PM & R for IMGs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dr.mahdis

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi
I am IMG student. I passed step one +230 and step two +240. I am green card holder. I want to know how is my chance for PM&R match in UNIVERSITY hospital. I am really interested in sport medicine or pain medicine and I know matching in fellowships in high competitive fields is really hard for students who graduated from community hospitals.
Also I appreciate if any body give me some information about PM&R job market and quality of life after graduation. I am really really interested in neurology but because my family is very important for me I want to have more time to spend with them and in neurology I don't think it is possible even after graduation from residency. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I do not understand what those scores mean. If you want to do a rehab residency you will probably need to arrange a rotation or two in the USA in rehab. Get good letters of rec and apply. You will also need to match into a preliminary medicine or preliminary surgery position to complete your intern year.

Please don't do PM&R because it looks easy.

I think that it is silly to plan for fellowship at this point. What happens if you don't match to Sports or Pain and are stuck with PM&R? Go into the residency that you wouldn't mind working in for the rest of your life...and see fellowship opportunities as a perk.

I haven't met a PM&R resident who struggled getting fellowship out of residency. Part of that could be selection bias...but I don't think that it is incredibly difficult to match SOMEWHERE. Does that mean that you will make into Harvard or Kessler spine? No...but generally PM&R residents are competitive for Sports or Pain fellowships. All of the ACGME PM&R programs are affiliated with university hospitals to my knowledge.

Be sure to check read this:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/pm-r-advice-to-applicants.1114792/

I haven't met a PM&R resident who struggled getting fellowship out of residency. Part of that could be selection bias...but I don't think that it is incredibly difficult to match SOMEWHERE.

Most likely selection bias on your part...at least for the competitive residencies. There are plenty of residents who fail to match in ACGME interventional pain and ACGME sports. Aside from these, I agree, just about everyone gets the fellowship subspecialty they want.

Reactions: 1 user