PM&R boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jumpu

Tiger Mom/Physiatrist
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I will be starting at RIC as a PGY2 next year and was starting to read about the PM&R boards. Here is my question: as I currently understand it, you take the written boards at the completion of the primary residency and then take the oral boards one year out in practice, how does the timing of the oral boards change, if at all, if pursuing a one or two year fellowship immediately following residency?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,
Here is my question: as I currently understand it, you take the written boards at the completion of the primary residency and then take the oral boards one year out in practice, how does the timing of the oral boards change, if at all, if pursuing a one or two year fellowship immediately following residency?

You can take oral boards one year out of residency if you in practice or doing a fellowship.

First off, welcome to the RIC community. You'll love it.

Second, in your first year out of residency (whether it is fellowship or practice), you take the written in August, and then the oral the following May. So both are within the first year of fellowship or practice.

This is tough for a fellow- sudying while you are getting used to a new place and trying to be a good fellow is exhausting. Right now, I love my fellowship so much, the last thing I want to do is take time away from learning sports and spine to review for orals.

Best advice I can give re: boards:

1. Get Cuccarullo, get Choi, and use them as your main texts throughout residency
2. Make sure to have finished Cuccarullo cover to cover at least once, prefereably twice, before you finish residency. That way, you can merely review prior to the written boards. You don't want to be learning anew for the first time while you are starting fellowship.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the clarification and the advice. What would your recommendations be for reviewing for the oral boards, the essential articles?

I don't know- does anyone else have advice?

What I've been told is that the actual studying isn't a whole lot different than for the writtens and that what will get you by are good communication skills, patient management/advocacy skills and a solid grasp of PM&R philosophy.

Anybody have any sources on prescription writing i.e. wheel chairs, O&P, modalities?

Pretty rusty on that.

The Kessler review course is in many ways geared more for the oral boards as the written.

The Wheelchair prescription and SCI prescription sections of Cuccarullo were basically lifted from the Kessler Review Course and provide a good starting point.