you have a premed committee letter? My committee letter was uploaded to VirtualEvals and as well as all of my other letters and then I could just send the letter packet to each AMCAS/AACOMAS school through VirtualEvals. Seems easier than snail mail letters.

Here's what I did. My school does not have a pre-professional committee...so,I sat down with each letter writer and asked him/her to print out approximately the same number of letters as schools I'm applying to on school/work letterhead (that means I would have a few extra left over). They printed out the letters, signed them, I stuffed them in envelopes and then they signed the seal. I checked with each of my schools to see that this was all right. As long as the seal is signed, they are considered official.

Then, as I send in each secondary, I put all the letters in one envelope and mail it however I want to with a letter included stating the contents of each envelope with my aacomas ID on it. This way they are all going together. And, the letter writer is not responsible for sending out individual letters each time I send out a secondary.

Also, interfolio is expensive, $4 a letter I think, and I have six letters times 20 schools. Its cheaper for me to mail the letters myself. Hope that helps.

Here's what I did. My school does not have a pre-professional committee...so,I sat down with each letter writer and asked him/her to print out approximately the same number of letters as schools I'm applying to on school/work letterhead (that means I would have a few extra left over). They printed out the letters, signed them, I stuffed them in envelopes and then they signed the seal. I checked with each of my schools to see that this was all right. As long as the seal is signed, they are considered official.

Then, as I send in each secondary, I put all the letters in one envelope and mail it however I want to with a letter included stating the contents of each envelope with my aacomas ID on it. This way they are all going together. And, the letter writer is not responsible for sending out individual letters each time I send out a secondary.

Also, interfolio is expensive, $4 a letter I think, and I have six letters times 20 schools. Its cheaper for me to mail the letters myself. Hope that helps.

Well if you have a patient and caring profs/committee members then yeah go save those money. But by using interfolio, most school is on their account, so the LoR is send electronically to school (same day or next day service). Besides, you don't need to bother your referees, just one, to one place, and you can save those on file for future uses if ever needed. Try going back and ask for 120 letters again, i bet you they won't be so nice anymore...:rolleyes:

Yes, they are caring...and if I have to reapply next year...heaven forbid, I'll need new LORs anyway because they will be two years old at that point.