Quantcast

plzz explain going crazy..

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

passiondentistr

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
:scared:
1. A man is injured when the bony fragment penetrates the lateral portion of dorsal column of his neck.which of the foll func would b affected at the site of lesion?

a] fine motor control of ipsilateral fingers
b] vibratory sense from ipsilateral arm [ans]
c]sweating of ipsilateral face
d] proprioception from ipsilateral leg

PLZZ explain this ...

Ibanez

Hai Ya!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please type in proper English as its hard to discern what you're trying to say when you type in shorthand.

foll is "following"
func is "function"
b is "b"

Now you can discern it, Tinman! :p

No offence, Mod, these abbr. seem obvious...

Anyway here's the answer to the Q...

1. Injury is at LATERAL "DORSAL COLUMN", where primary afferents (SENSORY) have cell bodies. AND THIS SOMATO-SENSORY PATHWAY IS IPSILATERAL.

2. Sweating is a MOTOR function (temperature is a sensory function, though)
as well as option A. which is also a Motor function.

3. Proprioception and Vibration are both functions of SOMATO-SENSORY system.

In a Dorsal Column,
Medial : Fasciculus Gracilis is concerned with Proprioception (Conscious)

Lateral : F. Cuneatus is concerned with Vibration. <== This tract is effected.

4.You've the answer... VIBRATION FROM IPSILATERAL ARM.

--> Unconscious proprioception from legs is carried through Ventral or ANTERIOR spinocerebellar tract or MORE ANTERIOR SPINO-OLIVARY tract.

Regards,
Mayank.

PS I'm on a self-destructive mode, I haven;t studied anything for the last three days... HELP ME! *cry, baby, cry*

PSS Edit-ed. Thanks to dent2k4...

dent2k4

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
:scared:
1. A man is injured when the bony fragment penetrates the lateral portion of dorsal column of his neck.which of the foll func would b affected at the site of lesion?

a] fine motor control of ipsilateral fingers
b] vibratory sense from ipsilateral arm [ans]
c]sweating of ipsilateral face
d] proprioception from ipsilateral leg

PLZZ explain this ...

Hi Passion dentist,

In the question, injury is on the lateral dorsal column that is in the fasiculus cuneatis. The spinal tract that passes this region carries sensory fibers for vibration, touch, conscious proprioception from the upper arm of same side(Ans: B). If it were to be the medial column to be injured, ans would have been D. As its the dorsal column that is mentioned Answers A and C are ruled out.
Hope this helps!

Ibanez

Hai Ya!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Passion dentist,

In the question, injury is on the lateral dorsal column that is in the fasiculus cuneatis. The spinal tract that passes this region carries sensory fibers for vibration, touch, conscious proprioception from the upper arm of same side(Ans: B). If it were to be the medial column to be injured, ans would have been D. As its the dorsal column that is mentioned Answers A and C are ruled out.
Hope this helps!

You're right...

For some reason, I was concentrating on lateral... I clearly wasn't thinking about "dorsal column" (I got lost into "other" LATERAL ascending tracts)

Well the LATERAL F. Cuneatus is concerned with VIBRATION.

And the MEDIAL F. Gracilis is concerned with PROPRIOCEPTION (Conscious).

Thanks a lot!

Regards,
Mayank.

PS But proprioception is not the function of Dorsal column alone, Ant/Post spinocerebellar and spino-olivary tract also play a role (Unconscious Proprioception).

PSS I've yet to start with Anat , any suggestions which book should I pick up for Part 1 prep?

passiondentistr

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
1] How does extra plasma water causes Hyponatremia??
I know its related to the ECF volume ie decrease in ECF will lead to hyponatremia n this inturn causes decrease in serum osmolarity .
hopefully I am rite till here ...

2]R the cardiovascular changes occuring from supine to standing n from standing to supine positions the SAME ??

boonsh

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please type in proper English as its hard to discern what you're trying to say when you type in shorthand.

I know this is going off topic, but I have to agree with Tinman.

Would you prefer "How R U 2Day?" or "How are you today?"

Why type in shorthand? The majority of us want to get licensed as Dentists in the USA where English is the main language. So why not type it the proper way? Not only is it more "professional", it's proper English communication. Grammar and spelling are pretty important things. "Becoz i'm lazy?" Ultimately, it's your prerogative.

I don't mean to give you a hard time, but I am 1000% sure this will help you in the future.

Again, I apologize for getting off topic. Back to your regular scheduled program...